Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I have honestly always held that miles does not work in the 616 or any universe that peter Parker lives in because the name spider man is completely trenched with peter Parker. Miles needs his own universe or his own mantle, you can’t have two spider-man it dilutes the brand

I think Miles and Pete can work in the same space but [part] of the problem I've always seen with Miles is they make and keep him as a generic carbon-copy of young Peter [which is the basic architect of "wide-eyed naive hero with 'heart' that's in over his/her head"] and like @parallax said, whenever there's an opportunity to actually distinguish Miles.. they [and by they, I mean Bendis] reel it back in. It's why Miles and Pete work very well if Peter is a lot older and can thus be removed from the architect, and instead be the experienced but goofy mentor.

.. but how cool would it be if Miles, in addition to the basic young hero architect, also had a strong personality like, say, Huey Freeman from Boondocks?

You then could have a young Miles and a young Pete in the same space, and they would have very different viewpoints, types of quips, and interactions with each other and the greater MU.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Spider-man 800
Flash :wow: Wonder how long it will last tho, can already see an out

Miles, Kamala, and Nova as a trinity. I can see Miles and Kamala.. but no one is checking for Nova :skip:

the only other young latino heroes are robbie reyes and the new chapulin colorado, but i think they have big league plans for robbie

Robbie was getting a push for awhile, but things have cooled for him. Cool design tho.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Spider-man 800
Flash :wow: Wonder how long it will last tho, can already see an out

Miles, Kamala, and Nova as a trinity. I can see Miles and Kamala.. but no one is checking for Nova :skip:

Robbie was getting a push for awhile, but things have cooled for him. Cool design tho.

they had him beat starbrand recently and out of nowhere, so i hope they have a reason for that

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I completely forgot about Robbie.

He's clearly the 3rd of any trinity, more-so than Nova.

Marvel on that can't let go/good ol boys bullshyt tho, with how trash I heard Robbie's last appearances were (pre-Aaron Avengers) and concurrently how hard they've tried to push/reestablish John Blaze in the spirits of vengeance and dr strange damnation minis.

Same thing with Nakia and even Tessa-Valyrie. Just love making terrible decisions if left unchecked or if a big name writer doesn't swoop in

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Miles and Pete can work in the same space but [part] of the problem I've always seen with Miles is they make and keep him as a generic carbon-copy of young Peter [which is the basic architect of "wide-eyed naive hero with 'heart' that's in over his/her head"] and like @parallax said, whenever there's an opportunity to actually distinguish Miles.. they [and by they, I mean Bendis] reel it back in. It's why Miles and Pete work very well if Peter is a lot older and can thus be removed from the architect, and instead be the experienced but goofy mentor.

.. but how cool would it be if Miles, in addition to the basic young hero architect, also had a strong personality like, say, Huey Freeman from Boondocks?

You then could have a young Miles and a young Pete in the same space, and they would have very different viewpoints, types of quips, and interactions with each other and the greater MU.
Would be interesting, but Miles is too much of a new black to where a shift would be too jarring, imo

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Would be interesting, but Miles is too much of a new black to where a shift would be too jarring, imo
Bendis fukked over Miles bad there. And lied that he had intentions to see it through with that sublot; couldve turn out to be a significant turning point.

Whereas Miles' animated/mainstream version, just off of the trailer, seems much more believable as a woke kid/toned down Huey. And not just bc he looks more like Huey than comic Miles lol

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps

I disagree man. The only way a mentor and pupil status works between peter and miles is if miles has a different mantle because when you call them both spider-man it implies a level of equal stature. More importantly, the title spider-man is peter’s and will always be the default setting in everyone’s mind and having peter around will always make miles the after thought and I would be interested if miles could carry his own book without the title of spider-man it will force marvel to grow him as a character.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I disagree man. The only way a mentor and pupil status works between peter and miles is if miles has a different mantle because when you call them both spider-man it implies a level of equal stature. More importantly, the title spider-man is peter’s and will always be the default setting in everyone’s mind and having peter around will always make miles the after thought and I would be interested if miles could carry his own book without the title of spider-man it will force marvel to grow him as a character.
I hear ya, but I feel if it's just a matter of the name "Spider-man", then that's not saying the mentor/pupil thing wouldn't work, as we've already seen it in the disney cartoons and previewed in the upcoming movie -to which a good amount of ppl have been very receptive to-... It's just saying there's a problem with them both being called the same name. Which to me is like 'sure but whatever' compared to the other concerns i have.

To be frank, with or without the title of 'spider-man', Marvel will be forced to grow him as a character, esp following his mainstream success. If he has depth in the movie, he's going to appeal to black audiences in a major way, and will be eye-catching enough to everyone else. At which point Marvel either follows-through or they don't give a fukk like they often do with their black/brown characters, and Miles becomes someone like Luke Cage who is much more profitable in ratings/box office tickets than in floppy sales.

Not unlike Kamala who, for all the hoopla, culture, depth, popularity.. and for as big as she will likely be cinematically (imo), has a book that's crashed and burned sales wise to cancellation zone. b/c that's the floppy book industry.