The Final Call and The Afro American are big winners at the Black Newspaper Awards 2022

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Among the best of the Black Press: The Final Call wins five contest awards​

By
Anisah Muhammad, Contributing Writer
-
June 28, 2022

NEW ORLEANS—The Final Call won five awards at the 2022 National Newspaper Publishers Association Fund Messenger Awards, held here as the association for Black-owned newspapers met in-person for the first time in two years. The awards saluted the best of the Black Press as NNPA marked the 195th anniversary of Black newspapers in the United States. The group includes 235 member publications and nearly 300 entries were submitted this year, which event organizers said made for incredible competition.

“We thank Allah (God) and His divine servants the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, the founder of our newspaper, and our publisher, the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan, for this great victory and the great opportunity to work in this cause,” said Final Call editor in chief Naba’a Muhammad, who attended the June 23 event and the conference. He is also an NNPA board member representing Region 3, which consists of Black-owned newspapers in the Midwest.
01-HealthFinalCallDeathbyZipCodeAnisahMuhammad-page-1-947x1024.jpg

2022 NNPA Messenger Award in Health category, “Death byZipCode,” by Contributing Writ- er Anisah Muhammad.
04-Environment-FinalCallJacksonMiss.MichaelMuhammad.jpg

Award for Environment reporting on the water crises facing Jackson, Miss. by Contributing Writer Michael Muhammad.
09-EntertainmentFinalCallRedemption-NabaaMuhammadandCharlene-Muhammad-page-1-934x1024.jpg
Award for “Redemption, reconciliation and potential power,” by Editor-in-Chief Naba’a Muhammad and National Correspondent Charlene Muhammad
6-BusinessFinalCallMuslimBusinessJamesMuhammad-page-1-947x1024.jpg
2022 NNPA Messenger Award in Business category for the article “Muslim entrepreneur lays out holistic approach to community development,” written by Contributing Editor and former Final Call Editor James G. Muhammad and featuring photos by Contributing Photographer Haroon Rajaee.

“We are honored to serve as a watchman over our people and to share the divine teachings of the Nation of Islam with our community and the world. By Allah’s (God’s) grace, we will continue to seek and tell the truth and give the men of the Nation of Islam, the Fruit of Islam, who take our paper to the people, and our people a product filled with light, life and power. Our newspaper is a tool in the work of the resurrection of our people. We are so proud of our staff laborers and contributors for their commitment and hard work,” added editor Muhammad.
NNPA-logo-social-icon-1024x1024.png

The Messenger Awards were handed out based on specific areas of coverage, Equity (Health, Education, Social & Criminal Justice, and Environment); Perspective (Faith & Religion, Business, Editorial & Opinion, and Original Photography Use); Culture (Entertainment, Sports, Youth & Children, and Fashion and Beauty & Lifestyle); Creative (Special Edition, Original Advertising Campaign, and Layout & Design); Digital (Website Excellence, Facebook Campaign, Instagram Campaign, and Video Campaign); and Audience (Community Service, Community Engagement, Newspaper Excellence, and Newsletter Excellence).
Advertisement

The Final Call won first place entries for Environment reporting in the Equity category based on a story by Final Call contributor Michael Z. Muhammad; and reporting in the Business category by contributing editor James G. Muhammad, who is also a past Final Call editor in chief. Contributing writer Anisah Muhammad won a second place award in the Health category. A third place Entertainment award was earned for a story written by Naba’a Muhammad and Charlene Muhammad. Production Department designers and laborers Timothy 6X, Nathan Muhammad, Nadir Muhammad and Sundari Muhammad won a third place for tabloid Layout and Design.
“For over four decades, the NNPA Fund awards program is similar to the Academy Awards or Pulitzer Prize recognizing excellence in journalism and entrepreneurship in the Black Press of America. With award entries from across the country, judges in journalism and corporate communication select the Best of the Best nationwide,” said the event organizers, who also handed out scholarships to Black students from HBCU’s pursuing degrees in journalism, English, media or related fields.
The fund is the non-profit division of the National Newspaper Publishers Association, an 80-year-old trade association that represents Black-owned community newspapers across the U.S. The foundation delivers value to NNPA members through professional development, strategic partnerships and heightened access to resources.
The NNPA Fund also “provides professional, academic and pre-professional training for minorities in media, promotes charitable, educational and literary activities that advance high standards in ethnic media, and manages a scholarship program, an internship program, an awards recognition event and other projects and initiatives.”

