The Oakland Athletics have turned off comments on ALL their social media accounts for 2024.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
After the trade deadline the 2022 team had a payroll of $22 million and had 0 players under contract for 2023. Eric Chavez is still the biggest contract they’ve ever given out at $66 million before the current owner bought them. The 2023 team went into opening day with the same payroll they had in 1991. This year they’re the only team in the majors with a payroll lower than what they had in 2007. It’s also worth noting that their owner was allowed to submit a non competitive bid to buy them. Reality is that the fans are right to not show up for a team run by maybe the worst owner in North American pro sports. An owner who never should’ve been allowed to buy the team and who should’ve at least been forced to sell ages ago. It’s also largely his fault the raiders left.
Don’t know much but

“Despite having the eighth best record in baseball since 2000, for over two decades the A's continuously finished at or near the bottom in all of MLB in home field attendance and local market TV ratings.”

As an investor, I wouldn’t invest shyt if I don’t any return regardless of how we perform.

focusloco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NORTH LAS VEGAS
The owner is a cheap a$$hole that was lucky to have billy beane as his GM to cape for his unwillingness to pay his good players ....the Oakland mayor also played a big role in this situation ...they're coming here to Vegas in 2028 and the expectations are low at them becoming a winning franchise but they will ɓuild a stadium that will sell most of their season tickets like the Raiders because the tickets will be in high demand from tourists coming here to watch their team...I'm thinking the crowds will look like a Chargers game at Sofi :patrice:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Don’t know much but

“Despite having the eighth best record in baseball since 2000, for over two decades the A's continuously finished at or near the bottom in all of MLB in home field attendance and local market TV ratings.”

As an investor, I wouldn’t invest shyt if I don’t any return regardless of how we perform.
The reason fans don’t show up is because whenever they get good players they give them away or let them leave in free agency once their contract expires. If a team with a bad GM had their budget they’d be a lock to lose 105+ games every year and the fans know it. When the organization consistently shows it isn’t committed to winning, it’s unreasonable to expect the fans to show up even if the team turns out to be surprisingly good every now and then. Pro sports isn’t like college sports where fans will keep showing up if the players all leave after 1-4 years. Warriors attendance was usually good even when they were bad so it’s not the fans. It’s the owner. Same problem the marlins have. Fans in a market that should be thriving have been burned for decades on end by cheap & indifferent ownership so they don’t trust them enough to show up.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
The reason fans don’t show up is because whenever they get good players they give them away or let them leave in free agency once their contract expires. If a team with a bad GM had their budget they’d be a lock to lose 105+ games every year and the fans know it. When the organization consistently shows it isn’t committed to winning, it’s unreasonable to expect the fans to show up even if the team turns out to be surprisingly good every now and then. Pro sports isn’t like college sports where fans will keep showing up if the players all leave after 1-4 years. Warriors attendance was usually good even when they were bad so it’s not the fans. It’s the owner. Same problem the marlins have. Fans in a market that should be thriving have been burned for decades on end by cheap & indifferent ownership so they don’t trust them enough to show up.
Warriors was the only basketball team in the bay - a major market. And from what I have a read this problem supersedes the current owner.

3 teams left Oakland and have been wanting to leave Oakland for years. Somehow I doubt that all 3 cases are due to like 7 different owners.

Last edited:

focusloco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NORTH LAS VEGAS
Should have stayed their asses in OAKLAND!!!:ufdup:

My cousins are from San Leandro.. the biggest A's fans I ever seen...they brought me out to the O watch my first MLB game and been there for hella more games since...the east bay should be able to keep at least 1 pro franchise man ...the owners and politicians did them dirty

Last edited:

calh45

Cal
Daps
Warriors was the only basketball team in the bay - a major market. And from what I have a read this problem supersedes the current owner.

3 teams left Oakland and have been wanting to leave Oakland for years. Somehow I doubt that all 3 cases are due to like 7 different owners.

