The Red Summer of 1919-The Race War you Never knew about...

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
New London, Connecticut

throughout the months of May and June, white sailors and black sailors stationed at the Navy base in New London kept the tension level high in the town, as fighting erupted on several occasions during their long-standing conflict. Black seamen reported that white sailors attacked them, while white navy men accused the black sailors of lying in wait for them after dark as they made their way across the Long Cove Bridge. At one point, when police arrested two white “Bluejackets,” other white sailors raided the Hotel Bristol, where the black sailors spent their leisure time. The white sailors threw a group of hotel patrons into the street and beat them severely. A fierce battle ensued on Bank Street that the town’s entire police force and fire department could not stop, so the authorities called in the Marines.
This type of altercation happened repeatedly, but was not always reported in the news. Information on one such event is available only because when a Navy truck brought a company of Marines from the base to answer a riot call in New London, the truck ran over a fire hydrant on Smith Street, and Navy officials had to create a paper trail regarding the replacement of the damaged fire hydrant.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Great thread and can't stand how this type of history is not taught in schools. I taught it to my students as it is the culminating event in the nadir period as blacks fought back against multiple race riots and demonstrated vast agency in that summer. Other powerful race riots that need this type of attention are the 1906 Atlanta Race Riot and the 1910 Jack Johnson race riots that occurred all over the nation when he won the championship. The key part of these events is that blacks in every instance fought back and whooped ass of anyone that brought state sponsored and private white terrorist violence to their community. Red Summer indeed...

There is a reason why...the white supremacist school system has a huge gap of black history. Got to condition everyone that it wasn't that bad. When it comes to black people, they teach the civil war and civil rights and nothing before or in between. Yet, we still have c00ns on here that will say we are talking conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
There is a reason why...the white supremacist school system has a huge gap of black history. Got to condition everyone that it wasn't that bad. When it comes to black people, they teach the civil war and civil rights and nothing before or in between. Yet, we still have c00ns on her that will say we are talking conspiracy theories.
surprised spike lee never made a movie about this or Tulsa for that matter

Marvel

Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Do you think our generation could end white supremacy once and for all??

White supremacy is a global system. I can get deeper on it, but that is a whole nother thread. This generation needs to knowledge of self before they can do anything to end white supremacy. In addition, many other groups don't want to the end the white supremacist system. That is why it is important that we spread as much information as possible. A lot of black people will reject it though. Most will not give two shyts until we are in another Red Summer. Those in power do not want that because it would cause us to get our act together QUICKLY.

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
White supremacy is a global system. I can get deeper on it, but that is a whole nother thread. This generation needs to knowledge of self before they can do anything to end white supremacy. In addition, many other groups don't want to the end the white supremacist system. That is why it is important that we spread as much information as possible. A lot of black people will reject it though. Most will not give two shyts until we are in another Red Summer. Those in power do not want that because it would cause us to get our act together QUICKLY.
c00ns might reject it and cacs gonna block us but we gotta keep trying breh the black man needs to rise again

Marvel

Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Sadly....no.
Most of us black people in America are still asleep and looking for acceptance from the same group of people who killed us and denied us opportunities for decades.

Most of the younger generation are asleep and still think that things haven't changed and that racism is somehow "dead" cause "we have a black president" and live in a "post-racial society".

I think it would unfortunately take something like this happening again to truly mobilize black people...

This is exactly what i feel. The best thing to happen to us may have to be the worst thing that has happened to us in a long time. I think that this time, the white society has more c00ns on payroll to make it appear as if its an isolated incident. As much as black people look for white acceptance, whites also don't want us to hate them on full scale. That was why the US government had so many white liberal agents advising civil rights leaders. Malcolm X had no cac advisors at his table and that is what made him more dangerous than MLK...the fact that he hated cacs made him more powerful. In neutrality there is no power but as a polar opposite one can wield real power.

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
130901815_1919-newspapers-race-riot-in-washington-dc-headlines-.jpg
DCRiots2.jpg
d3btlr

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
There is a reason why...the white supremacist school system has a huge gap of black history. Got to condition everyone that it wasn't that bad. When it comes to black people, they teach the civil war and civil rights and nothing before or in between. Yet, we still have c00ns on here that will say we are talking conspiracy theories.
Funny you say that. I've been seeing a lot of stuff online lately where white people are saying slavery wasn't as bad as black people are trying to make it out to be or try to place blame on the Africans that sold the slaves to white men and a bunch of other shyt. It's disgusting

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
This is exactly what i feel. The best thing to happen to us may have to be the worst thing that has happened to us in a long time. I think that this time, the white society has more c00ns on payroll to make it appear as if its an isolated incident. As much as black people look for white acceptance, whites also don't want us to hate them on full scale. That was why the US government had so many white liberal agents advising civil rights leaders. Malcolm X had no cac advisors at his table and that is what made him more dangerous than MLK...the fact that he hated cacs made him more powerful. In neutrality there is no power but as a polar opposite one can wield real power.

Last edited: