The Narrative Of Jay-Z's '4:44' Is Driven By The Value Of Black Capitalism

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
ef901175096aea22e951a096f44ea38b.700x500x1.jpg

The Narrative Of Jay-Z's '4:44' Is Driven By The Value Of Black Capitalism | Genius

JAY-Z’s new album 4:44 is one of his most personal albums to date. Throughout the project, the Brooklyn rapper discusses his marriage, his daughter Blue Ivy, and most constant of all, his views on how entrepreneurship and capitalism can help black people. The idea of black capitalism has existed since slaves were freed in 1863, and has been a part of modern black culture ever since. Black capitalism is the act of black people creating their own businesses and spending money with other black entrepreneurs, thus preserving and enhancing wealth in their own communities.

Recently, specific movements within black capitalism have sprung to life, including “Bank Black” and “Buy Black,” both of which seek to keep money in black communities. JAY-Z is steadfast in his support of this ideology, sprinkling it throughout 4:44.

One of the most prominent examples of this narrative is “The Story of O.J.” Early on, JAY-Z, expresses regret over his decision to not buy a building in the DUMBO area of Brooklyn, which is now extremely expensive due to gentrification:

I coulda bought a place in Dumbo before it was Dumbo
For like 2 million
That same building today is worth 25 million
Guess how I’m feelin'? Dumbo

Next, he shakes off criticism about his taste for high-end art and reveals a deeper plan for his children’s financial freedom:

Financial freedom my only hope
fukk livin' rich and dyin' broke
I bought some artwork for 1 million
2 years later, that shyt worth 2 million
Few years later, that shyt worth 8 million
I can’t wait to give this shyt to my children

Fine art appreciates year over year and Jay-Z plans on keeping it within his family, thus retaining wealth amongst black people.

Lyrics on “Smile” also point to the power of black ownership:

Respect Jimmy Iovine
But he gotta respect the Elohim as a whole new regime
And nikkas playin' for power, huh
So our music is ours
nikkas only own houses

JAY-Z references his ongoing streaming platform competition with music legend and Apple Music executive Jimmy Iovine. Jay feels that TIDAL is aimed more toward artists making money and owning the fruits of their labor than Apple Music.

The second verse of “Caught Their Eyes” is about Jay’s distaste for how Prince’s estate monetized his music and home after his death, underscoring the point that black artists should always strive to own their material:

This guy had ‘Slave’ on his face
You think he wanted the masters with his masters?
You greedy b*stards sold tickets to walk through his house
I’m surprised you ain’t auction off the casket

He renounces his checkered past and offers a glimpse into his new approach to money making on “Family Feud”:

fukk rap, crack cocaine
Nah, we did that, Black-owned things
Hundred percent, Black-owned champagne
And we merrily merrily eatin' off these streams
Y'all still drinkin' Perrier-Jouët, huh

Before finding success with hip-hop, Jay worked as a drug dealer. Here, he shows that he’s still aiming higher, purchasing a large stake in Armand de Brignac champagne, also known as “Ace Of Spades.”

On the same song, Jay sends support to his industry peer and friend Sean “Diddy” Combs, who is part-owner of the vodka brand Cîroc:

We all lose when the family feuds
What’s better than one billionaire? Two
I’ll be damned if I drink some Belvedere while Puff got Cîroc
Y'all need to stop

His support of black capitalism is evident throughout the album’s final track, “Legacy”:

Take those moneys and spread ‘cross families
My sisters, Hattie and Lou, the nephews, cousins and TT
Eric, the rest to B for whatever she wants to do
She might start an institute
She might put poor kids through school

Jay plans to give his money to his family after he passes away, and expects his wife Beyoncé to use the money for philanthropic goals.

Later on, he tells Blue Ivy to leave wealth for her new twin siblings and to take his acquisitions to new heights:

Leave a piece for your siblings to give to their children too
TIDAL, the champagne, D'USSÉ, I’d like to see
A nice peace-fund ideas from people who look like we
We gon' start a society within a society

Jay also comments on discrimination in the lucrative tech industry:

That’s major, just like the Negro League
There was a time America wouldn’t let us ball
Those times are now back, just now called Afro-tech
Generational wealth, that’s the key

Even though he changed his family’s life financially, Jay-Z never forgot who he owes it all to:

My parents ain’t have shyt, so that ship started with me
My mom took her money, she bought me bonds
That was the sweetest thing of all time, uh

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Jay also comments on discrimination in the lucrative tech industry:

That’s major, just like the Negro League
There was a time America wouldn’t let us ball
Those times are now back, just now called Afro-tech
Generational wealth, that’s the key

I don't fukk with Hov but cosign this, a black/african silicon valley :rejoicenas:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I'm still awaiting a critique of the album from an Afrikan leftist. :jbhmm:

Oh please that would be too easy...

We need to understand that once a Black person becomes a multi-millionaire...they are no longer Black like the rest of us...matter of fact...statistically socioeconomically speaking...they are no longer Black...

