The Ball may be gone, but the grass won't be Greener on the other side: NOLA Pelicans 2021-22 Thread

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Nah Herb is legit breh: 6'8 wing with a 7 foot wingspan who was SEC DPOY and Player of the year. As far as 2nd round picks who might actually go on to do something in the league and not just wash out within ~3 years like 99% of guys picked after #30 do he fits the prototypical mold. You can't be getting this aggy about a guy like that picked 35th overall when this franchise's most notable 2nd round picks the past decade been Cheick Diallo and Frank Jackson.:dead:

Why'd he fall so far back though?

I'm just hoping he aint' just Hilton Armstrong.

iu

Daps

Ummm... This is probably the deepest draft in a long time. I liked a bunch of 2nd round guys. JT Thor, Butler, Cooper, and Herb. Especially, Butler because he fell for medical.

I was referring to this, mostly. And trading picks for cash... Which we've done a lot the past two season.

Cash considerations don't win you any games. And we don't have a good bench. So, it's quite frustrating we aren't trying to do something about that.

Can't roster more than 15 guys my man. We got a future pick back along with the $$ from 2 of the picks we sold so we basically just got paid to kick the can down the road for when we actually will need 2nd rounders to fill out the bench. They're almost certainly bringing Willy back for another year with this Jax situation( :snoop:) and despite those silly rumors from Cavs of all teams beat writers I think there's a good chance Hart will be back too unless he gets a gargantuan overpay out of nowhere from some dummy team with too much cap space. Those 2, Kira, Sideshow, Herb, Murphy (does he start over NAW/Ingram? I don't think so), if Zo is signed and traded whoever we get back for him, I think Good JJ will be back if he's cheap... bench looks better than what we've typically been putting out the past couple of years to me. :yeshrug: I am a lil pissed about us giving up BJ Boston cause he had a lot of real "upside" for a dude going that late in the draft... but he was honestly trash and disappointing AF in college, and if you falling all the way to the 50s something is very very wrong; teams don't let future star sleepers like Jokic fall that far anymore. I ain't gonna crucify Griff for selling what will probably turn out to be the next Bol Bol I.E. guy who fans rave about because of "potential" that never actually does anything of consequence in the NBA.

And I agree with you in preferring Brogdon over Lowry... but Indiana gotta actually want Zo, and Zo gotta want to go to Indy for that to be a reality. Don't know how honestly feasible that is. I'd prefer either over the next 2-3 years over 4+ years of Zo at the $$ I think he's gonna get. We'll see...

Last edited:
Daps
Why'd he fall so far back though?

I'm just hoping he aint' just Hilton Armstrong.

iu

He's an upperclassmen who had a terrible 3 point shot until just this past year so scouts probably iffy on whether that's a trend in the right direction or a fluke year. Not the kind of guy you use a first round pick on, but in terms of who's most likely to actually stick in the league and contribute long term as a 2nd rounder, players like him generally have the highest chances (Draymond being the 99th percentile crowning example).

taker597

Superstar
Daps
He's an upperclassmen who had a terrible 3 point shot until just this past year so scouts probably iffy on whether that's a trend in the right direction or a fluke year. Not the kind of guy you use a first round pick on, but in terms of who's most likely to actually stick in the league and contribute long term as a 2nd rounder, players like him generally have the highest chances (Draymond being the 99th percentile crowning example).

I thought Herb is a little underrated. Great attitude and culture guy. Solid work ethic. If he can hit his ceiling. He would be a solid regular season bench piece, but if his 3PT doesn't get better. It's pretty much done for him.

Can't roster more than 15 guys my man. We got a future pick back along with the $$ from 2 of the picks we sold so we basically just got paid to kick the can down the road for when we actually will need 2nd rounders to fill out the bench. They're almost certainly bringing Willy back for another year with this Jax situation( :snoop:) and despite those silly rumors from Cavs of all teams beat writers I think there's a good chance Hart will be back too unless he gets a gargantuan overpay out of nowhere from some dummy team with too much cap space. Those 2, Kira, Sideshow, Herb, Murphy (does he start over NAW/Ingram? I don't think so), if Zo is signed and traded whoever we get back for him, I think Good JJ will be back if he's cheap... bench looks better than what we've typically been putting out the past couple of years to me. :yeshrug: I am a lil pissed about us giving up BJ Boston cause he had a lot of real "upside" for a dude going that late in the draft... but he was honestly trash and disappointing AF in college, and if you falling all the way to the 50s something is very very wrong; teams don't let future star sleepers like Jokic fall that far anymore. I ain't gonna crucify Griff for selling what will probably turn out to be the next Bol Bol I.E. guy who fans rave about because of "potential" that never actually does anything of consequence in the NBA.

And I agree with you in preferring Brogdon over Lowry... but Indiana gotta actually want Zo, and Zo gotta want to go to Indy for that to be a reality. Don't know how honestly feasible that is. I'd prefer either over the next 2-3 years over 4+ years of Zo at the $$ I think he's gonna get. We'll see...

I completely understand. It's the ebb and flow of the NBA. With us having our own G-League team. I hope we can stash more dudes. I get you can have 12 2nd round pick, and only have like one that amounts to anything. With the team about to become expensive in a few years. I would hope starting this year or next year, we try to develop cheap regular season role bench players.

With the JV trade, I hope more dudes don't slam him for not being flashy on the stat sheet. His game is all about consistency. I can see him being an 11 and 9.5 guy here because team rebounding is pretty tenacious.

Then, we have the lead guard position and promoting NAW to 1st string. Which is why I'm a little worried about the bench unit.

I like Lowry on a two year deal, but if you can get Indy to trade Brogdon. We got some cap savings to make another move with him.

(LOWRY or BROGDON) LEWIS
NAW HART
INGRAM NAJI TREY
ZION
JV HAYES WILLY

Definitely can trying swinging Hayes as 4/5. But I would definitely like defensive Anchor at 4 if possible if we don't bring James Johnson back.

If we can get Brogdon, and a Vet 4. That be baller status. Defense still probably gonna be ass.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Bobby Portis decline is player option.

Lowry probably going to a contender.

Mannnn... I'd say trade for Brogdon and sign Bobby Portis. Sounds like a pretty good foundation.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
David Griffin is off to a nice start, now comes his biggest move. I like Lowry but you guys will definitely have to give him every cent for him to go there. IMO its worth it, Pelicans completely fell apart last year during clutch time every game. You need a floor leader like Lowry. He defends, can shoot, and playmake in half court. You just hope he doesn't fall in love with the Nola buffet :sadcam:. I was hoping Griffin would have both him and Lonzo but Griffin has been anti-Lonzo since day 1, I don't think he wants to do anything with him at all unless he has no options.

Hart is cool but he's a poor shooter and doesn't do much in halfcourt, hes like the worse version of Lonzo in halfcourt. Imo, Naji has already proven to be better in little sample.

Daps
David Griffin is off to a nice start, now comes his biggest move. I like Lowry but you guys will definitely have to give him every cent for him to go there. IMO its worth it, Pelicans completely fell apart last year during clutch time every game. You need a floor leader like Lowry. He defends, can shoot, and playmake in half court. You just hope he doesn't fall in love with the Nola buffet :sadcam:. I was hoping Griffin would have both him and Lonzo but Griffin has been anti-Lonzo since day 1, I don't think he wants to do anything with him at all unless he has no options.

Hart is cool but he's a poor shooter and doesn't do much in halfcourt, hes like the worse version of Lonzo in halfcourt. Imo, Naji has already proven to be better in little sample.

I think people over-exaggerate the FO's opinion of Zo; these rumors that "NOLA won't match ANY offer for Ball whatsoever no matter the cost" are obviously ridiculous as evidenced by his QO being tendered today. If they really hated him and Rich Paul like that they woulda rerouted him to a 3rd team in the initial AD trade or dumped him after his uninspiring play in the bubble and to start this past season. The fact that they had faith in him to work through that and improve to have his career best year as they started him every game he was healthy shows they have at least some positive opinion about his game. Griffin just seems to be scared of committing anything more than $20 million for anytime longer than 2 years for anyone who isn't an established all-star right now, and if Zion's family is already publicly pressuring him in year 2 I can't really blame him.

Lowry would be ideal IMO and I'm actually okay with getting into a mini bidding war for him with Dallas because they will have to completely tank any future flexibility and room to improve to try and beat us for him. Them getting him but having to renounce guys like THJ in the process and locking themselves into a Luka/Wristflaps/36-8 year old Lowry core with mostly trash around them is a surefire recipe for them to implode in a few years. :mjlit: Of course if Kyle just wanna team up with his friend Jimmy in Miami not much we can do. And I'm not drawing any conclusions about Naji as a surefire replacement for Hart at this point; for all his flaws as a player Josh is a 100% proven, positive commodity while Naji could just be Stanley Johnson with a nice lil ~10 game hot streak for all we know. As long as JJ Redikkk didn't get in his head and convince him to wanna leave and he doesn't get an absurd overpay from another team I'm not at all opposed to bringing him back.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I think people over-exaggerate the FO's opinion of Zo; these rumors that "NOLA won't match ANY offer for Ball whatsoever no matter the cost" are obviously ridiculous as evidenced by his QO being tendered up today. If they really hated him and Rich Paul like that they woulda rerouted him to a 3rd team in the initial AD trade or dumped him after his uninspiring play in the bubble and to start this past season. The fact that they had faith in him to work through that and improve to have his career best year as they started him every game he was healthy shows they have at least some positive opinion about his game. Griffin just seems to be scared of committing anything more than $20 million for anytime longer than 2 years for anyone who isn't an established all-star right now, and if Zion's family is already publicly pressuring him in year 2 I can't really blame him.

Lowry would be ideal IMO and I'm actually okay with getting into a mini bidding war for him with Dallas because they will have to completely tank any future flexibility and room to improve to try and beat us for him. Them getting him but having to renounce guys like THJ in the process and locking themselves into a Luka/Wristflaps/36-8 year old Lowry core with mostly trash around them is a surefire recipe for them to implode in a few years. :mjlit: Of course if Kyle just wanna team up with his friend Jimmy in Miami not much we can do. And I'm not drawing any conclusions about Naji as a surefire replacement for Hart at this point; for all his flaws as a player Josh is a 100% proven, positive commodity while Naji could just be Stanley Johnson with a nice lil ~10 game hot streak for all we know. As long as JJ Redikkk didn't get in his head and convince him to wanna leave and he doesn't get an absurd overpay from another team I'm not at all opposed to bringing him back.
I don't understand the "We think Lonzo is trash" by our FO thing got start. The front like Zo a lot, but just not particularly as a Point Guard in his current form and they want an answer now at PG. Not 3-4 more years of developing in the half court.

I think Griff wants a half court general, but Zo did good as a wing last season. If we strike out on Lowry and he ain't getting crazy offers. Brogdon, Ball, Portis would be pretty solid and everyone would be happy.

KevJ

Overall Nice Guy
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding

off to a nice start? He’s done a TERRIBLE job.