[The Ringer] The 15 biggest challenges facing Adam Silver in his next 10 years

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Dunno. When you look at the NFL they're very protective of their brand and it results in less bullshyt like that. You actually see segments about football, schemes, details, etc. Is that partially because we're a football addicted nation and you can get away with analyzing a 4-3 defense on television in ways that you couldn't get away with for basketball? Sure. But I don't see ESPN crucifying or attempting to harm NFL QBs the way they do with NBA superstars. There's a clear animosity and resentment being tapped into and lets be frank: a lot of that has to do with race. NFL is gonna protect the shield and its brand whereas the NBA will do nothing. We're at a point where Luka and Tatum, likely the next faces of the league, are already facing ridiculous attacks and criticism as the media tries the LeBron gameplan on them. How long can guys be called losers or have their heart questioned before Silver does something?
It's shameful what the NBA has allowed, mainly from ESPN. The NFL doesn't let ESPN pull that shyt with their league.

Also, NBA TV is dogshyt compared to MLB TV and NFL Network. Up the production values for godsakes and create a couple important, daily shows. The nightly highlight package shows should also be like MLB/NHL Network.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's shameful what the NBA has allowed, mainly from ESPN. The NFL doesn't let ESPN pull that shyt with their league.

Also, NBA TV is dogshyt compared to MLB TV and NFL Network. Up the production values for godsakes and create a couple important, daily shows. The nightly highlight package shows should also be like MLB/NHL Network.

TNT is an issue too, which might be a more sensitive topic given how popular their coverage is. But truth be told it's clear Shaq, Chuck etc don't give a shyt about modern basketball, don't put any effort into this, and are just getting by on chemistry amongst themselves. You listen to those guys talk about games and they resent it. I just don't see how or why anyone would want their product to be handled like that, by people who don't give a fukk.

Another thing is the lack of rivalries. NBA might be the only major sport in America where nobody cares about rivalries. I remember when the Pistons v Pacers was must-see television because there would be fukkery. Or Lakers v San Antonio when Kobe/Shaq/Duncan/Ginobili were playing. Knicks v Heat. Now all that shyt is dead. Even Lakers v Celtics is whatever because so many fans are just fans of players moreso than teams/organizations. Sure there are diehard team fans still out there who probably carry on rivalries but overall it seems like the focus is more on stanning individual players.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
TNT is an issue too, which might be a more sensitive topic given how popular their coverage is. But truth be told it's clear Shaq, Chuck etc don't give a shyt about modern basketball, don't put any effort into this, and are just getting by on chemistry amongst themselves. You listen to those guys talk about games and they resent it. I just don't see how or why anyone would want their product to be handled like that, by people who don't give a fukk.

Another thing is the lack of rivalries. NBA might be the only major sport in America where nobody cares about rivalries. I remember when the Pistons v Pacers was must-see television because there would be fukkery. Or Lakers v San Antonio when Kobe/Shaq/Duncan/Ginobili were playing. Knicks v Heat. Now all that shyt is dead. Even Lakers v Celtics is whatever because so many fans are just fans of players moreso than teams/organizations. Sure there are diehard team fans still out there who probably carry on rivalries but overall it seems like the focus is more on stanning individual players.
This is true. These are the main faces of the NBA broadcast and they regularly shyt on NBA.

NFL has the occasional legend criticizing the game like Brady saying the quality of play these days isn't as good as it should be but aside from that NFL and NFL players keep it on code.

You're correct about rivalries too and it's a big reason I'm no longer invested. Lakers vs Celtics was the other night and AD and Bron sat out. That's like Judge sitting out a game versus the Red Sox. As a Rockets fan, when I was a child, I HATED the Utah Jazz. I HATED Charles Barkley (until he joined the rockets). Rivalry was fierce. NFL completely dominated NBA in terms of storytelling and keeping rivalries intact.

An NFL player would rather be an NBA player if they had a choice. Most NFL guys are failed basketball players. 50 million people watch a football game and all them nikkax is liable to be asked to restructure their deal. Congrats to Jerry Jones & em tho :russ:
You have to back this one up with evidence (the claim NFL players would prefer NBA or are failed basketball players)

Daps
This is true. These are the main faces of the NBA broadcast and they regularly shyt on NBA.

NFL has the occasional legend criticizing the game like Brady saying the quality of play these days isn't as good as it should be but aside from that NFL and NFL players keep it on code.

You're correct about rivalries too and it's a big reason I'm no longer invested. Lakers vs Celtics was the other night and AD and Bron sat out. That's like Judge sitting out a game versus the Red Sox. As a Rockets fan, when I was a child, I HATED the Utah Jazz. I HATED Charles Barkley (until he joined the rockets). Rivalry was fierce. NFL completely dominated NBA in terms of storytelling and keeping rivalries intact.

You have to back this one up with evidence (the claim NFL players would prefer NBA or are failed basketball players)

Would you sign up for a job that paid less but was more taxing on your body? Lmao

Use your brain

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
Antonio Gates, Julius Peppers, Randy Moss and plenty more I’m not aware of. The question is…how were YOU not aware?
NFL players are waaay more athletic than NBA players on avg

NBA is more skilled .. always funny they say sum 6'6 NBA player could play in NFL lol

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Antonio Gates, Julius Peppers, Randy Moss and plenty more I’m not aware of. The question is…how were YOU not aware?
Some of them. Sure. But you wrote it as if it's a general trend or a rule. There's plenty of baseball players that wanted to play pro football but couldn't due to injury or some other circumstance. Moreover, baseball is one of the toughest sports to succeed in. Jordan couldn't make it but there's plenty of cross over between MLB and NFL players like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. The claim that NFL players are failed basketball players is chuckle worthy. Your argument is paper thin.:mjlol:

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Players making more money than ever...
Teams worth more than ever...
Nba signing record setting media deals...
But the league has "challenges"
Even the lowly spurs are raking in dough cause they got a 7 "5" meta human shamgodding other 7 footers but the league "has challenges" :mjlol:

There are no "future problems".

Same crackers who told you "the double apron will ruin basketball and no teams will be able to trade players and all these non superstar players won't get paid" are the same crackers telling you "if the lead doesn't fix this thing that isn't broken they going to be in trouble in x years".
There's absolutely future problems. None of this guarantees future growth or prevention of backsliding.

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jaylen brown makes more $ than Patrick mahomes he dlaint even allpro

Jaylen Brown isn’t a “star”, he’s just paid like one. Besides Celtics fans, nobody knows or gives a fukk about him like they do the other stars of the league. That’s the main problem with the NBA at the moment. So many unworthy players are getting $200 & $300 Million dollar contracts, and people reactions are to either shake their head in amazement or complain that nobodys like Brown are getting that kind of bread.

Good for them for getting that money, but with that money comes animosity from fans, harsher criticism and low tolerance for player complaints (like this ridiculous dialogue over the 65 game for player awards). No one cares about or wants to hear players complaints, especially when they make enough money to truly not care about that stuff.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Jaylen Brown isn’t a “star”, he’s just paid like one. Besides Celtics fans, nobody knows or gives a fukk about him like they do the other stars of the league. That’s the main problem with the NBA at the moment. So many unworthy players are getting $200 & $300 Million dollar contracts, and people reactions are to either shake their head in amazement or complain that nobodys like Brown are getting that kind of bread.

Good for them for getting that money, but with that money comes animosity from fans, harsher criticism and low tolerance for player complaints (like this ridiculous dialogue over the 65 game for player awards). No one cares about or wants to hear players complaints, especially when they make enough money to truly not care about that stuff.
NBA is a bytch made league. Look at them complain at the league having the audacity to institute quality control for choosing MVP selections. A sport full of bytches. A big reason I don't really watch NBA anymore is that it's full of limp wristed fakkits. Soft sport for divas and fakkits and people that like them - always comparing players in a so-called team sport. I abhor what the GOAT discussions has done to the game of basketball. Have literal DBZ fan comparing players as if they have power levels while no one has respect for the history or the game, While other sports have dikk measuring contests and comparing stats and talking about whose the best, it seems that's the ONLY thing basketball fans ever seem to talk about. Just people stanning their favorite player whose dikk they wanna suck (pause). In football everyone agrees Brady is the GOAT QB. There is no debate. But everyone respects Manning brothers, Montana, Elway, Romo, Staubach, Moon. Mahomes is inching towards Brady's crown and people don't have a problem with Mahomes being named top 3 QB. While there's a "debate", ultimately you can tell people love and respect the game of football and its history. You don't see football fans saying legends played against janitors the way NBA fans do here on the Coli. It feels as if basketball fans love stars and not the game of basketball. This attitude extends to the current crop of players and the way they treat the sport.

Women's college hoops is better and NBA players should be ashamed. The entirety of the NBA is embarrassing: from the players, to the discussion made by fans, to the league rules, referee scandal. I watched every Rockets game we could possibly watch as a kid with my father, went to basketball camps in the summer, and it saddens me what the game of my youth has become.

Thank God football, baseball, and hockey exist.

Last edited: