"The Other 8/26 fight" HBO Miguel Cotto vs Yoshihiro Kamegai & Rey Vargas vs Ronny Rios

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
cotto-vs-kamegai-tickets_08-26-17_17_5930894025aa1.jpg

Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions, in association with Teiken Promotions, have chosen StubHub Center to host the WBO World Junior Middleweight Championship fight between Miguel Cotto and Yoshihiro Kamegai on Saturday, Aug. 26 (HBO World Championship Boxing). Timing and ticketing information will be announced at a later date.

Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs), the only four-division world champion in the rich boxing history of Puerto Rico, returns to the ring to take on the always-exciting Yoshihiro "El Maestrito" Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) in a 12-round match for the vacant WBO Junior Middleweight World Championship. Cotto will attempt to secure a sixth world championship in four weight classes as he makes his 23rd appearance on HBO, for his first fight in Southern California.

Kamegai is known as one of the highest-action fighters in the sport having engaged in a fight of the year candidate against Jesus "Renuente" Soto Karass in 2016 and taking champions and contenders including Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, Alfonso Gomez and Johan "El Terrible" Perez into deep water.

Cotto vs. Kamegai, a 12-round fight for the vacant WBO World Junior Middleweight Championship, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions in association with Teiken Promotions and sponsored by Tecate "BORN BOLD".

The undercard

maxresdefault.jpg

StubHub Center in Carson, California will play host to two world championship fights on the evening of Saturday, August 26 when WBC World Super Bantamweight Champion Rey Vargas (29-0, 22 KOs) will take on highly touted contender Ronny Rios (28-1, 13 KOs) in a scheduled 12 round bout. The championship event will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.

Vargas, coming off a majority decision victory over previously undefeated Gavin McDonnell to secure the world championship after racking up scores of wins against top-flight competition, has also signed a multi-year deal with Golden Boy Promotions.

"I am thrilled to defend my world championship for the first time on such a special night at StubHub Center," said Vargas, who went on the road from his native Otumba, Mexico to Yorkshire, England to secure his world title. "I know Ronny Rios is an extremely tough challenger, but he has never tasted power like mine, and I am confident I will come away with the victory."

Rios, a former NABF and WBC Silver Featherweight Champion, gets his first world title shot after rolling through prospects and contenders over a 29-fight career with just a single blemish on his record.

"This is a dream come true for any boxer. Now that it's here, I'm ready to capitalize on the journey me and my coach have been on for several years," said Ronny Rios. "Vargas will provide us with a tough game plan but I've been working my whole life for this opportunity. He has good power and a very good coach with Nacho, but I have a great team as well. I am thankful that GBP has gotten this fight for me - and I expect a tough, tough war from Rey."

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Cotto outboxes him and busts him up, later in the fight corner or ref stops it while Kamegai is on feet or in the corner

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Cotto outboxes him and busts him up, later in the fight corner or ref stops it while Kamegai is on feet or in the corner

kamegai does have the chin, workrate, and power to make things interesting IF cotto is caught lacking and/or he can't hurt kamegai (the scenario i am hoping for :steviej:)..this fight shouldn't have a title on the line but it should go to the person who at least has been active..which is kamegai