Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60;progressive.jpg

Fatphobia, tiny plane seats, and size limits can deter large travelers, but it doesn't have to be this way.​

In 2019, on a trip to the Bahamas with my mom and sister, my flight turned into an uncomfortable ordeal. My seat belt wasn’t long enough to fasten, and a fellow passenger's visceral reaction added to my discomfort. I repeatedly asked the flight attendant for a seat belt extender and was ignored until takeoff, leaving me feeling disregarded and disrespected.

And this wasn’t the first time I’ve dealt with this particular kind of travel stress. I went to Paris in 2014, and found the city cramped and unwelcoming. Narrow staircases, tiny chairs, and compact showers were just the beginning. Throughout my time there, I endured constant staring, rude comments, and fetishistic remarks about my body. But these types of roadblocks aren’t limited to Paris or my flight to Nassau—Society has an anti-fat bias, and you can encounter it anywhere.

Living in a world fueled by fatphobia creates unnecessary barriers, from limited clothing options to discrimination in medical care, employment, and relationships. According to the NIH, more than two in five adults live in a large body. And yet despite this fact, we continue to face daily challenges—including in travel, where inequities like the ones outlined below so often deny us access to the same life-changing experiences available to others.

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

The Author:

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Why do articles like this and commercial ads have to use fat black women in their photos :dead:
I've seen fitness commercials where everyone was in shape, except the black woman :dead:
Or any of these bird babble talk shows, they’ll have the sassy fat black woman. This is all by design.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago

Fatphobia, tiny plane seats, and size limits can deter large travelers, but it doesn't have to be this way.​

Yeah it does not have to be that way, stop being an obese fukk and lose weight. "Regular" size fat people have issues but these slobs and people like them are enormous. I have no problem if airlines start charging a "Fat tax" since they inconvenience the experience for those around them. They probably stink too.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I don't know why but I immediately stopped caring at "I'm a fat person who loves-"

These folks may as well start saving for an XL, carbon reinforced casket cause they've completely given up on their health.