The under the radar comeback of Dom Kennedy and where he goes from here...

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
this is what self isolation boredom does to you.

Dom Kennedy was never the strongest lyricist, but had a Jeezy-esque knack of "just saying shyt" sound good.
He had instagram and tweet worthy bars and he had a nice little bounce, bop in his delivery.

Then he fell off. To pinpoint when it was...2015.

I don't know if anything was going on with him in 2015 personally and it's none of our business but he had a terrible year music wise. By Dom Kennedy was trash and Best After Bobby 2 was an abomination. I’ve never seen people clown a rapper in real time after releasing something like that the way Dom got slaughter after releasing Best After Bobby 2. It was abysmal. His flow, charisma had completely gone so did his ability to give game and his caption worthy bars. Dom's delivery sounded he like could barely string words together.

(only songs I go back to from that album and one of them was out a good year before it came out)

Los Angeles Is Not For Sale, Vol.1 was next.

It was met to a mixed reception. I loved the artwork but I, myself wasn’t happy with it. I can now say years later, I go back to this album quite a bit.
Production was strong but problems with his flow and bars still persisted, but on some songs it actually worked.

After that people seemed to have gave up on Dom all together.
He went away and formed a duo wit Hit-Boy called Hal-A-Mil.

Their EP’s dropped but it wasn’t til the album came out til I paid attention. Dom was back to spitting some game. Sounded like he actually enjoyed himself again. His best performance as a rapper in a minute. Maybe it was because he had a more limited time to get his shyt across since he was sharing mic duties with Hit-Boy but it was a lowkey step in the right direction.

(might have been the first time I heard Larry June too)

Addicted To The Underground was another step in the right direction. this time on the solo tip.
a lot of soul sample beats and it's like he was trying to get back in shape rapping. it's a smooth listen.

I was overly critical when it came out but listening to it yesterday and again this morning. I enjoy it.

Vol.2 (aka Los Angeles Is Not For Sale, Vol.2) his latest solo effort.

the comeback album to me.

I fukks with this album heavy. his most consistent release start to finish since Get Home Safely.
there was a good balance to the album. production was good and he was talking that talk.

you can hear growth in him.

only songs I don't fukk with are Brenda's Baby and Rollerblades.

last year he worked on Young Nation Vol.2 and executive produced Game's Born 2 Rap album.

YN2
was a decent compilation. I don't listen to Game so I haven't listened to the album but feedback seemed to be positive and Game, all embarrassments and cringeworthy things he does aside, can pick good beats and people like his albums. So for him to trust Dom to oversee his album was a good thing for him going forward with other artists.

Overall he hasn’t dropped anything thats touching that original run but its been steadily getting better again the the past few years and with what I got from Vol.2 and YN2 honestly, thats all I was asking for.

Now that we have Larry June being extremely consistent and occupying that space old Dom had and there's no real expectations for him anymore ("Dom Kennedy weather" used to be a thing) I'm interested to hear where he goes next. He's came across great in the year since Nipsey was murdered and in the way talks etc I'm hoping that rubs off in the music.

didn't even realize I threw this up quick on. the anniversary of FTWWL
the tape that started him to get some recognition.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
He just doesn't really have that same bounce in the flow that he used to have. It almost felt like he was learning how to rap again or he was trying an entirely different approach.

shyt like this is why I fukk with Dom. He effortlessly blends verses and hooks together. Never said overly complicated shyt, always had sharp but easy laid-back delivery, and never tried to bounce around the pocket too much. Once he found a dope cadence he stuck to it and created bangers.

El Jefe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carter was plugged into the scene by Dom

They felt out some years Baaks I believe he ran the fade , wit someone In doms camp

( the kid who made those Phr3sh Cru ,Chronic leaf trees) who was always doms man

After that happened / dom and anyone he was connected wit made daaamn sure to blackball him out here

He never had much of a movement out in Texas or HTown ,where he was orig from

He was a transplant fo a minute in La ..so all those looks he was gettin was connected from dom ,arch davis , chase infinite , brocky all those guys looked out

But that group was sure to stick together once the fall.out happened and they made it near impossible fo breeh to survive or do anythin from that point out

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
For as bad as he fell off, I can't not listen to any new Dom. I feel obligated to give it a shot. I fukks with Jay305 too theaux. And where da hell is Polyester The Saint??? He hasn't released anything in a minute.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I really enjoyed addicted to the underground

very dope slept on project from Dom

production is A1

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
can add the second Half A Mil album (it's great) and Rap N Roll (it's good) to the bounce back run.

tumblr_nqf9e7WjKQ1qjpqono3_250.gifv

"keep going"