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

AFRO wins big at NNPA awards ceremony during annual convention​

by Kara Thompson AFRO MDDC InternJuly 1, 2022

FrancesToniDraper.jpg
Frances “Toni” Draper wins ‘Publisher of the Year.

By Kara Thompson,
MDDC Intern
The AFRO American Newspapers won big at the National Newspapers Publishers Association’s (NNPA) Messenger Awards this year.
The publication, which began in 1892, was one of many newspapers recognized for their outstanding work in the Black Press. Among the eight awards won by the AFRO, the most notable was the John B. Russwurm Award, which was the pinnacle award of the evening.
The award is named after Russwurm, who was the founder of Freedom’s Journal in 1827, the first newspaper in America that was owned and operated by African Americans. It is given to the paper with the most cumulative points of all the papers recognized.
In total, the AFRO won five first-place awards, two second-place awards, and one third-place award.
The NNPA is a trade association of over 200 African-American-owned newspapers across the country. For the past 79 years, the NNPA has been the voice of the Black community and is the largest and most influential Black-owned media resource in America. This year marks the 195th anniversary of the Black Press.
Many of the awards given out each year are named for significant Black journalists, including the Armstrong Ellington Award in Entertainment. This year, the first place award was for an article titled “Elton John and My Coming of Age” by Mylika Scatliffe, of the AFRO. The award is named after musicians Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.
“I’m incredibly honored and proud to be recognized both individually and as a part of the AFRO team,” said Scatliffe. “‘Elton John and My Coming of Age’ was one of my more personal pieces and I’m glad it resonated with readers.”
FrancesToniDraper.jpg
Frances “Toni” Draper, AFRO CEO and Publisher, wins ‘Publisher of the Year.’
Dr. Frances “Toni” Draper, chairman of the board and publisher of the AFRO, received this year’s Publisher of the Year award from the NNPA.
“I am grateful to the members of the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA) for selecting me as Publisher of the Year. There is absolutely nothing more thrilling (and humbling) than being recognized by one’s peers,” said Draper. “Thanks to NNPA treasurer Cheryl Smith, publisher of the Texas Metro News, for nominating me and to the NNPA Fund. I also am grateful to God, for the dedicated and talented AFRO team for trusting my leadership.”
The AFRO publisher also added that “while our methods are constantly changing, our mission remains the same— to uplift, challenge, and empower the communities we are privileged to serve.”
The AFRO’s own Lenora Howze also won an award in advertising.
The Lifetime Achievement Award was granted to Bobby R. Henry Sr., the publisher and CEO of Westside Gazette Newspaper in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In addition to working for the family-owned African-American newspaper, Henry has served on the board of various organizations, including the NNPA.
Stephanie Mills, the 65-year-old R&B singer and stage actress performed a song at the event. She was given the 2022 Legacy Award, along with Rep. Maxine Waters (D–MO) of California and Jackson State University Football Head Coach Deion Sanders.
“Where would we be without the Black press? Before we as Black artists received any press back in the day, we got love from the Black press,” said Mills, in a statement posted to Instagram. “Too many artists today forget that it was the Black newspapers that covered us. So this award means so much to me. Being honored by my own is so liberating and appreciated. So let it be known, the Black press matters.”

Last edited:

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
That’s outstanding. I used to go buy a Final Call every Saturday from the Brothers on Miller St in Ft Worth before I moved. They still be out there too. One of the best publications out there.