The Amos n Andy Show

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
Bruh, I'm on a 50 mg edible rn, watching this :dead:

It's actually really good, the main characters are coli brehs and everyone else are normal Black folk confused and tired of these goofy ass nikkas

A lot of those corny cac shows from the 50s and 60s that came after lifted a lot from this show alone

I know the really racist historty behind it, but 99% of the Black folk there are like I said just...normal, there's working class all the way to government officials Black folk, we really need that today :francis:

This shyt could've been an early Martin episode, breh's wife is out of town but needs to pretend that he has a baby to stay in his uncle's WILL :mjlol:

They don't even give the jit a name :dead:

Andy's stupid ass girl friend is a timeless character :dead:

But the women are all lovely women, I mean that in the most respectful way...I would've beat the breaks off em back in the day tho :wow:

The guy who plays Andy, Spencer Williams, was a war veteran, government worker and among the first Black full length movie directors, and was in his early 60s? when this was airing

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Not only did this show pave the way for a lot of Black comedy sitcoms, but I see this episode even paved the way for the Flintstones episode, where Fred wrote his rich Uncle Tex a letter saying they had a baby boy they named after him, so he could be in his will.

You know, hearing the opening song of the show may sound a little depressing and outdated, but it doesn't sound much different than the style of the "Good Times" and "The Jeffersons" opening theme song, with the so-called African-American gospel sound. In fact the show started off based in Chicago like "Good Times", then moved to New York, like the "Jeffersons".

A lot of yall probably don't know this, but for a brief period, we became ashamed of "Good Times" in the late 80's, and a few other Black comedy shows, the same way the ones before us became ashamed of "The Amos and Andy Show". But the generation after us gave "Good Times" life again. I guess so, since we welcomed in the Black comedy stereotypes in "In Living Color". On that note, you can just look at this episode of Amos and Andy, and see In Living Color had way more buffoonery. There is really no comparison. But this talk is a little too real.

Last edited:

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
Not only did this show pave the way for a lot of Black comedy sitcoms, but I see this episode even paved the way for the Flintstones episode, where Fred wrote his rich Uncle Tex a letter saying they had a baby boy they named after him, so he could be in his will.

You know, hearing the opening song of the show may sound a little depressing and outdated, but it doesn't sound much different than the style of the "Good Times" and "The Jeffersons" opening theme song, with the so-called African-American gospel sound. In fact the show started off based in Chicago like "Good Times", then moved to New York, like the "Jeffersons".

A lot of yall probably don't know this, but for a brief period, we became ashamed of "Good Times" in the late 80's, and a few other Black comedy shows, the same way the ones before us became ashamed of "The Amos and Andy Show". But the generation behind us gave "Good Times" life again. I guess so, since we welcomed in the Black comedy stereotypes in "In Living Color". On that note, you can just look at this episode of Amos and Andy, and see In Living Color had way more buffoonery. There is really no comparison. But this talk is a little too real.
Hearing John Amos and John Witherspoon praise the show in a documentary a minute ago, completely surprised me, saw a good chunk of these during the first lockdown and just restarted this weekend, a real gem.

I'm 24 but my ol boy put me on a lot of older stuff, I do remember the BPP's protests against Good Times influencing the Jeffersons being developed, didn't know it was more of a public sentiment

Again, I'm zooted rn, but the theme's bittersweet, especially once you find out the radio show's theme is a birth of a nation's :francis: ; it sounds like resigned hope to me

The name has too much baggage but Black media honestly lost its' soul across the board, this ain't indicative of my taste in TV, but it's so bad that Rel was pretty good in comparison, if you ever saw it :manny:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Hearing John Amos and John Witherspoon praise the show in a documentary a minute ago, completely surprised me, saw a good chunk of these during the first lockdown and just restarted this weekend, a real gem.

I'm 24 but my ol boy put me on a lot of older stuff, I do remember the BPP's protests against Good Times influencing the Jeffersons being developed, didn't know it was more of a public sentiment

Again, I'm zooted rn, but the theme's bittersweet, especially once you find out the radio show's theme is a birth of a nation's :francis: ; it sounds like resigned hope to me

The name has too much baggage but Black media honestly lost its' soul across the board, this ain't indicative of my taste in TV, but it's so bad that Rel was pretty good in comparison, if you ever saw it :manny:
I'm going to be honest, if I was in John Amos', John Witherspoons', or Smokey Robinsons' age group, I would have probably been mad this show was cancelled when it was.

I don't think I ever got around to watching "Rel". I had quit watching a lot of television years before this show..

Last edited: