The Rings Official: What ya listening to/Random hip hop thoughts thread

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Feeling like I need to give the new Dre more listens. Each time I spin it, I appreciate it more and more.

It hasn't taken over my listening like when 2001 came out, but this shyt is still :obama:.
Sounds great on a nice system or good headphones.

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
Feeling like I need to give the new Dre more listens. Each time I spin it, I appreciate it more and more.

It hasn't taken over my listening like when 2001 came out, but this shyt is still :obama:.
Sounds great on a nice system or good headphones.

I've had this on constant rotation since it dropped, especially:

:wow: :blessed:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Is that new Dre/Dre crew a good album?

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Is that new Dre/Dre crew a good album?

IMO a lot of the negativity towards it is because it doesn't sound like typical Dre and the fact the album doesn't have songs that just pop out as hit singles.
Dre alluded to the fact that he scrapped Detox because it sounded like an evolved version of 2001 and he didn't want to do that. His albums have been about creating new sounds and trying to sound ahead of its time, so that sound actually would have been a step back. The production sounds modern and different than anything he has done.

2001 (and The Chronic) were basically albums you could pick any song, turn it into a single, and it would dominate the charts. This album isn't like that at all. Nothing really feels like strong single material (maybe Satisfiction). The songs have a closer listen nature to them both lyrically and production wise. Dre really created an album that gains benefit from listening from beginning to end. :leon:

The other complaint is Dre's flow is different. He flows faster and not his typical laid back style. However, he supposedly wrote a significant portion of the album, so it may be is biggest writing credits he has ever done.

Those are necessarily negatives, just where I think people got surprised on their first listen.

The production is pretty flames on here. The DJ Premier "Animals" cut :whew:. Kendrick has a lot of stans/haters (any discussions about him at the Booth basically turn into Floyd/Manny), but dude on this album is leagues above his competition. If TPAB hadn't made believers about what Kendrick can do, this should. Breh is on an album filled with great guest appearances (Snoop and Game kill it) and Kendrick drops some verses that make you go :mjcry: in appreciation.

The other thing I noticed was when he first put in on Apple for stream I listened through my laptop out loud and it sounded, ehhh. I listened a second time on my headphones and then when I got the CD put it on my home stereo with subs and was like :blessed:. Sonically the album really benefited with something that could show off and translate all the production effects Dre did.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Straight outta compton was fire btw. One of the best movies I ever seen.

Ice cube son looked like a Mexican though :dead:

edit: I didnt get a tag? :dahell: