Banned
Daps
IMF approves $3.7 billion loan for oil-rich Angola

ap.png

by ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: Sat, December 8, 2018 7:09 AM Updated: Sat, December 8, 2018 7:09 AM
shares
https://newsok.com/article/feed/7752301/imf-approves-37-billion-loan-for-oil-rich-angola#comments

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The International Monetary Fund says it has approved a three-year loan of about $3.7 billion for Angola, which seeks to diversify its economy and curb corruption after a new president took office last year.

The IMF said Friday that the loan aims to help the southern African country restructure state-owned enterprises and take other measures to improve economic governance.

Angola had experienced a surge in growth because of oil exports under former president Jose Eduardo dos Santos, but poverty and cronyism persisted. A fall in commodity prices years ago tipped the Angolan economy into crisis and showed that it was too reliant on oil.

President Joao Lourenco, who succeeded dos Santos, has distanced his administration from his former boss, pledging to fight corruption and meeting with government critics.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra

ap.png

by ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: Sat, December 8, 2018 7:09 AM Updated: Sat, December 8, 2018 7:09 AM
shares

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The International Monetary Fund says it has approved a three-year loan of about $3.7 billion for Angola, which seeks to diversify its economy and curb corruption after a new president took office last year.

The IMF said Friday that the loan aims to help the southern African country restructure state-owned enterprises and take other measures to improve economic governance.

Angola had experienced a surge in growth because of oil exports under former president Jose Eduardo dos Santos, but poverty and cronyism persisted. A fall in commodity prices years ago tipped the Angolan economy into crisis and showed that it was too reliant on oil.

President Joao Lourenco, who succeeded dos Santos, has distanced his administration from his former boss, pledging to fight corruption and meeting with government critics.

I wonder how this loan will be used?
:ehh:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
At least Bolton is being 100% blunt about the usa's true intentions. But very stupid if the usa wanted to actually advance it's interests in the area.

I'll be surprised if the usa makes it outta the 2020s

American policy-makers, vis-a-vis Africa, are quite dumb. I'd tell them what to do, but I'll never get over what they did to Patrice Lumumba :yeshrug:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I wonder how this loan will be used?
:ehh:

$3.7 Billion...man I hope they don't blow this on some dumb stuff.

If you can't manage $100k, what makes you think you can handle $3.7 billion.

Take loans you can't repay and end up in debt traps and have your natural resources repoed African country brehs :francis:

African countries need to sit down and set their foundation first before borrowing money