The Coming Collapse of the American Economic System with Richard Wolff

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
Robert Reich has been preaching much the same sentiment the last decade as well. That we've long crossed the threshold of the system as constructed being viable.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
This is something I’m trying to prepare myself and family for m

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
this nikka been in the game 3 generations deep :whew:
muricah cant produce newer contrarian intellectuals :stopitslime:
thats why the system will collapse :sas2:
If you’re of reasonable intelligence, why would you stay here?

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya

I think it's very unfair, the criticism of the Gracchi trending in modern scholarship, accusing them of populism and of cynically manipulating the poor to advance their own political careers. If you read Plutarch's Life of Tiberius, it's pretty clear that wasn't the case. They weren't proto-Caesars wanting to destroy the Republic and become king. As far as political ambitions go I don't believe Tiberius wanted to do anything more than outshine the legacy of his father (who was in his own right a very accomplished man, two-time consul and two-time triumphator), and Gaius to emerge from the shadows of his brother and father.

And even supposing they were Caesars and wanted to destroy the Republic, there was nothing good about the Republic worth saving anyway; it was just a myth, an idea. Having an entrenched hereditary oligarchy running the show is no more enlightened a political system than absolute monarchy. If I was a common Roman citizen I'd much rather have somebody who cares about my welfare like a Gracchus in charge, even if they are an absolute monarch, than scum like Cato and his ilk just to maintain the fiction of a Republic.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Speaking of Roman-American comparisons. I would say America right now is similar to Rome before the crisis of third century. The reason is that the underlying causes was economic. Trajan,Hadrian,Marcus Aurelius all expanded the size of the military. Which meant increased military spending. The GOP passed a ridiculous tax plan that is going to lead to massive deficits. Also they are increasing massive military spending. And like Rome we are embroiled in multiple conflicts. And now with Bolton and Pompeo having massive influence in the Trump White House we are talking about war with Iran or North Korea. I have said the next economic crisis will be a depression not a recesssion. And I do not see an Aurelian or Diocletian to save the nation. I for one do not even want to fathom what a modern American economic depression will look like. :sadcam:

America is facing a slew of economic issues in the long term that is scary. Income inequality, student loan debt crisis, the collapse of retail, Banks deregulated, America’s expensive hemorrhaging health care system, America’s long term debt etc.