The Time DJ Funk Master Flex Got Extorted

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Flex was probably still in the BX at the time and easy to line up. Most people just paid him to spin the record and chalked it up as a cost of doing business.

The goon shyt works in the short run, but it's not a smart way to maneuver in the industry. The wolves should be on standby if somebody is trying to do you dirty, but they should be the last resort.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Flex was probably still in the BX at the time and easy to line up. Most people just paid him to spin the record and chalked it up as a cost of doing business.

The goon shyt works in the short run, but it's not a smart way to maneuver in the industry. The wolves should be on standby if somebody is trying to do you dirty, but they should be the last resort.
Yeh that was years ago and also flex knew those guys so it would have been tough for him not to comply. I'm sure Flex probably received lots thousands of payola under the table money throughout the years.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeh that was years ago and also flex knew those guys so it would have been tough for him not to comply. I'm sure Flex probably received lots thousands of payola under the table money throughout the years.
Around the time before the Fugees blew up, Flex had so much pull....he forced them to have the record label release the single or remix produced by his man, Salaam Remi.
If they didn't, he wouldn't spin them on hot97.

The beef he has with Treach is partly because of the Tupac slander, but also because Naughty doesn't play payola games. They tour and eat regardless of radio spins for new material, so they didn't pay for play.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Around the time before the Fugees blew up, Flex had so much pull....he forced them to have the record label release the single or remix produced by his man, Salaam Remi.
If they didn't, he wouldn't spin them on hot97.

The beef he has with Treach is partly because of the Tupac slander, but also because Naughty doesn't play payola games. They tour and eat regardless of radio spins for new material, so they didn't pay for play.
:ohhh: good info

kingjones29

All Star
Daps
Old dusty dude talking about illegal activity that happen in the 90s it’s time for people to grow up

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Old dusty dude talking about illegal activity that happen in the 90s it’s time for people to grow up

:dwillhuh: he was asked a question about the situation and he simply responded with an answer

It's not like he was bragging or gloating about it he was just explaining how shyt went down

And real talk me being an 'old dusty dude" myself who worked in radio during the early 90s this was a common practice in the hip hop game back then...when all options have been exhausted
:manny:

So Personally I APPRECIATE HIM SPEAKING UPON THIS

because it debunks the myth that the old school Boom bap age and golden era of hip hop was all one GREAT KUMBAYA CULTURE OF LOVE PEACE AND HAPPINESS

I remember one fateful night having to fill in for my boss who was the nightime mixshow dj as well as PD for our AM radio station at the time around 91'

He showed up about a hour late with his face swollen and a black eye..

I'm Iikw wtf happen to you :picard:

His response...

"I don't wanna talk about it ...just cue my records up!"
:comeon:

I'm like OKAY :hubie:

Come to find out from the engineer that the deejay had some "visitors" show up to his apartment to "discipline" him for not showing them love on the air (playing thier records)....after they been giving this dude money and girls and the red carpet treatment even though he was an out of Towner (he was from up top) basically finessing what he ASSUMED were a bunch of slow country bumpkin dudes

Come to find out he had a track record of doing this
:snoop:

Failing to realize thier are real street dudes everwhere

Now I didn't agree with the way it went down

But I UNDERSTAND

Because I eventually went to work with these same type of individuals (street teams..Indy record promoters)

thier is consequences and reprucussions for your actions in life
:francis:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn't be surprised if it adds up to millions. Even a thousand dollars a thousand times just DJing in clubs let alone HOT 97 brown paper bag payola.

Frida Giezman

Banned
Daps
:dwillhuh: he was asked a question about the situation and he simply responded with an answer

It's not like he was bragging or gloating about it he was just explaining how shyt went down

And real talk me being an 'old dusty dude" myself who worked in radio during the early 90s this was a common practice in the hip hop game back then...when all options have been exhausted

So Personally I APPRECIATE HIM SPEAKING UPON THIS

because it debunks the myth that the old school Boom bap age and golden era of hip hop was all one GREAT KUMBAYA CULTURE OF LOVE PEACE AND HAPPINESS

I remember one fateful night having to fill in for my boss who was the nightime mixshow dj as well as PD for our AM radio station at the time around 91'

He showed up about a hour late with his face swollen and a black eye..

I'm Iikw wtf happen to you :picard:

His response...

"I don't wanna talk about it ...just cue my records up!"
:comeon:

I'm like OKAY :hubie:

Come to find out from the engineer that the deejay had some "visitors" show up to his apartment to "discipline" him for not showing them love on the air (playing thier records)....after they been giving this dude money and girls and the red carpet treatment even though he was an out of Towner (he was from up top) basically finessing what he ASSUMED were a bunch of slow country bumpkin dudes

Come to find out he had a track record of doing this
:snoop:

Failing to realize thier are real street dudes everwhere

Now I didn't agree with the way it went down

But I UNDERSTAND

Because I eventually went to work with these same type of individuals (street teams..Indy record promoters)

thier is consequences and reprucussions for your actions in life
:francis:

lol ur not this naive

truth2you

All Star
Daps
We like to talk about this stuff, but in reality its shyt like this that fukked up the music, its not just rap its all genres. We celebrate these people, but they fukk up everything good from the nightclubs to the music, to even getting knowledge. We love to say its white old men, which is true, but its also these type of guys.

What's crazy is they get old, and start talking about we need to do better?:comeon:

This nikkas Hassan Campbell constantly talks about how black people need to fix ourselves, then talks about how he is a real hitter. I see the same shyt with all these old gangstas. They want to be Malcolm X now that the young boys took their place, but turn around and say the young boys aint real killas. These nikkas get no respect because they don't know who they want to be. People just smile in their face, but you know they get no respect because no one actually does what they say:mjlol:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
I wouldn't be surprised if it adds up to millions. Even a thousand dollars a thousand times just DJing in clubs let alone HOT 97 brown paper bag payola.

it really was millions that's why the Attoney General from New York got involved.....

Emmis Broadcasting the parent company of HOT 97 was the main target of the investigation and Dj Enuff and and numerous other Big Dawg Pitbull deejays (Funk Flex deejay coalition) was namedropped in that paperwork

the latest crack downs earlier this week on payola lead by NY attorney general Elliott Spitzer, a lot of industry folks are likely to lay low and find other ways in which to get pay for play. Look for a lot of movement in the areas of satellite and Internet radio as major stations will began to make major investments in those entities and try and sow things up. In those arenas payola is not illegal.

The other thing to watch for is to see if the FCC which is now officially calling for an payola investigations or attorney generals like Spitzer will start going after folks on tax evasion charges

Payola: The Dirty Industry Practice-That's Ruining Hip Hop | Hip-Hop and Politics

It was also discovered that FRANCHISE RECORD POOL another company owned by Flex was just a "front" for payola and alledged money laundering purposes

this shyt has been going on for awhile......

Krs One put FLEX and Tim Westwood another Big Dawg Pitbull associate on blast for running these "payola schemes"

and Nas exposed Flex as well when he went on his infamous Power 105 rant during Steph Lova's show ....and Flex byatch azz not man enough to confront Nas...

put hands on STEPH LOVA and she sued HIM.....and Big dawg pitbulls and the franchise record pool along with Tracy Cloherty his boss at the time at HOT 97 for initiating this attack

Saunders v Taylor

and negroes have the nerve to say Suge Knight and the Bloods corrupted the industry :mjlol:

the RAP GAME been a cess pool of criminal activitiy since it's inception

Last edited: