Essential The Official MMA Thread

Change

All Star
Daps
BTW was talking to a very close friend of mine who does personal security for some ufc fighters and is friends with Jones. My friend has been working on some tours doing security so hasn't been around much but he was back in town for xmas, and he told me he talked to Jones after the Gus fight and Jones told em with the most serious fan that he is NEVER giving Gus a rematch. He said that was the hardest fight in his hell an dis still shocked he won. He said he was fighting off pure muscle memory and instinct as he blacked out for parts of the fight. He has told Dana and Lorenzo that he will fight any1 and will even go up in weight class just to avoid fighting Gus.

I don't know if what you're saying is true (it may be) but i've been trying to tell people Jones is wack. Everyone in the UFC/Fighters has known this. There's a reason nobody likes him.

He's already refused a rematch with Machida (which is why he didn't get one). He's told the UFC he won't fight Cormier and has refused to give him a title shot. He also informed the UFC he'll never give Rashad a rematch. Gus has commented on how he didn't like Jones after doing the promo tour with him. Even Shogun (yes Shogun, the guy who likes everyone in the world) couldn't stand Jones after doing the promo work with him.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
if2ItvnwSG5VF.gif

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I don't know if what you're saying is true (it may be) but i've been trying to tell people Jones is wack. Everyone in the UFC/Fighters has known this. There's a reason nobody likes him.

He's already refused a rematch with Machida (which is why he didn't get one). He's told the UFC he won't fight Cormier and has refused to give him a title shot. He also informed the UFC he'll never give Rashad a rematch. Gus has commented on how he didn't like Jones after doing the promo tour with him. Even Shogun (yes Shogun, the guy who likes everyone in the world) couldn't stand Jones after doing the promo work with him.

yeah i know Dana was really hoping Gus won that fight, jus so he wouldn't have to deal with Jones' and his coaches headaches. Its like Jones has that belt held hostage, and UFC has no way of getting it back. he'll duck any fight that he deems is bad matchup for em, and if he does have to fight a tough opponent he'll make sure its on short notice for that guy or find some way to get an edge.

Even worse is that usually can just out wait fighers and they come crawling back to fight on his terms cuz they need the money, but with Jones' brothers pulling in that NFL loot can afford to wait and pick and choose his fights.

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
ufc168_11_weidman_vs_silva_034-jpg.png

w9UC4.gif

Give the kid a break, adrenalines still pumping, he did one lap with his hands up after he won using a technique he explicitly trained months to implement. He did not scream or yell and went to check on Anderson within 10 seconds. He didn't necessarily know Silva's leg was broken and especially not how gruesome it was until he saw the replay like everyone else.

Also it's really just ignorance to discount Weidman's victory being purely due to freak injury. Bottom line is he implemented a technique that ended the fight, Anderson didn't slip on a banana peel, I really don't think people would be saying the same shyt if Silva broke Weidman's leg with a kick

Go watch the replay again, Weidman had his arms up in triumph almost b4 Silva's body hit the ground, he did a victory lap, and then stood there like duh wtf. Then he did the old greg jackson move lets go get some fans and went up to Silva and the coaches.

As far as training for a leg kick, if he had to train months and months just to train on checking a leg kick then he's a dumber fighter than I gave him credit for. Silva has thrown millions of legs kicks and have had them checked millions of times. This was a freak incident, not some well planned out strategic move.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
These cacs everywhere trying to say Anderson was overrated :laff: I guess Weidman is the new Great White Hope.

It's pretty disgusting.

I wouldn't say it's all race-related, a lot of people said some crazy/dumb things when Fedor ('can crusher', 'overrated') and even (recently) when GSP ('scared of Hendricks', 'too many decisions to be considered one of the best', 'beat up smaller and weaker opponents') retired.

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Go watch the replay again, Weidman had his arms up in triumph almost b4 Silva's body hit the ground, he did a victory lap, and then stood there like duh wtf. Then he did the old greg jackson move lets go get some fans and went up to Silva and the coaches.

As far as training for a leg kick, if he had to train months and months just to train on checking a leg kick then he's a dumber fighter than I gave him credit for. Silva has thrown millions of legs kicks and have had them checked millions of times. This was a freak incident, not some well planned out strategic move.

I think maybe you need to re-watch it cause I viewed it right before I commented, you're the one who was talking out your ass saying he was screaming yes and celebrating like a pro wrestler. Silva goes down, Weidman goes in for punches but Herb Dean pushes him aside, he did a lap and was checking on Silva in literally 5 seconds. Then later when he notices Silva's corner not being let in by security he goes on his own accord to get them in. Personally, when I saw Weidman putting his arms up I didn't like it but stop acting like it was some hugely egregious offense.

And no ones saying he was checking leg kicks in the gym 10 hours a day but it was clearly a point of emphasis throughout his camp. It was a thought out strategy to use high leg checks using the knee and upper shin as opposed to typical low checks where impact is on the lower shin. You're not taking "millions" of those at full force, 3-4 max in a fight and you're done.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It's pretty disgusting.