Our condition is rooted in poverty and systematic discrimination and denial of generation wealth...

So what sense does it make to listen to a Black person that is worth around 800 million dollars....talking about owning champagne brands and streaming platforms...

Like nikka please...

When a nikka is lowkey on some..."Hey you should buy some paintings to protect yourself against inflation..."

nikka what the fukk that gotta do with me...

nikka I don' t give a fukk about the finances of music artists...I high key don't care...

nikka I am worried about student loan debt and shyt...nikka I don't give a fukk about your money...you got millions of dollars...

nikka Prince was worth over a quarter billion...and had "Slave" on his face...nikka there were thousands of nikkas in Jail that were actual fukking slaves...they actually had a legal status of slaves...

This nikka Prince was fighting over a music catalog...nikkas that were actual slaves...in prison...are fighting for their life and their dignity...

Let's be real...

Black people need to seriously come to the realization that rich Black people do absolutely and I mean absolutely nothing for the masses of Black people...

White power isn't in Bill Gates...its in the fact that they have a middle class...it's in the fact...that their parents can put down a downpayment on a house...for their children...

We honestly think nikkas like Jay Z are valuable to us as a race of people...

Matter fact Jay Z honestly told Black people that...nikka the fact I exist is a benefit to you nikkas don't talk to me about Black politics...

nikka Michael Jackson was the biggest star to ever exist and that nikka did not prevent Ronald Regan and Crack....

Rich and famous Black people have absolutely no political value...

None...

Whatsoever

None...

They are a hinderance...

Because how much you wanna bet if Black people started a revolution...a true political and socio-economic revolution and we were pushing for the highest wealth tax in existence...these rich nikkas gonna side with rich White folks...

Matter of fact...Black people spend more time focusing on rich nikkas and their money...that we forget that we are the poorest of the poor.

nikkas will vouch that Stephen Curry deserves more money...but not a Black fast food worker...

fukk rich nikkas...real talk...fukk 'em...

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@CharlieManson @Poitier @JahFocus CS

Notice how these rich blacks/black capitalist when always questioned for why they never give back ALWAYS SAY: "black people are always looking for a handout."

It rings very similar to those who hate the government for helping out its citizens and see poor people as "lazy."

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yvette just did a show on it this week:

I'm a die hard Jay fan and when I saw this last week I'd never heard of Yvette. My first instinct was to hate and that she doesn't get it but she is the truth! Not just on Jay but she's spot on about so many things. Needless to say I subscribed to the channel and her newsletter and have been binge watching her videos as often as I can for the past week. Just caught the tail end of her streak tonight. She's the only black voice in the community that makes any real tangible sense to me right now. She can be repetitive and even seem cynical sometimes but she's right.

Here's tonight's follow up

Last edited:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh please that would be too easy...

We need to understand that once a Black person becomes a multi-millionaire...they are no longer Black like the rest of us...matter of fact...statistically socioeconomically speaking...they are no longer Black...

Our condition is rooted in poverty and systematic discrimination and denial of generation wealth...

So what sense does it make to listen to a Black person that is worth around 800 million dollars....talking about owning champagne brands and streaming platforms...

Like nikka please...

When a nikka is lowkey on some..."Hey you should buy some paintings to protect yourself against inflation..."

nikka what the fukk that gotta do with me...

nikka I don' t give a fukk about the finances of music artists...I high key don't care...

nikka I am worried about student loan debt and shyt...nikka I don't give a fukk about your money...you got millions of dollars...

nikka Prince was worth over a quarter billion...and had "Slave" on his face...nikka there were thousands of nikkas in Jail that were actual fukking slaves...they actually had a legal status of slaves...

This nikka Prince was fighting over a music catalog...nikkas that were actual slaves...in prison...are fighting for their life and their dignity...

Let's be real...

Black people need to seriously come to the realization that rich Black people do absolutely and I mean absolutely nothing for the masses of Black people...

White power isn't in Bill Gates...its in the fact that they have a middle class...it's in the fact...that their parents can put down a downpayment on a house...for their children...

We honestly think nikkas like Jay Z are valuable to us as a race of people...

Matter fact Jay Z honestly told Black people that...nikka the fact I exist is a benefit to you nikkas don't talk to me about Black politics...

nikka Michael Jackson was the biggest star to ever exist and that nikka did not prevent Ronald Regan and Crack....

Rich and famous Black people have absolutely no political value...

None...

Whatsoever

None...

They are a hinderance...

Because how much you wanna bet if Black people started a revolution...a true political and socio-economic revolution and we were pushing for the highest wealth tax in existence...these rich nikkas gonna side with rich White folks...

Matter of fact...Black people spend more time focusing on rich nikkas and their money...that we forget that we are the poorest of the poor.

nikkas will vouch that Stephen Curry deserves more money...but not a Black fast food worker...

fukk rich nikkas...real talk...fukk 'em...

:ohhh: