The reason why the current WWE direction (breaking kayfabe) will ultimately end them as a business

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Learn to read bozo.

This is why I think so many people got hooked: they genuinely believed it was real and were IN and hooked. Then when they realized it wasn't the choice was simple: stop watching (which was not a real option, they were hooked already) or see it like a movie (scripted entertainment).

Sure - for those who watch WWE Network and reality shows and WWE 24 etc. then you'll definitely know it's fake of course and WWE can get away with that yes - but for young kids (the future consumers and buyers of tickets, merchandise and subscriptions) it's still going to be crucial that they think "that was real!!" in my opinion. The status quo now is "people will keep watching". But again: those people are mainly people who got hooked as kids.

I even thought WMAC masters was real haha!

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
I started watching wrestling at 10 in 1997. By that time I knew wrestling wasn't real - it didn't stop Bret/Austin from feeling real though. Because of how it was presented.

Thats all WWE has to do - and maybe use reality to build fiction (like how Savage and Liz's real life relationship dynamic was inserted into otherwise fake storylines) - outright admitting its fake benefits no one. We all know its fake. Storyline wise, its not a progressive story relevation and serves no purpose, its just used to break monotony - which good storylines should be able to do on its own.

Not gonna effect business one way or the other though.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I mean I dont think its going to stop people from watching wrestling from the specific point of view that kids will see it as fake early.
But I do think people will get tired of the whole worked shoot thing when they realize they are still insulting their intelligence with it.

Its getting a bit of forced for me, but again this is something that depending how long you're into wrestling and ifs the first time you're seeing it, maybe you're in awe of it or if you're young it seems "Edgy". You see the audience is talking about it, so I guess its working even though it will wear off soon

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's Vince's fault :yeshrug:. Prior to 1989, everyone over like 14 knew it was fake but the wrestlers and promoters played along with it. Then he tried to get out of paying taxes to Jersey and admitted in public that wrestling was fake.

I actually think that Netflix, Fortnite and Disney+ are bigger obstacles in keeping young fans than killing kayfabe.
And this kind of promotion-audience relationship is what makes Lucha Underground so dope. You got dragons, gods, magic and all sorts of fantasy elements but in the world of LU, it's kayfabe and it's awesome.

Eddie Brock

All Star
Daps
I’m seriously considering not watching this bullshyt anymore. If they break kayabe at all tonight during fastlane I’m dippin