I wouldn't say it's all race-related, a lot of people said some crazy/dumb things when Fedor ('can crusher', 'overrated') and even (recently) when GSP ('scared of Hendricks', 'too many decisions to be considered one of the best', 'beat up smaller and weaker opponents') retired.
the difference is gsp/fedor were scratching their 30s whereas silva is damn near 40.Silva shouldnt have gone on a tier like that at that point of his career and these 2 losses arent exactly indisputable, there were mitigating circumstances.The talk of anderson being overated is not only silly but devalues the ufc simply as

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/...ick-check-break-shin-knee-spike-mma-technique

A check is meant to deter the opponent from kicking. Shin-on-shin contact is never fun, even if your legs are supremely conditioned, so Muay Thai fighters have developed two methods of stopping kicks without causing themselves undue pain or risk of injury, while maximizing pain and risk to the opponent.

The first is what I would term a "soft" or "reflex" check. This is the method most commonly seen in MMA, on those rare instances when someone actually checks a kick. With a soft check, the knee is lifted high, and the opponent's kick impacts the lower part of the shin, just above the ankle. With this type of check, the reflex action of the knee helps to absorb the impact, and both fighters are relatively undamaged.

As a purely defensive technique this is fine, but as I said above, the true purpose of a check is to deter the opponent from kicking. Thus, the ideal check is one which incorporates one of my favorite concepts--that of "aggressive defense."

Enter the "hard" check. This technique is now being referred to as a "knee spike," but I believe that term to be a bit of a misnomer. In reality, the kneecap should make no contact with the shin of the opponent--I can personally attest to the fact that, in a battle between tibia and patella, patella loses. Painfully. Rather, the uppermost part of the shin, the thickest and strongest part of the bone, is the intended zone of contact for a hard check. When the thinner, lower shin of the opponent meets the upper shin of the defender, the result is that the opponent experiences a far greater amount of pain, and stands a chance of injuring their own shin.

As a result, they will either throw fewer and more tentative, softer kicks, or else they will quit throwing them altogether, for fear of suffering the fate that Anderson Silva so memorably suffered on Saturday.

In his op-ed piece, Dave Walsh elaborates on this hard check, saying:

Good Muay Thai fighters will condition their shins, strengthening them so that they are able to throw hard kicks without injuring themselves and to inflict more damage. With that being said, it is still incredibly difficult to condition your shins against an injury such as this. When a fighter checks with their knee (or right below the knee) the attacker’s shin comes into contact with what is essentially an unmovable object. A regular leg kick there is some give as your leg naturally bends at your knee (duh) and it helps to absorb some of the force. When checking a kick higher with a knee the attacker — depending on the angle — is driving their shin into something with zero give to it.

Which sounds like an ideal check to me. But Mr. Walsh goes on, saying that, in Muay Thai circles, this hard check is considered "dirty." Muay Thai instructors, he says, will likely not even bother teaching it to their students, because in fighting you should not do to others what you do not done to you.

Personally, I find that notion absurd. Fighting is doing to others what you don't want done to you. In submission grappling, competitors accept the fact that the opponent will try to grind his forehead into their chins, or drive his shoulder into their jaws, because they intend to do the same to him. In boxing, fighters expect the opponent to try to crack them on the chin, and they make damn sure to try the same thing themselves.

Now, there might be some credence to the idea that, in Thailand, hard checks are considered unsportsmanlike. Thai fighters, most of whom do not get paid well and fight to feed their families, are expected to compete sometimes up to once a week. This already grueling fight schedule would indeed be impossible if shin injuries and deep cuts were occurring in every fight. As a result, many Thai nakmuay have an unspoken rule that no elbows will be thrown, at least until the opponent starts throwing elbows, to reduce the chance of cuts that could prevent either fighter from earning his living. I can accept the fact that fighters might view damaging checks the same way.

But at the highest levels of Muay Thai, where fighters have time to recover between fights, the hard check is an absolute staple. As proof, enjoy this, one of the many fights between Saenchai PKSaenchaimuaythaigym and Singdam Kiatmoo9, whose names are almost as fun as their fights.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
the difference is gsp/fedor were scratching their 30s whereas silva is damn near 40.Silva shouldnt have gone on a tier like that at that point of his career and these 2 losses arent exactly indisputable, there were mitigating circumstances.The talk of anderson being overated is not only silly but devalues the ufc simply as

So? Anderson peaked later..

Stop making excuses for his 2 recent losses, you're being delusional breh. From what we've seen from both fights, there has never been a clear moment where Anderson was winning the fight (or even had some success for that matter). While on the other hand, Weidman was beating him in the first fight, then KO'd him. And then in the second fight, up until the injury, was pretty much dominating Anderson (and almost finished him).

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Vitor has 2 rounds to beat Chris Weidman. Vitor has never KO'd anyone after the 2nd round and most of his losses come from fights that went past the 2nd round. Weidman will probably submit Vitor or tko stop him early.