Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
IMG_3104.jpeg

A viral TikTok account is doxing ordinary and otherwise anonymous people on the internet using off-the-shelf facial recognition technology, creating content and growing a following by taking advantage of a fundamental new truth: privacy is now essentially dead in public spaces.

The 90,000 follower-strong account typically picks targets who appeared in other viral videos, or people suggested to the account in the comments. Many of the account’s videos show the process: screenshotting the video of the target, cropping images of the face, running those photos through facial recognition software, and then revealing the person’s full name, social media profile, and sometimes employer to millions of people who have liked the videos. There’s an entire branch of content on TikTok in which creators show off their OSINT doxing skills—OSINT being open source intelligence, or information that is openly available online. But the vast majority of them do it with the explicit consent of the target:

This account is doing the same, without the consent of the people they choose to dox. As a bizarre aside, the account appears to be run by a Taylor Swift fan, with many of the doxing videos including Swift’s music, and including videos of people at the Eras Tour.

404 Media is not naming the account because TikTok has decided to not remove it from the platform. TikTok told me the account does not violate its policies; one social media policy expert I spoke to said TikTok should reevaluate that position.

The TikTok account, conversations with victims, and TikTok’s own lack of action on the account show that access to facial recognition technology, combined with a cultural belief that anything public is fair game to exploit for clout, now means that all it takes is one random person on the internet to target you and lead a crowd in your direction.

One target told me he felt violated after the TikTok account using facial recognition tech targeted him. Another said they initially felt flattered before “that promptly gave way to worry.” All of the victims I spoke to echoed one general point—this behavior showed them just how exposed we all potentially are simply by existing in public.

“I worry about the potential application of this technology for something worse than online thirstiness. Like full-blown stalking for example or who knows what,” Eli Lloyd, one of the victims, told me in an email.

Imagine this shyt in the hands of the government.
3HhOE4z.gif

Roger king

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
This is where you need government intervention, strict enforcement and regulations on this apps and corporations

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Folk already doing this.. My sis in law met some cat off Tinder from the UK… she couldn’t figure out why dude always acting like he too good to go out and all sorts of shyt.. Needless to say she did a little digging and figured out mans a Sierra Leon scammer, she found his homegirl IG page who happens to be a lesbian and she say pics of him at her gay party lmaoo, she went to the UK for a week on a business trip and ask him to meet up.. Mans was juelzing all week he couldn’t make it and only wanted to hang out with her the last day she was there… So she did and confronted him with her evidence.. She said dude lost it, mans was in shambles.. note they been talking for months

I told her man’s a wild homo.. :mjlol:

Lord Quas

Pro
Daps
I’m not saying what she’s doing isn’t impressive but this kind of OSINT is not unheard of…and if you’re in the NetSec field you probably did a CTF where OSINT was one of the sections. Forgot who said it, but more often than not, you’re hacking people not computers.

And if you think that was crazy… See how ***** tracked down Shia LeBeouf.. How Trolls Pulled Off the Heist of the Century

The trolls using only the live stream of the flag, started, I shyt you not, studying the flight patterns and contrails of the airplanes passing overhead. They mapped out what they saw and took their findings to flight radars to try and pinpoint a general area. Using the knowledge gleaned from the flight patterns they found that the location was near Greeneville, Tennessee.

The obsessed basement dwellers turned to studying the star patterns and their movements and with that, plus a tweet that Labeouf sent out in a Tennessee diner, the trolls were able to narrow the area even further—to a small patch of land between a house and a river.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Folk already doing this.. My sis in law met some cat off Tinder from the UK… she couldn’t figure out why dude always acting like he too good to go out and all sorts of shyt.. Needless to say she did a little digging and figured out mans a Sierra Leon scammer, she found his homegirl IG page who happens to be a lesbian and she say pics of him at her gay party lmaoo, she went to the UK for a week on a business trip and ask him to meet up.. Mans was juelzing all week he couldn’t make it and only wanted to hang out with her the last day she was there… So she did and confronted him with her evidence.. She said dude lost it, mans was in shambles.. note they been talking for months

I told her man’s a wild homo.. :mjlol:

Straight out of an episode of 90 day fiance. :russ: