To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
3/31/15 Update:

Original post:
tumblr_nh05koeECX1s5zf6fo1_500.jpg

Mike Colter to Star as Luke Cage in Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones

Colter joins Krysten Ritter on the Netflix series in 2015!

Colter will star opposite Krysten Ritter, who plays the title role in “Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones.”

“Mike embodies the strength, edge and depth of Luke Cage,” said Executive Producer/Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. “We're excited to have him bring this iconic Marvel character to life.”

"Fans have longed to see Luke Cage and in Mike we’ve found the perfect actor,” said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer/Marvel's Head of Television. "Viewers will get to meet Luke Cage in ‘Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones,’ and experience why he is such an important super hero in the Marvel mythos.”

Colter is currently starring in the XBox original series “Halo: Nightfall” as Jameson Locke. He has appeared in a number of critically-acclaimed television series, including “The Good Wife” and “American Horror Story: Coven.”

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

"Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
The halo show is out? Is it ass?

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Do they got an animated series of somehting about this nikka?

I aint into the whole comic book thing.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

If they go in the way they did in 'Alias' :lupe:

Lowkey - I want to see Steve Buscemi as The Purple Man. A lot of the villains in SHIELD are cool - but they feel like rent-a-goons. I need a truly creepy edge to this dude...

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Why Luke Cage Will Be Different to the Marvel Movies

Mike Colter, Luke Cage himself, tells us more about the series, why he's excited about the character, and how it's different to Marvel's films.

3 MAR 2015 BY DANIEL KRUPA

lukecage1280jpg-1ddd73_160w.jpg

"It's geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe that you've seen before on the big screen," says Mike Colter, the actor charged with bringing Luke Cage to life in the forthcoming Netflix series.

Speaking to IGN about the forthcoming release of Halo: Nightfall on DVD and Blu-ray, Colter spoke in detail about how race doesn't factor into his preparation for Cage, why he's excited about the role, and how Marvel's shows on Netflix will feel connected but distinct from the rest of the established MCU.

"I'm excited about playing the character because I've read the comic books," says Colter. "They're very detailed, gritty; the world they've written in the comic books is very clear. Marvel does a fantastic job about bringing human stories – because you're telling big stories with a heart at the centre of it – and that's what connects all of the characters to our audience members. Audience members have to feel connected with these characters, to make them relate to the character's situations and that's what you see with all of the Marvel characters."

He went on to describe more about how the Netflix show, which has yet to begin shooting, and why he's so eager to play the iconic Marvel character and how the writers are approaching the character: "What I’m most excited about is touching on what makes him tick. It feels good to get a character that has such a story, background, and history. And when I look at the scripts, I’m really pleased with it because it’s a slow-burn; there’s nothing happening really fast that gets ahead of itself. I’m really with where they’re taking it and how they’re developing the characters, because it’s really cool and it’s geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe you’ve seen before on the big screen.

"We have a more gritty, focused story on our heroes and characters that live in New York City, but it’s geared towards a more adult audience and I think that’s the thing about the series that will be different."

This certainly tallies with what we've already seen on Netflix's first Marvel adaptation, Daredevil, which debuts on April 10th.

The character of Luke Cage debuted in the pages of Marvel's comics back in the early 1970s, a time when its books were predominantly filled with white superheroes. Race was an important factor when the character was conceived by Archie Goodwin and John Romita, Sr. While Colter's familiar with the character's origin, race isn't something he's thinking about too much going into playing the character – that's something for the writers to worry about, he says.

"I’m one of those people who is colour blind to a certain degree. And that doesn’t mean I’m not acutely aware of race in our country and abroad and in the world. I know what’s going on and I’m very aware of it.

"If you are a certain race, you know that. It’s not a big thing with me. I’m a black male who’s playing a character who has historically been black. The approach with the character for me is more about the human qualities and the things that make Luke Cage tick. And the writers have to then decide to bring in the race of the character, if there’s an angle there. But I don’t look at it as something I have to prep differently for, because I am what I am and I approach the characters as they have to then be played by me, Mike Colter – the actor who happens to be black. It’s more of an aside, rather than something I take on by the horns. It doesn’t really factor for me at all."

Netflix is currently producing four shows based on Marvel properties: Daredevil, AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron First. All four characters will eventually team up for a miniseries based on The Defenders. What a time to be alive.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/03/netflixs-luke-cage-is-geared-towards-an-adult-audience

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Luke Cage Will Be Superpowered in 'AKA Jessica Jones'

3/8/15 By El Mayimbe

One of my favorite Marvel screenplays of all time was Ben Ramsey's take on Luke Cage. We reviewed it many years ago when John Singleton was attached to direct it.

The current Luke Cage Mike Colter shared a few details on his upcoming portrayal of the character in the upcoming Netflix series AKA Jessica Jones while promoting the upcoming home video release of Halo: Nightfall.

Marvel actually gives you a special training class in how not to say too much in interviews [laughs]. We’re in the middle of shooting AKA Jessica Jones and Luke Cage is a very interesting character who just happens to have super strength and unbreakable skin. He’s a neighborhood hero, very much linked to New York and Jessica Jones. It’s all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but Luke Cage is a darker, grittier, more tangible character than Iron Man or Thor. He likes to keep things close to his chest, operate on the hush-hush. He has these abilities but he’s not sure how and when to use them. He’s a very nuanced character.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/luke-cage-will-be-superpowered-in-aka-jessica-jones