Essential The Big Thread of Black Excellence

LevelUp

Don't Like My Threads, Blow The Whistle
Daps
Rihanna Takes Her Humanitarian Efforts To Malawi To Raise Money For Education Reform

Evan Rogers for Global Partnership for Education
By Raychelle Muhammad | June 27, 2017

As a superstar in the music industry, Rihanna has traveled the world performing for sold-out crowds. But her legacy as a philanthropist may well eclipse her accomplishments as an artist. In January of this year, the "Wild Thoughts" singer visited Malawi to witness first-hand what the challenges are to educating its children and to put together a plan to solve the problem.

Rihanna quickly found out that extreme poverty and a student-teacher ratio of 100:1 were among the top reasons why these bright boys and girls drop out of school. Via a partnership with the Global Partnership for Education, where she serves as the Global Ambassador, and the organization she founded called the Clara Lionel Foundation, the pop sensation is trying to raise $3.1 billion between 2018 and 2020.

"It's such a pity that they have to drop out, because they are so smart," she said in the short trip documentary. "Everybody's learning together and learning at the same pace it seems. It's sad that has to end for some of them, because they could probably do so much if they had the resources to continue and complete."

Rihanna isn't just a celebrity who cuts checks and shows up for photo ops. She literally visited classrooms, met with teachers and staff, and found out what it was like to be both a student and educator in Malawi.

The drop out rates are high, but for girls, in Malawi, the challenges are even greater. Only 29 percent of girls who start primary school graduate. The rest drop out sometime between the 6th and 8th grades because schools are far from home, there are inadequate sanitation facilities, and there are high rates of child marriage.

"It's one thing to read statistics," she said. "But I want to see it first hand, and find out all that can be done, and where to start first," Rihanna said.

RELATED

Dave Chappelle Is Hosting And Kendrick Lamar Is Performing At Rihan...

Rihanna Gives Fan Life Changing Advice...Fan Now Set To Conquer The...
While fundraising may be a daunting task, overcoming culture, long-standing traditions, and social constructs in Malawi may not be so easy; especially when dealing with attitudes about women and girls. But Rihanna is committed to making a difference and up for the challenge. The world needs more like her.

SHARE TWEET
NEXT STORY

Dave Chappelle Is Hosting And Kendrick Lamar Is Performing At Rihanna's Annual Diamond Ball

Sponsored Content

Do This Every Time You Turn On Your Smartphone…
Web Life Advice

People in Heavy Credit Card Debt Could Be In For A Big Surprise
WeeklyFinancialSolutions.com

Missing Plane Found In Jungle 68 Years Later, But What Was Inside
HealthSkillet

Remember Philip Michael Thomas? What He Looks Like Now Is Insane
President mommy
By
Popular In the Community
BLACK ARMY SERGEANT SERVES THE NATION WITHOUT PREJUDICE, BUT HE STILL FOUND ‘DIE N**GER’ SPRAY-PAINTED ON HIS CAR
onewildflower
15 Jun
I'm not sure where you read just Republicans in the article. I mentioned the current administration because of their attempt to rollback some advancements, to include wanting to reintroduce "Stop and Frisk" laws, bussing Black kids out of their neighborhoods to "good" schools instead of fixing the problem of the schools in those communities/districts. Giving contracts to build and privatize more prisons instead of fixing our schools. Also, while there are definitely Democrats who harbor racist views, we're talking about the current political climate of far right, conservative racists who have been emboldened by Trump's campaign rhetoric.
POLICE NOT ONLY SHOT BRENDAN HESTER AFTER HE CALLED 911 TO REPORT A BURGLARY BUT THEY'RE REPORTEDLY LYING ABOUT THE ENTIRE THING
GreenBee
20 Jun
Why does that matter? They just busted in without announcing themselves and started shooting. They didn't care who the victim or the culprit was. After they realized they fukked up they searched the house trying to find anything to justify their actions. Why are the victims of the crime getting their house searched?
BLACK MEN AREN'T SAFE IN MISSISSIPPI! MAN WAS HUNG IN HIS OWN YARD, PLUS A SEVERED HEAD & BURNED TORSO SENDS A MESSAGE
GreenPuzzle
15 Jun
It's hanged not hung and I hope they find whoever did this. Black, white, purple, rainbow....I don't care, no one deserves that shyt.
'BACHELOR IN PARADISE' SHUTS DOWN AFTER CORINNE OLYMPIOS ALLEGEDLY TOO DRUNK TO CONSENT TO POOL SEX
OliveBottleOpener
15 Jun
Why is she on the show if she has a boyfriend that she doesn't want to jeopardize the relationship with?
POLICE NOT ONLY SHOT BRENDAN HESTER AFTER HE CALLED 911 TO REPORT A BURGLARY BUT THEY'RE REPORTEDLY LYING ABOUT THE ENTIRE THING
GreenBee
20 Jun
Why does that matter? They just busted in without announcing themselves and started shooting. They didn't care who the victim or the culprit was. After they realized they fukked up they searched the house trying to find anything to justify their actions. Why are the victims of the crime getting their house searched?
BLACK ARMY SERGEANT SERVES THE NATION WITHOUT PREJUDICE, BUT HE STILL FOUND ‘DIE N**GER’ SPRAY-PAINTED ON HIS CAR
onewildflower
15 Jun
I'm not sure where you read just Republicans in the article. I mentioned the current administration because of their attempt to rollback some advancements, to include wanting to reintroduce "Stop and Frisk" laws, bussing Black kids out of their neighborhoods to "good" schools instead of fixing the problem of the schools in those communities/districts. Giving contracts to build and privatize more prisons instead of fixing our schools. Also, while there are definitely Democrats who harbor racist views, we're talking about the current political climate of far right, conservative racists who have been emboldened by Trump's campaign rhetoric.
BLACK MEN AREN'T SAFE IN MISSISSIPPI! MAN WAS HUNG IN HIS OWN YARD, PLUS A SEVERED HEAD & BURNED TORSO SENDS A MESSAGE
GreenPuzzle
15 Jun
It's hanged not hung and I hope they find whoever did this. Black, white, purple, rainbow....I don't care, no one deserves that shyt.

ATLANTA RAPPER BLAC YOUNGSTA ARRESTED FOR WITHDRAWING $200K FROM HIS OWN BANK ACCOUNT...POLICE SAY MISTAKEN IDENTITY
PurpleTooth
31 May
Another excuse of white people thinking black folk don't deserve there own money
11-YEAR OLD BARRON TRUMP PANICKED & SCREAMED WHEN HE SAW THE KATHY GRIFFIN BEHEADING PHOTO
GoldGoggles
31 May
Is it worse than the pics Obama's kids probably saw of him hanging from trees, etc.? Or the total disrespect their mother endured from racist whites? Sorry any kid has to go through stuff like that. End it.
WALMART CUSTOMER SHOOTS, KILLS MAN FOR STEALING DIAPERS -- WTF?!
Willie E. Drayton
30 May
"Cops say Adams was a well-known gang member wanted for violent crimes all across Orlando". Yet the old man who shot him did not know that. Why is it important for us to know the criminal record of every black murder victim when it has no bearing on why they were murdered?
HBCU STUDENT SET TO GRADUATE TUESDAY STABBED TO DEATH BY WHITE SUPREMACIST
RedCar
22 May
But everyone is worried about terrorists coming here, they've been here!
MAXINE WATERS SHUTS DOWN TRUMP SUPPORTERS AT TOWN HALL MEETING: 'YOU CAN'T DO THAT IN INGLEWOOD!'
Edna Tucker
15 May
Maxine for president!!!
'WHY ARE N*GGERS BLACK?': FINAL EXAM QUESTION SPARKS OUTRAGE IN NEW MEXICO
CyanElephant
17 May
I thought the teacher prepared and handed out the test?...if the teacher entrusted a student with the test package and given the leeway to tamper with or modify the test questions, then both should be held accountable. Certainly the student.... Should be easy to pinpoint.
Hey guest, welcome to The Ged Section! Sign up and become a member.

Your email address...

Advertise
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions