The ‘boring phone’: stressed-out gen Z ditch smartphones for dumbphones

bnew

Veteran
Daps

A young man in a denim jacket and T-shirt making a call on an old fashioned mobile phone
View image in fullscreen

Tech sales executive Piers Garrett, 27, says he has a coffee and reads a book in the morning, rather than scrolling through his phone. Photograph: Andy Hall/The Observer

The Observer Young people

The ‘boring phone’: stressed-out gen Z ditch smartphones for dumbphones​

The feature-free phone, launched at Milan design week, is the latest device to tap into young people’s concerns about attention-harvesting and data privacy

James Tapper and Aneesa Ahmed

Sat 27 Apr 2024 09.00 EDT

It’s almost enough to make you stop doomscrolling: dull devices are now cool.

The Boring Phone is a new, featureless flip phone that is feeding the growing appetites of younger people who want to bin their smartphones in favour of a dumbphone.

The latest model is a collaboration between Heineken beer and the fashion retailer Bodega, and caused a storm when it was unveiled this month at Milan design week, the place where trends are anointed by the world’s designers. The Boring Phone is part of a new dumbphone boom, built on the suspicion of gen Z towards the data- and attention-harvesting technologies they have grown up with. That suspicion has fuelled reinventions of retro cultural artefacts – a trend known as Newtro – and seen in the revival of vinyl records, cassettes, fanzines, 8-bit video games and old-fashioned mobile phones.

“I’ve always hated being available to everyone,” said Rana Ali. The 29-year-old former finance worker, who is now a music producer and rapper recording as Surya Sen, added: “The idea that if you send a WhatsApp to someone and they don’t respond immediately then something’s wrong. I’ve had periods of having a smartphone but I always revert back to having a burner phone.”

Nostalgia for the Nokia 3310, the “brick” phone with seemingly everlasting battery life, prompted its relaunch in 2017, but the boom really began in the US last year and was, ironically, fuelled by TikTokers posting under the #bringbackflipphones hashtag. HMD, which was behind the Nokia relaunch, saw its flip phone sales double by April 2023, while Punkt, which prefers to call them feature phones or minimalist phones, has also seen substantial sales increases.

Product shot of an old fashioned flip-open mobile phone with a transparent case and a basic mono screen on the shell
View image in fullscreen

The Boring Phone is a retro flip phone that proudly boasts of having minimal features.

But Apple and Samsung are not under threat yet, according to Mintel. Nine out of 10 phones are smartphones and dumbphones remain niche, said Joe Birch, a technology analyst at the research firm.

“However, there is evidence of this generation modifying their smartphone behaviour, with concerns around the negative impacts of being constantly digitally connected driving this,” Birch added. “Three in five gen-Zers say they’d like to be less connected to the digital world, for instance.”

This move to offlining, or digital minimalism, is also seen in gen Z’s declining use of social media. They are the only generation whose time on social media has fallen since 2021, according to GWI, another research company, although older people are digitally detoxing too – including Lars Silberbauer, HMD’s chief marketing officer. “For the first four hours, you’re getting a bit of anxiety,” he said. “But then suddenly you start focusing and you get back to behaviours you used to have.”

Twentysomethings are also more concerned about privacy, according to the technology analyst Portulans Institute, in an internet that can seem more like a surveillance tool for brands, governments and scammers than a place to pursue interests and find interesting people.

Older technologies can create more freedom: sampling in hip-hop and dance music has become almost impossible for emerging artists, since Spotify or YouTube’s algorithms will spot uncleared samples and prevent tracks from uploading. But an underground artist can press 500 vinyl EPs and sell them to DJs and fans without difficulty.

The problem with offlining is that the world is increasingly difficult for people without a smartphone. There are 2.4m households in the UK that cannot afford a mobile phone contract and 2 million young people who have no access to a learning device, said Hannah Whelan, coordinator of the Data Poverty Lab at the Good Things Foundation charity. “Most essential services are now online – education, healthcare, universal credit,” she said. People who cannot scan a QR code to fill in a form or order food are at least at a disadvantage, and some systems require them.

The Luddite Club, a group of New York schoolchildren who announced in December 2022 they were giving up their iPhones in favour of flip phones, would still need their smartphones, said Petter Neby, the founder of Punkt. “It’s impossible,” he said. “In UK schools you’re talking about banning the smartphone but you have a school system that relies on online activity, for scheduling, for homework. I would love to ban smartphones for my children, but it’s a much deeper question. We need to have a balance.”

Piers Garrett, a 27-year-old tech sales executive, tried to achieve that balance by getting a Light Phone – a device that uses the same electronic ink used for e-readers and has no apps – but eventually gave up.

“The idea was amazing, but I only lasted six months,” he said. “Everyone communicates via WhatsApp. So now I have a happy medium. I’m very strict with my apps – just banking apps and train apps, and I turn off all my notifications. Now when I wake up in the morning, I do things for myself – have a coffee, read a book. And I noticed the change – so much more clarity in my mind.”

Don Snow

All Star
Daps
I mean bringing back desktops would be cool I guess, social media being on computers was better

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm just surprised people are still writing this same article. One of these comes around every few years, nobody buys them. It's not even a real article, just an ad.

Nobody is buying phones like this. I promise you.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
:francis:Was on that wave ages ago with the minimalistic practices:

Even was on the verge of copping a Nokia until an act of God ascended his hand from heaven to smack the shyt out of me :why:

Its all about willpower and having a sense of understanding that's its easy to put the phone down and treat it for what it originally is. The dumb phone idea is pretty much idiotic because you need essential apps like Uber, Google Maps, and even the internet to help you through the day. Plus, most of these dumb phones are obsolete technology that will barely survive with 5G tech, let alone 4G tech.

Now you could just get a regular smartphone and download a minimal launcher/shell to help with the OCD. Sadly, the whole "dumb phone" movement is a marketing ploy to get nose ring Gen Z zombies to buy raggedly outdated tech and end up running back to the IPhone like a lone cokehead.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
just use a smartphone and turn that shyt off when you wanna decompress and read a book, meditate (use a damn alarm clock instead of an app), skincare routine, etc

:why: I mean...its not that hard. If youngins feeling froggy on some less is more steez, they might as well cop a Blackberry :francis:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
This move to offlining, or digital minimalism, is also seen in gen Z’s declining use of social media. They are the only generation whose time on social media has fallen since 2021, according to GWI, another research company

I thought this was interesting though. Any genz nikkas in here can confirm? I know my lil sister is off socials like that (or hiding someplace else) but thats it

Daps
Why does a specialty flip phone need to be made for this concept?

Why not just buy some flip phone that already exists?

If I’m missing something from the article it’s probably because I didn’t read it :birdman: