The Math Thread - Falling in love with math like 2+2=4

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Note that I'm in my 30's.

A few months back I got a math textbook just to learn math in my spare time because it has always been a weakness and I am working as an electrician so I felt it best to improve on my algebra since I'm using it every day.

Somehow, some way I've fallen in love with math.

To help you understand my POV, it was said that at one point that I had a math disability. I was also in remedial math and math was the only subject I struggled with going back to first grade.

Somewhere along with my studies it clicked. As an avid gamer, I now view math almost like a video game. Like Tetris, or a puzzle platformer, or a fighting game or any game where you have to Git Gud. Something about it clicked and has fed into my nature that wants to learn and master something. Once I'm stuck on a concept it's like I have to understand why I'm wrong and I have to understand the concept. I downloaded Khan Academy to fill in holes in the math I struggled with growing up and now I'm finding myself order Calculus textbooks. It has become something I'm actively involving myself with in on the daily. I've joined a Math discord, talk math with people there, I've even made Math "friends".

This video is similar to my method. If I'm stuck on something I will look up the answer and "give up" rather than beat myself up. Then by getting the answer I will do the question until I get the correct answer. Essentially by learning the answer I have to teach myself the correct way to get the answer through logic in order to correctly solve the puzzle. Then I'll move on to the next question, often which is the same type of math. By the time I've finished the questions on my session I get every question right and I've mastered the concept. Often the success rate is 100 out of 100 using this method and it makes each session of math feel rewarding and addictive.

I treat math as if it's a game and my brain can't get enough of it.

Crazy to think math could be so fun. Makes me think of a me in in a different time learned to love math and pursued a career as a mathematician. I've actually considered doing just that and double majoring in Physics and Math but I have other career goals in mind.

Resources

Khan Academy - web and on in app form
Reddit - r/math and r/learnmath
Resource compilation - Via r/LearnMath

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
This shyt was my kryptonite in college. Strangely enough, I excelled in statistics but bombed algebra :yeshrug:

Salute to any brehs who has a knack for it, certainly helps career wise.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
This shyt was my kryptonite in college. Strangely enough, I excelled in statistics but bombed algebra :yeshrug:

Salute to any brehs who has a knack for it, certainly helps career wise.
Think of math as not having a knack for it but a set of skills that require knowledge. If you’re good at one skill but bad at another you are at a disadvantage. Math is like a game. In games you must know the rules so if you don’t know the rules fully you won’t be able to do it. Math is about knowledge to help you complete a logic puzzle.

The way math is taught in America is also doo doo. Did you know that before high school in math education a teacher doesn’t have to have a prerequisite in math as an educator? We literally have unqualified people teaching it.

Thinking math is something you either you get or you don’t is so destructive.

CBSwagga

All Star
Daps
How’s it going for you? I end up trying to solve math problems for the hell of it. I used to say things like,”I can’t do that” to just simply trying.
Hasn't been bad. I need to up the pace actually going through Khan academy. I'll check back once I get into that high school math. It has been fun though to dive back in

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Got this book. It promises a serious flex: the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers in your head. The preface promises being able to multiply 371x191 in your head. So far so good. It has started off well. It's pocket sized, you can take it out anywhere and do some exercises. I can already add multiple batches of numbers together in a somewhat fast manner. It truly works.

GwPyY6c.jpeg

Hasn't been bad. I need to up the pace actually going through Khan academy. I'll check back once I get into that high school math. It has been fun though to dive back in
Good luck with them GREs breh. When do you test?

Last edited:

trap101

All Star
Daps
Got this book. It promises a serious flex: the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers in your head. The preface promises being able to multiply 371x191 in your head. So far so good. It has started off well. It's pocket sized, you can take it out anywhere and do some exercises. I can already add multiple batches of numbers together in a somewhat fast manner. It truly works.

GwPyY6c.jpeg

Good luck with them GREs breh. When do you test?
The surprises that await you when you see the regard professional mathematicians look at the ability to perform calculations in the head with......... and when you no longer call it Calculus, but Analysis..... :sas2: