bnew

Veteran
Daps

The TikTok exodus: how an Albanian town was emptied​

Bling-filled videos of life in Britain have spurred thousands of Albanians to leave. But some posts have an ulterior motive​

1843_20230824_ALBANIA_HEADER_NEW.jpg

Aug 24th 2023
By Isobel Cockerell
This piece was produced in partnership with Coda Story

In a small city in north-eastern Albania, 32-year-old Besmir Billa is fighting an invisible enemy. Billa has lived in Kukes – one of the poorest places in Europe – for his entire life. As a young man he resisted the urge to find work elsewhere because he wanted to stay close to his family. He always hoped his nephews, who are like sons to him, would make the same choice. He tries to educate them about their culture, pointing out the majesty of the surrounding mountains and teaching them how to play the çifteli, a traditional Albanian stringed instrument. But Billa senses he’s losing them.

The forces pitted against him are more opaque and capricious than the international labour market: TikTok’s algorithms. His nephews are hooked on the social-media app, which serves up a stream of videos to Albanians urging them to move to Britain and get rich. These clips are “ruining society”, Billa said when I met him earlier this year. “It’s not real life, it’s an illusion. To get likes and attention.”

At one school teenage girls told me that there was no one to take them to the prom because their classmates were all in Britain. “It’s like the boys have gone extinct”

To see what he was talking about I typed Angli – Albanian for “England” – into TikTok’s search bar. One of the first results was a clip offering to take people into Britain illegally (a berth on a small boat from Calais to Dover costs about £3,000/$3,816). Further down I found a video of people in puffer jackets crossing the blue-green water of the English Channel in the morning mist and snow, overlaid with the lyrics of Vinz, an Albanian gangster rapper. All the videos were exhorting Albanians to come to London. (TikTok representatives said the company permanently bans accounts that promote trafficking, and has hired Albanian-speaking moderators to find them. They wouldn’t say how many moderators they had. When I flagged these smuggling videos they were removed, only for new ones to emerge shortly afterwards.)

Emigration from Albania is nothing new. The communist dictatorship that seized power towards the end of the second world war forbade people from leaving. When it collapsed in the early 1990s many Albanians seized the chance to escape: since then, around a third of the population has left.

One factor driving people to seek better-paying jobs abroad has been the cost of health care. In theory the state provides this, but hospitals are short of cash and constantly losing staff to other countries. Many Albanians find they have to pay for treatment, and a brief hospital stay can ruin a poor family.

1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_02.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_01.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_05.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_03.jpg
Opening image Elvira Molla at her home in the Kukes region of Albania. From top to bottom Besmir Billa, a resident of Kukes, plays his çifteli, an Albanian instrument. The region has experienced a wave of emigration. It is especially common for young men to leave. The area’s Soviet-style architecture is interspersed with mosques
But last year the steady stream of migration to Britain turned into a spike. Legally, Albanians can enter Britain through official entry points on a visitor visa, but they have to go through an onerous application process which includes demonstrating that they have “sufficient funds” to support themselves during their stay. Many have come to believe the only realistic way to make it to Britain – and, crucially, to escape into its informal economy undetected – is by paying smugglers. And in 2022 the smugglers were very, very active. More of the people arriving on Britain’s shores in small boats were from Albania that year than any other country (Taliban-run Afghanistan was a distant second). During the summer period alone around 12,000 Albanians made the dangerous sea crossing.

The Albanians’ share of small-boat arrivals has since gone down, although it remains one of the highest. It is possible that they have switched back to older methods, such as hiding in lorries, now that channel crossings are under so much scrutiny. But their longing to be in Britain remains high, and it seems to be at least partly stoked by TikTok posts.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
In Kukes the absences are palpable. Bars are mostly empty. At one school teenage girls told me that there was no one to take them to the prom because their classmates were all in Britain. “It’s like the boys have gone extinct,” said a young woman in a nearby village. There are hardly any mechanics left in town, Billa said – you have to fix everything yourself.

Smugglers used to charge £18,000 to take Albanians across the channel. In June 2022 people noticed anonymous ads popping up in their TikTok feeds, which offered to ferry people on a small boat for as little as £4,000

Those who remain watch their friends’ lives in London play out on their phones. Influencers who have made the crossing post videos on TikTok of themselves driving past Big Ben in expensive cars. Albania was the most economically isolated of the old eastern-bloc economies. Western clothing brands weren’t available, and ordinary citizens were not even allowed to own cars, which may explain their outsized status in Albanian culture today. In the video for Vinz’s ode to gang life, “My Shqipez” (“My Albanians”), the camera lingers lovingly on the badges of the crew’s cars – Rolls-Royce, Mercedes, McLaren – in between shots of London council estates and the Millennium Dome.

One of Kukes’s biggest social-media stars is a man called Aleks Vishaj. It’s not clear when Vishaj first came to Britain, but he was reported to have been deported in 2021. He managed, somehow, to re-enter the country and now posts videos of himself to his 35,000 followers, driving around the world in his black Ferrari, drinking in nightclubs and hanging out in luxury hotels. This spring he drove it through the streets of Kukes. Billa’s nephews, who are seven and 11, were keen to meet him and get a selfie, like every other kid in town. Neither has spoken explicitly about moving to Britain, but Billa is afraid it is coming.

“They show me how they want a really expensive car, or tell me they want to be social-media influencers. It’s really hard for me to know what to say to them,” he said. Billa drives a battered Ford Focus that is more than 20 years old. He worries the example he sets can’t compete with the one promoted by videos on social media. But, he noted, “they don’t tell the darker story.”

Everyone in Kukes remembers when the switch happened. Smugglers used to charge £18,000 to take Albanians across the channel in lorries and private cars. In June 2022 people noticed anonymous ads popping up in their TikTok feeds, which offered to ferry people on a small boat for as little as £4,000.

1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_15.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_06.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_08_ALT.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_07_ALTjpg.jpg
From top to bottom A young woman puts on roller skates. The Kukes region is one of the poorest in Europe. Adelie Molla looks at a photo of her brother, who is in London, on Instagram. A pair of women sit at home in Kukes
Some experts attribute the lower prices to a shift in Britain’s cannabis production. The drug is grown under lamps in abandoned houses and offices across the country. Before the pandemic Vietnamese gangs controlled much of the business, but by 2020 the Albanian mafia moved in. Demand was surging, and the Albanians needed more labourers to water and treat the plants. TikTok became a recruitment tool. Videos urged people to make the crossing before it was too late, creating a sense of urgency by referring to increasingly harsh immigration policies. There were even “Black Friday” deals on boat trips.

Cannabis-farm labourers are offered £600-800 a month, though many end up working for nothing because the same gangs are thought to control both cannabis production and the smuggling routes, and migrants are told they owe these groups money for bringing them to Britain. Conditions on the farms are grim. Workers are sometimes locked in derelict buildings with boarded-up windows for months on end. When a fire tore through a cannabis-production facility near Birmingham in 2020, a 43-year-old Albanian died because he couldn’t open the door. Gangs tell the labourers that they will harm their family in Albania if they try to escape.

This version of life in Britain tends not to make it on to social media. Campaigners against human trafficking suspect that gang leaders order cannabis-farm labourers to post positive stories about life in Britain. Some, however, do it voluntarily, because they want to show people back home that they’ve succeeded. In Kukes I met a 19-year-old girl whose friend is working on a British cannabis farm. In private messages he tells her how difficult his life is, but on TikTok he posts the standard aspirational content: piles of British banknotes, London landmarks and fast cars.

It’s as if a parallel world exists alongside day-to-day life in north-eastern Albania. “My heart, my mind is in England,” said Albiona Thaci

The British government says that its new immigration act will help put an end to cross-channel smuggling. The law, which has been condemned by the UN, gives the government the power to deport anyone who arrives illegally – even if they are victims of trafficking or modern slavery. Britain has also worked directly with Albania to speed up returns of its nationals. How much these measures actually deter people remains to be seen.

TikTok has responded to the surge in Albanian people-smugglers advertising on its site, introducing an automated tool that scans new posts for relevant terms and then refers those it finds to moderators. But gangs seem to populate the site with ads faster than TikTok can remove them. Some are written with what look like deliberate typos, presumably aimed at evading TikTok’s controls. In recent weeks there have been fewer ads for small boat passages and more for places in trucks. The gangs have also found a new product to push: speedboat crossings from Belgium to Kent, costing about £10,000.

Kukes’s low-rise concrete apartment blocks, punctuated with the odd minaret, are clustered on the edge of a piercing-blue lake. Beneath its placid surface lies the old city of Kukes, which was submerged when the lake was created in 1978 to power a hydro-electric dam. In the past few years the area’s Soviet-style architecture has been interspersed with brand-new houses, many of them unoccupied. Residents say they are built by people who live abroad and want to flaunt their new prosperity at home. For some at least, moving pays.

1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_13.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_12.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_11.jpg
1843_20230824_ALBANIA_TIKTOK_16.jpg
From top to bottom Rifat Demalija, one of the founders of the Centre for Youth Progress, a non-profit which supports young people in the region. A group of women in Kukes watch a video of their relatives dancing at a wedding in London. Kukes was constructed in 1978, after the original city was submerged by an artificial lake
Signs of the region’s connections with Britain are everywhere. One town boasts a replica red telephone box outside its British-themed bar. It’s as if a parallel world exists alongside day-to-day life in north-eastern Albania. “My heart, my mind is in England,” said Albiona Thaci, a 33-year-old woman whose husband was smuggled to Britain a few months previously in a small boat. She remembers a terrible few days during his crossing when she couldn’t reach him: his phone had fallen into the sea.

All the men in her apartment block have gone. Their wives and girlfriends have turned the building into a kind of communal space, drifting in and out of each other’s homes without knocking. Thaci hopes that she and her daughters will be able to settle in Britain legally. It is very hard for Albanians to win the right to settle and work in Britain – but they can get visas allowing them to stay there for up to 180 days at a time (the government granted two-thirds of the 30,000-odd applications it received for them last year). People I spoke to said they were intimidated by the visitor visa process. In Kukes, I met an “agent” offering to help people navigate it for a mere £25,000, which he said could be paid back – with interest – once people had got to Britain.

“After five years, no one will be here at all anymore. They’ll all be in London”

In a village a little farther up the mountain from Kukes, I visited a house where six women lived together in two adjacent buildings. When I stopped by, five of them were transfixed by a YouTube video that showed dozens of men from the village performing a traditional Albanian dance at a wedding in London. I met the sixth member of the group, Adelie Molla, 22, by the well near the village mosque where she was collecting water. She smiled at her housemates’ enthusiasm for “the dance of the men”. “This village is emptying out,” she said. “There are just old people here. Maybe after five years, no one will be here at all anymore. They’ll all be in London.”

This year Besmir Billa tried something new to try to keep his nephews in Kukes: he set up a TikTok account of his own. His feed captures the region’s natural beauty: clips of his friends walking through velvety-green mountains, picking flowers and stroking wild horses. “The idea I had is to express something valuable. Not something silly. I think this is something people actually need,” said Billa.

In March Albania had its national spring festival, where people take a day off to party in the streets. Billa posted a video on his TikTok account showing young people in Kukes handing flowers to old people. At first, his nephews were “not impressed”. But then the older boy clocked the viewing numbers on the spring festival video. Forty thousand and counting. For now, Billa has his nephews’ attention.■

Isobel Cockerell is a senior reporter at Coda Story

Additional reporting by Camilla Bell-Davies

PHOTOGRAPHS : LOUIZA VRADI