The Lost Empire: Black Freemasonry in the Old West (1867-1906) by James R. Morgan III

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Book-Mockup-3-600x828.png

This book tells the history of African American Freemasonry in the Old West as seen through the lens of Captain William D. Matthews and the King Solomon Grand Lodge of Kansas.

Great book, wonderful man -- who also happens to be my cousin. :smile:

The Lost Empire |

With The Lost Empire: Black Freemasonry in the Old West (1867-1906), James R. Morgan III artfully transports readers to the period when western outlaws ruled the territories and brings them face to face with the black men who brought enlightenment, guidance and protection to the formerly enslaved through organization. At the vanguard was Captain William Dominick Matthews--Freemason, Civil War officer and abolitionist--who became one of the most illustrious and controversial figures of his time.

This book takes an in-depth look at the role Freemasonry played in shaping African American culture, and examines the lives of the most prominent black Freemasons of the period as well as their internal and external battles. Captain Matthews followed his own rules of masonic leadership, informed by the violent and fast paced time in which he lived. This was the west and this is how it was won for Black Freemasonry!

James R. Morgan III is a graduate of the Howard University in Washington, D.C. where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications and African American History in 2011. He is a genealogist and member of the James Dent Walker Chapter of the African American Historical and Genealogical Society (AAHGS) and a panelist on the Black ProGen Live Youtube show. He is a founding member and Co-Panelist on the monthly Youtube based show entitled “The Prince Hall Think Tank”.

Mr. Morgan serves the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia as its Worshipful Grand Historian & Archivist. James is also an Honorary Fellow of the Phylaxis Research Society. Brother Morgan is the author of the book The Lost Empire: Black Freemasonry in the Old West (1867-1906).​

The Lost Empire: Black Freemasonry in the Old West 1867-1906 - James Morgan Ill

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Idk how I feel about black masons

I wanted to join a Prince Hall lodge when I was younger, but reading up on the history of it had me not wanting to associate it them..they had to go to Scotland to get recognized because the racist white folk in America and at Harvard didn’t want black men to be masons and associated with them

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Idk how I feel about black masons

I wanted to join a Prince Hall lodge when I was younger, but reading up on the history of it had me not wanting to associate it them..they had to go to Scotland to get recognized because the racist white folk in America and at Harvard didn’t want black men to be masons and associated with them

Agreed.

I def think it was different back then -- but I haven't really done the research.

My Father and Grandfather and Great Grandfather were all Masons. But, of course I don't know much about what they did and their lodges.

James (the author ) is from my Maternal line -- but he is like a 2-3rd Cousin -- so I am not sure about that side of the family.