The Legendary trainer Eddie Futch (RIP) on Floyd Mayweather

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
For all the casuals in here just fyi in case u didn't know Eddie Futch was a Hall Of Fame legendary trainer from Detroit who trained 4 of the 5 men who beat Muhammad Ali. He also trained Montell Griffin in his 1st fight against Roy Jones Jr. and created a great blueprint to fight RJJ to take advantage of his boxing flaws, and up until a certain point where RJJ's talent took over Griffin had my boy RJJ frustrated like he never was b4

So just so u know Eddie Futch had a tremendous pedigree. But anyway about what he said about Floyd

On October 10, 2001, boxing trainer Eddie Futch died at age 90. Tim Smith of the New York Daily News remembered an encounter with the trainer in an article.

One of the last times I saw Futch was before the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Diego Corrales junior lightweight title bout in Vegas. Futch was talking about how much he admired Mayweather's style, how Mayweather was such a beautiful boxer, able to slip along the ropes and avoid punches. Corrales said he was going to neutralize Mayweather's hand speed by hitting Mayweather on the arms. 'I guess he thinks he's going to stand there and let him hit him on the arms all night,' said Futch, who correctly predicted that Mayweather would completely dismantle Corrales in a defensive masterpiece. Futch had a way of cutting to the heart of a matter. I don't know anyone in boxing who won't miss him. I don't know anyone in boxing that can take his place

:ohlawd: that praise

Last edited:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I remember how much respect I lost for a lot of so called "Boxing Aficionados" on here when a lot of yall thought Manny PEDman would beat Floyd and was a better boxer and constantly act like Floyd ain't damn near technically perfect

But u know of course yall would have more knowledge than Eddie Futch right:troll:

:mjlol:

:salute:to the posters that actually know boxing. Not the one's who pretend to. U know who u are:sas2:

Last edited:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
I can still remember first getting Directv back in 96 and he was on a fight card with his uncle Jeff. Just a small PPV back in the day that they used to offer for like 10 bucks or something. And even then no lie I knew it was something special about that kid and that he would be here for the long haul. Cant say I expected this level of dominance for so long though.

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
For all the casuals in here just fyi in case u didn't know Eddie Futch was a Hall Of Fame legendary trainer from Detroit who trained 4 of the 5 men who beat Muhammad Ali. He also gave trained Montell Griffin in his 1st fight against Roy Jones Jr. and created a great blueprint to fight RJJ to take advantage of his boxing flaws, and up until a certain point where RJJ's talent took over Griffin had my boy RJJ frustrated like he never was b4

So just so u know Eddie Futch had a tremendous pedigree. But anyway about what he said about Floyd

On October 10, 2001, boxing trainer Eddie Futch died at age 90. Tim Smith of the New York Daily News remembered an encounter with the trainer in an article.

One of the last times I saw Futch was before the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Diego Corrales junior lightweight title bout in Vegas. Futch was talking about how much he admired Mayweather's style, how Mayweather was such a beautiful boxer, able to slip along the ropes and avoid punches. Corrales said he was going to neutralize Mayweather's hand speed by hitting Mayweather on the arms. 'I guess he thinks he's going to stand there and let him hit him on the arms all night,' said Futch, who correctly predicted that Mayweather would completely dismantle Corrales in a defensive masterpiece. Futch had a way of cutting to the heart of a matter. I don't know anyone in boxing who won't miss him. I don't know anyone in boxing that can take his place

:ohlawd: that praise
Freddie Roach trainer & mentor too.