The violent and seedy world of early Jazz and Blues, along with some of the characters of the period

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I posted Lee Shelton aka Stagger Lee, because St Louis Ragtime scene was directly connected to the later formed, New Orleans Jazz scene. Lee Shelton actually ran with/was from the same hood as many of the Missouri ragtime pioneers

Lulu white used to recruit St Louis Ragtime pianist to come play in New Orleans bordellos; even Scott Joplin played in these same places

EBpKkdC.jpg

@Supper

https://www.thecoli.com/posts/11790716/

wPyoPoX.png

5gohnzm.png

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Very interesting. The obsession/focus on slavery or civil rights content in black film/tv really ignores so much history that could result in great art. I've always felt a Mad Men type show about the black middle class of the early to mid/70s 20th century would be fascinating, and centering it on jazz would be an amazing way to add a lot of drama (and great music).

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Very interesting. The obsession/focus on slavery or civil rights content in black film/tv really ignores so much history that could result in great art. I've always felt a Mad Men type show about the black middle class of the early to mid/70s 20th century would be fascinating, and centering it on jazz would be an amazing way to add a lot of drama (and great music).

A Scott Joplin movie made in the 1970s touches on some of this 1880-1915 era of what would include Ragtime

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Charley Patton was related/had come connection to the Sheiks

6scuCOr.jpg

CHARLEY PATTON (1891-1934)

Music by Charley Patton. Interviews with Chester Burnett, Booker Miller, and Son House. Editing by Daniel Grant and Wayne Nelsen. Animation by Wayne Nelsen.

apparently, he was "about that life" according to people that knew him

kUwdsA9.jpg

9OHfTQT.jpg

aoFDK81.jpg

he died in part, to the wound he got on his throat after someone cut him up in a juke joint

RmrKbmV.jpg

rs2u4sa.jpg

76GchWw.jpg

OFZQr9Z.jpg

Z68KH0i.jpg

GbPdK2X.jpg

The last part of that Patton comic about him recording “Oh Death” had me look the song up. It really does sound like he’s about to die recording that..

This may be my favorite thread on this website

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
...this is both jazz and blues related.

I always knew weed had a big association with Jazz which made sense because Jazz was an urban music but I was always puzzled as to why early rural blues guys were making songs about cocaine:dahell:

According to Jelly Roll Morton it was widespread even in the late 19th century New Orleans.

Just give me one more sniffle
Another sniffle of that dope
Just give me one more sniffle
Another sniffle of that dope
I'll catch a cow like a cowboy
And throw a bull without a rope

jazz related

T2TeU2x.jpg

KdH4bHz.jpg

Blues and Jazz
zogCGfs.jpg

WVCc13B.jpg

Blues related

tFIoLiH.jpg

h3d9aiP.jpg

some related videos (docus that talked about the connection between these drugs and early jazz)

This is interesting.

I’m guessing blues singers & other poor folks in the delta got their drugs from the juke joints during the weekends after working in the fields all week
I read in the book Jazz and the Underworld: Dangerous Rhythms that in those days you could simply go to any pharmacy and get cocaine and heroin in specific doses.