The Official Homeowners Thread

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
If there isn't one already?

Just recently purchased one and just looking for tips and advice. Lived in an apartment my whole life so I know absolutely nothing as far as do's and dont's

Best ive learned is to always maintain a healthy savings because there's always some type of additional expense that pops up.

Edit: somebody beat me to it :cheers:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
If there isn't one already?

Just recently purchased one and just looking for tips and advice. Lived in an apartment my whole life so I know absolutely nothing as far as do's and dont's

first off congrats :salute:

I love seeing black people owning property.

there are a number threads dedicated to this topic, but I love talking about home ownership and mortgages and all that stuff, so this always interest me. I just moved to a new house last month, and I have been a homeowner for 10 years.

did you have questions tho?

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Always make sure some money is set aside for home repairs. Theres ALWAYS something small that needs to be done

This may seem like a silly question, but just wondering is it ok to buy a hpuse and just rent out the property even though you haven't paid off the house. My mans mom is almost done paying of her mortgage and plans to rent it out in 2017. His dad rents out his house,but didnt live there for more than a year.

@beaniemac your advice would be appreciated :hamster:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Been a home owner for 4 years. One of the best decisions I ever made. My advice; Don't let things go for too long. If something needs to be fixed jump on it immediately. Make sure you do your part to make sure your home keeps it's value. If you're going to spend any major amount of money on the house spend it on the kitchen and the bathrooms. This will raise the value of the house and will be like putting money in the bank.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Been a home owner for 4 years. One of the best decisions I ever made. My advice; Don't let things go for too long. If something needs to be fixed jump on it immediately. Make sure you do your part to make sure your home keeps it's value. If you're going to spend any major amount of money on the house spend it on the kitchen and the bathrooms. This will raise the value of the house and will be like putting money in the bank.

I do not own a home, but I believe that the kitchen\bathtoom part is true because of sanitary reasons.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This may seem like a silly question, but just wondering is it ok to buy a hpuse and just rent out the property even though you haven't paid off the house. My mans mom is almost done paying of her mortgage and plans to rent it out in 2017. His dad rents out his house,but didnt live there for more than a year.

@beaniemac your advice would be appreciated :hamster:

you can do that, but most mortgages will ask you if the house is going to be your primary residence. if you tell them you want to use it for rental income, then they will charge you higher interest rates and your homeowners insurance will have to be a landlord policy instead of a standard homeowners policy.

are you planning on getting a house and renting it out, or like a 3 flat and renting out the other units with you living in one of the units?

Dolla$

Minus the bullsh*t...life's great
Daps
first off congrats :salute:

I love seeing black people owning property.

there are a number threads dedicated to this topic, but I love talking about home ownership and mortgages and all that stuff, so this always interest me. I just moved to a new house last month, and I have been a homeowner for 10 years.

did you have questions tho?
How do I easily remove scuffs and marks from from flat paint or do I just need to always have a can of touch up paint on deck?

I read that when you put salt on the ground that it eats up your concrete, how do I prevent that?

Oh and I don't know shyt about caring for grass and bushes