It is that simple though. The NBA literally never named the team Oakland Warriors because they didn't want to be associated with the city. Lacob was dying to leave from the point he bought it. Al Davis was shiesty as hell and his son wasn't any better. They both wanted the city to do what Vegas did aka pay for it and gift it when he already burned Oakland before we they paid for renovations. (Sheldon Adelson is the reason why Vegas did it and Mark Davis lied to him for him to use his connects) and John Fisher spent the past 35 years trying to move the team to San Jose before Vegas. He openly was trying to move to SJ and the only reason he didn't was because the Giants owners blocked it. That's why fans didn't fukk with him. He literally ran the team like the lady owner in Major League and folks in here pretending like the fans not wanting to support that shyt is the problem. That's not even going into him purposely letting the best players leave. He never wanted that team to make the playoffs because if they were good they'd have to stay in Oakland and he'd have to pay players.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It is that simple though. The NBA literally never named the team Oakland Warriors because they didn't want to be associated with the city. Lacob was dying to leave from the point he bought it. Al Davis was shiesty as hell and his son wasn't any better. They both wanted the city to do what Vegas did aka pay for it and gift it when he already burned Oakland before we they paid for renovations. (Sheldon Adelson is the reason why Vegas did it and Mark Davis lied to him for him to use his connects) and John Fisher spent the past 35 years trying to move the team to San Jose before Vegas. He openly was trying to move to SJ and the only reason he didn't was because the Giants owners blocked it. That's why fans didn't fukk with him. He literally ran the team like the lady owner in Major League and folks in here pretending like the fans not wanting to support that shyt is the problem. That's not even going into him purposely letting the best players leave. He never wanted that team to make the playoffs because if they were good they'd have to stay in Oakland and he'd have to pay players.
So what are you saying? Keep it factual.

Only facts I can google is

1. That they have the worst TV ratings and physical attendance, while having one of the best records, for the past decades.
2. Seven different owners wanted to move teams in different leagues and sports from Oakland for various reasons.
3. It's hard to retain big players when you have a poor sports culture, cause you have no money. (chicken or egg)
4. If you only care about the name of the players, and not the performance of the team, you obviously aren't fans of the team. That does not sound like a good basis for wanting to have a billion dollar sports operation there. "If we can't have the same guys as LA or NY, we won't watch" type of thing?

All I hear is "the fans didn't fukk with everyone that has ever been because x, y, and z". Fans across the globe don't fukk with owners, still pull up. Now you can go on and not fukk with anything at all. No loss for the fans, apparently, and happiness for the players, league, owners, and the other cities :yeshrug:

kT21eyf5dtfvVnW57ViD4ml2LTSyjP11iXyCs6-jL1Y.gif

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
So what are you saying? Keep it factual.

Only facts I can google is

1. That they have the worst TV ratings and physical attendance, while having one of the best records, for the past decades.
2. Seven different owners wanted to move teams in different leagues and sports from Oakland for various reasons.
3. It's hard to retain big players when you have a poor sports culture, cause you have no money. (chicken or egg)
4. If you only care about the name of the players, and not the performance of the team, you obviously aren't fans of the team. That does not sound like a good basis for wanting to have a billion dollar sports operation there. "If we can't have the same guys as LA or NY, we won't watch" type of thing?

All I hear is "the fans didn't fukk with everyone that has ever been because x, y, and z". Fans across the globe don't fukk with owners, still pull up. Now you can go on and not fukk with anything at all. No loss for the fans, apparently, and happiness for the players, league, owners, and the other cities :yeshrug:

kT21eyf5dtfvVnW57ViD4ml2LTSyjP11iXyCs6-jL1Y.gif

There is a reason for everything. One of the reasons they have poor viewership numbers is because they gave TV rights to a lot of the surrounding area to the old Giants owner during tough times to convince him to keep the Giants in San Francisco. After the Giants rebounded the A's wanted the rights back but there was a new SF owner and he said fukk you, they mine now.

The Raiders wanted to stay in Oakland but the Oakland owner did some deal with the city that not only blocked the Raiders from getting a new stadium but prevented them from upgrading the Coliseum as well. So the Raiders leaving squarely sits on the shoulders of the government and the As.

After years of seeing stars come up in your organization only to give them away when big market teams come calling, fans will become disillusioned with the team. Its one thing when its a minor league team, the tickets are 10 dollars with a free t-shirt or free food. Its another when its a professional team charging 100+ for tickets and any player you like can be given away for peanuts at any moment. Why would you support that shyt?