The Case Against Mike Tomlin...

broller

Veteran
Daps
Cowher went to a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell at QB and won playoff games (including a trip to the AFC championship game) with Tommy Maddox , Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak. Cowher didn't have a franchise QB until Ben was drafted in 2004.

Tomlin inherited Big Ben in his prime, won a Super Bowl immediately, went back a few years later and IMO has underachieved since. The non-losing season streak is nice, but with the talent the Steelers have had since 2007 (on both sides of the ball) it feels like they should have at least another championship to show for it.
Tommy never made it to the AFC championship game as starter. He got to the divisional round and they lost in overtime to the Titans if I recall correctly.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Tomlin is probably my second favorite coach ever, and we know he's going to Canton when he retires. But I've given a ton of thought to my Top 25 GOAT NFL coaches list, and he's trending to rank well lower than I expected him to when I first started considering this a week ago...

There are several reasons, but the biggest and most damning reason is his lack of success, with HIS guys. Can never take the Super Bowl away from him, but he won it in Y2. That was Cowher's roster...

Can't take the 2010 runner-up from him, either, but 11 of his 22 starters on that Super Bowl roster were Cowher holdovers...

2013 was the first season more than 50% of his starters were players he picked! And there's a clear line of demarcation in his success from 2007-12 (Cowher's Guys), to 2013-23 (Tomlin's Team)...

For 6 years, from 2007 to 2012, Tomlin went 63-33 (.656), which is a Per16 rate of 10.5 wins/year. In those 6 years, he was a 3x AFC North champ, 4x playoff guy, with a 5-3 playoff record (.625), 2x Super Bowl appearances, and a Lombardi...

We now have 11 years of Tomlin's Team, in which his resume looks like this: 110-67-2 (.615), which is 9.8 wins/Per16. But the real crusher is postseason success, he's a 7x playoff guy, 4x division champ, 3-7 in the playoffs (.300), 0 Lombardis, zero Super Bowl runs, 0-1 AFCCG...

His resume since roster turnover seemingly defines treadmill coach, which, I think he's much more than that. But does he even get 11 years at the helm anywhere else if not in Pittsburgh with a roster that was 50%+ Cowher's the fricking first 6 years of his career?

So he's lower on this list than I would've initially assumed, and I'll have my formal GOAT25 list coming up soon. I've always been a Tomlin guy but I've long said that he benefitted really early from Cowher's players. This is the first time I've actually dug into it, though?

Would you guys call Tomlin a GOAT25 coach?

:snoop: :snoop: :snoop:

you might wanna fall back with doing an all-time top 25 coaching list

based off your comical, ridiculous asinine thread about Russell Wilson being an all-time top 25 quarterback a seasons ago

:umad: :umad: :umad: