The problem with "Model Minorities" is they INTENTIONALLY overlook and overstep.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
We, us black folk, as a people are often harder on ourselves than we are others. Our hypercriticism is often expressed online with gender and diaspora wars. In hindsight, we constantly question whether our ancestors/elders/leaders were right? If they wanted "equal rights just to fukk PAWGS", if they really chose the right religion to follow, if they set us up to fail.

This self doubt comes from living and experiencing life. Living in a society that nurture these doubts through systematic and systemic racism. Whenever we take a break from beating ourselves up we start to challenge the systems set in place. In response the system uses others to minimize our experiences, colonize our conversations and take 6 plates from the cookout knowing good and gotdamn well they ain't contribute a fukking thing to the function. Except nasty ass potato salad

Others have been built up as model minorities to validate the system. They have been taught to play oppression Olympics to deflect. They have gotten extremely comfortable. It's to the point where they try to tell you about you. Like they've walked in your shoes. Nothing wrong with self reflection or studying the opps. But letting them bring they nasty ass potato salad to the cookout just won't do.

Kingofthereal

King of kings
Daps
This is a good viewpoint to have. I notice it all the time. I see a lot of black folks always saying “we” have to do better as if every black person is doing something negative just because they’re black. I honestly think how fukked up things are now, racism could end but we would still be very judgmental towards each other.

I also think the model minority trope is one that’ll always be there to undermine certain struggles black Americans have to endure. I’ve also seen asians try to shyt down the model minority thing. Not a lot of them but some of them know it’s used against black people and want no parts of it.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:whew::whew:We, us black folk, as a people are often harder on ourselves than we are others. Our hypercriticism is often expressed online with gender and diaspora wars. In hindsight, we constantly question whether our ancestors/elders/leaders were right? If they wanted "equal rights just to fukk PAWGS", if they really chose the right religion to follow, if they set us up to fail.

This self doubt comes from living and experiencing life. Living in a society that nurture these doubts through systematic and systemic racism. Whenever we take a break from beating ourselves up we start to challenge the systems set in place. In response the system uses others to minimize our experiences, colonize our conversations and take 6 plates from the cookout knowing good and gotdamn well they ain't contribute a fukking thing to the function. Except nasty ass potato salad

Others have been built up as model minorities to validate the system. They have been taught to play oppression Olympics to deflect. They have gotten extremely comfortable. It's to the point where they try to tell you about you. Like they've walked in your shoes. Nothing wrong with self reflection or studying the opps. But letting them bring they nasty ass potato salad to the cookout just won't do.
Thanks for this post. I've actually been drafted into a Halloween potluck. I've got a lot of potato salad to ignore in a few hours, and you just reminded I'm on drink duty.:whew:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
We, us black folk, as a people are often harder on ourselves than we are others. Our hypercriticism is often expressed online with gender and diaspora wars. In hindsight, we constantly question whether our ancestors/elders/leaders were right? If they wanted "equal rights just to fukk PAWGS", if they really chose the right religion to follow, if they set us up to fail.
Disrespecting yourself by typing this first paragraph.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
You know exactly what I'm talking about. The Civil Rights Movement had nothing to do with "fukking pawgs" or any other silly YTer shyt.
I know, I'm just referencing what I've seen said on here and other platforms.