'THE FIRST SLAVE OWNER WAS A BLACK MAN!!'

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
The American concept of slavery was unrivaled in its brutality and scope as well. Slavery had previously been similar to indentured servitude prior to the Atlantic slave trade. It was possible to work or buy your way out of it. The Transatlantic form of slave trade where you uprooted an entire culture and put their entire family tree to work for perpetuity was unprecedented. Your kids kids kids kids was gonna be slaves and there was no way out of it.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
How about....

Slavery ended 400 Years Ago, get over it.

Current Year - 2015

Thirteenth Amendment - 1865

2015 (minus) 1865 = 150

:francis:

And whites been saying this shyt at least since I can remember (The 90's, I was born in 87). They probably started that shyt long before I was born. Hell, whites probably started talking about slavery ending hundreds of years ago, a couple of years after it actually ended! Cacs were probably walking around in 1870 telling bruthas to get over it!

(Before it's addressed, I understand that we could add at least another 100 years of government-sanctioned oppression after 1865, and that we could also discuss the numerous forms of oppression in place today. My comment is strictly about full on enslavement though.)

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
They keep referring to the "fictional character" Anthony Johnson whenever they bring this up...

What they neglect to mention is that he was born in Angola not the US (not American) and there is no actual record of his birth, he never LEGALLY owned slaves (as blacks were not legally able to own land or property at the time), the slaves he had in his possession were actually family which he held to get them free, and after his death all his possessions were conveniently passed down to a white man, leaving his remaining family nothing, including no freeman papers.

His story is so outlandish its probably not true, and at best fabricated and exaggerated to a great extent. Its hard to believe a kidnapped slave that actually survived being carried from his country could so quickly learn to read, write and adapt to a foreign culture and outsmart the local, state, federal governments ALONG with making good with his entire community of local whites that they accepted his claims of ownership. Homie is either not real or the GREATEST example of Black Excellence to ever exist. :stopitslime:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
How about....

Slavery ended 400 Years Ago, get over it.

Current Year - 2015

Thirteenth Amendment - 1865

2015 (minus) 1865 = 150

:francis:

And whites been saying this shyt at least since I can remember (The 90's, I was born in 87). They probably started that shyt long before I was born. Hell, whites probably started talking about slavery ending hundreds of years ago, a couple of years after it actually ended! Cacs were probably walking around in 1870 telling bruthas to get over it!

(Before it's addressed, I understand that we could add at least another 100 years of government-sanctioned oppression after 1865, and that we could also discuss the numerous forms of oppression in place today. My comment is strictly about full on enslavement though.)

Bruh, slavery was still on the books in states up to the year 2000! The Federal government made laws against it in 1865, but it didn't actually take place and get implemented nationwide til the 1900s. Black people only really been free for about 80 years....

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
They keep referring to the "fictional character" Anthony Johnson whenever they bring this up...

What they neglect to mention is that he was born in Angola not the US (not American) and there is no actual record of his birth, he never LEGALLY owned slaves (as blacks were not legally able to own land or property at the time), the slaves he had in his possession were actually family which he held to get them free, and after his death all his possessions were conveniently passed down to a white man, leaving his remaining family nothing, including no freeman papers.

His story is so outlandish its probably not true, and at best fabricated and exaggerated to a great extent. Its hard to believe a kidnapped slave that actually survived being carried from his country could so quickly learn to read, write and adapt to a foreign culture and outsmart the local, state, federal governments ALONG with making good with his entire community of local whites that they accepted his claims of ownership. Homie is either not real or the GREATEST example of Black Excellence to ever exist. :stopitslime:
Well said!!

"While the case of Anthony Johnson and John Casor was not the case of the first slave, first slave owner, or first legal slave owner, it might possible have been the first civil case involving slavery, and at the very least is the first known example in the colonies of a black man owning either indenture servants or slaves. Slaves had been here since 1619, and all slaves had been “legal” slaves (and thus their owners “legal” slave owners) since the first law legalizing slavery passed. The first man to be considered a slave by a court of law was John Punch, and his owner Hugh Gwyn considered the first slave owner by a court of law. However it might be of interest to note that in 1670, when Johnson died, a court in Virginia ruled that, because “he was a Negro and by consequence an alien,” the land owned by Johnson (in Virginia) rightfully belonged to the Crown meaning that because he was a negro he did not have the legal right to own property to begin with. "

Was the First Slave Owner in America a Black Man?

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
The American concept of slavery was unrivaled in its brutality and scope as well. Slavery had previously been similar to indentured servitude prior to the Atlantic slave trade. It was possible to work or buy your way out of it. The Transatlantic form of slave trade where you uprooted an entire culture and put their entire family tree to work for perpetuity was unprecedented. Your kids kids kids kids was gonna be slaves and there was no way out of it.

I don't know about unrivaled dem Arabs were straight savage when they were enslaving us before we got snatched from the continent.