The Wire The Greatest TV Series Ever

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
To me it's a toss up between The Wire or Spartacus. I don't think I've seen another series better than either of them

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
To me it's a toss up between The Wire or Spartacus. I don't think I've seen another series better than either of them
No disrespect fam, but the scene when Stringer tells Avon he killed D'Angelo in the hideout>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the entire Spartacus series and I'm being really generous

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
No disrespect fam, but the scene when Stringer tells Avon he killed D'Angelo in the hideout>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the entire Spartacus series and I'm being really generous

The part of that scene where String tells Slim to hit Clay Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spartacus

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
:beli: Breaking Bad got interesting when Walter White ran out the winnebago in his draws to tape his confession with the gun in his waistband.

Technically..but I meant really.

Already like 3 threads on this on the first page.

One star.

:ohhh: Thread was moved to TFR. Never in here :ehh: My apologies

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
But there's nothing shocking about people proclaiming The Wire the GOAT when 99% of them didn't watch it when it was airing because there is no time limit on appreciating art.You're debating popularity as opposed to quality in that regard. In the Booth, the word classic gets thrown around often. I concede that instant classics exist, but when it comes to talking about what's the greatest, a piece of art's ability to withstand the test of time is very important. It's been seven and eight years since The Wire and The Sopranos went off the air, respectively. Their impact is still felt today. People recognize their greatness to this day. People have conversations and debates about those shows to this day. I'm hard pressed to put a series over those two when it just went off the air a year ago.

First and foremost I have both shows ("The Wire" and "BB") as my GOAT.

Anything I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at you, it's a general statement.

My main beef in these types of conversations is the staggering hypocrisy between the fan bases. The same people that sit here and call "The Wire" the GOAT will turn around and claim "BB" is a bandwagon show, nobody liked until it was trendy when that applies to "The Wire" equally, if not more so than "BB". David Simon himself called out his fan base. He said he was tired of people dikk riding the show because it's the "in" thing to do, and none of them were around when he was begging not to get cancelled, when he could've actually used the support and acclaim.

Show runners want to be praised like "BB"". They don't want message boards calling their shyt the GOAT 7 years later, after it ended with a collective shrug.

So of course people are still talking about it. Most of them just started watching it. I'm sure the handful of people that were watching it when it was on knew it was some GOAT level shyt. They didn't have to wait years, or for validation from anyone else.

And it's not necessarily about popularity. I'm saying people will try to invalidate any aspect of "BB" because they see it as a credible threat to their choice of GOAT. The very first sentence in the thread was a shot at "BB". You don't think it's odd we're sitting in a "Wire" appreciation thread discussing the validity of "BB" as a GOAT contender? Cats can't discuss their favorite show without mentioning it.

I get that you want to wait years to see if this is really the GOAT....but how many people would actually admit they were wrong, even then?

EDIT:

And right after I post this I notice another thread comparing this to "BB". :snoop:

Fred.

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
First and foremost I have both shows ("The Wire" and "BB") as my GOAT.

Anything I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at you, it's a general statement.

My main beef in these types of conversations is the staggering hypocrisy between the fan bases. The same people that sit here and call "The Wire" the GOAT will turn around and claim "BB" is a bandwagon show, nobody liked until it was trendy when that applies to "The Wire" equally, if not more so than "BB". David Simon himself called out his fan base. He said he was tired of people dikk riding the show because it's the "in" thing to do, and none of them were around when he was begging not to get cancelled, when he could've actually used the support and acclaim.

Show runners want to be praised like "BB"". They don't want message boards calling their shyt the GOAT 7 years later, after it ended with a collective shrug.

So of course people are still talking about it. Most of them just started watching it. I'm sure the handful of people that were watching it when it was on knew it was some GOAT level shyt. They didn't have to wait years, or for validation from anyone else.

And it's not necessarily about popularity. I'm saying people will try to invalidate any aspect of "BB" because they see it as a credible threat to their choice of GOAT. The very first sentence in the thread was a shot at "BB". You don't think it's odd we're sitting in a "Wire" appreciation thread discussing the validity of "BB" as a GOAT contender? Cats can't discuss their favorite show without mentioning it.

I get that you want to wait years to see if this is really the GOAT....but how many people would actually admit they were wrong, even then?

Fred.
One of my biggest gripes with The Film Room in general is the incessant need to compare and put shyt into lists as opposed to genuine analysis, so I'm with you on BB randomly getting brought up in a Wire thread. Again, it doesn't matter when people get put on or why they get put on to a show. Of course Simon would be upset people weren't watching, it got his show canceled. Too bad, but that has no effect on the actual quality of the finished product. You could contend that if the show was more popular during its initial run it would've had a longer final season, but I'm going off what we did get. People are sheep and will think something is good just because others do, but I genuinely often have great discussions with strangers about The Wire to this day. That's saying something about how big of an impact the show had and continues to have. I don't really care if some people refuse to acknowledge Breaking Bad is better if it hypothetically stands the test of time as being so. There are plenty of people with opinions that differ from the norm. But there's a norm for a reason. A culture dictates what the norm is and that outweighs the opinion of a couple of outliers. That's why even though you'll meet some people that think Goodfellas is the pinnacle of gangster movies, The Godfather is culturally accepted as the best.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
One of my biggest gripes with The Film Room in general is the incessant need to compare and put shyt into lists as opposed to genuine analysis.

That was another point David Simon discussed, more or less in the exact same words.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of my biggest gripes with The Film Room in general is the incessant need to compare and put shyt into lists as opposed to genuine analysis, so I'm with you on BB randomly getting brought up in a Wire thread. Again, it doesn't matter when people get put on or why they get put on to a show. Of course Simon would be upset people weren't watching, it got his show canceled. Too bad, but that has no effect on the actual quality of the finished product. You could contend that if the show was more popular during its initial run it would've had a longer final season, but I'm going off what we did get. People are sheep and will think something is good just because others do, but I genuinely often have great discussions with strangers about The Wire to this day. That's saying something about how big of an impact the show had and continues to have. I don't really care if some people refuse to acknowledge Breaking Bad is better if it hypothetically stands the test of time as being so. There are plenty of people with opinions that differ from the norm. But there's a norm for a reason. A culture dictates what the norm is and that outweighs the opinion of a couple of outliers. That's why even though you'll meet some people that think Goodfellas is the pinnacle of gangster movies, The Godfather is culturally accepted as the best.

The Wire NEVER got cancelled. It ended.

P.S. The Wire is the greatest ever.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The Wire NEVER got cancelled. It ended.

P.S. The Wire is the greatest ever.

False.

It got cancelled after season 3. This is straight from David Simon's mouth. He had to literally beg to get the last season 2 seasons aired, which is why it had a shortened final season.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It never got officially cancelled nikka. Facts only! It ended. Season 5, Simon wanted to end the show. Facts only.

Bullshyt! Simon has stated numerous times, if he wanted more episodes for season 5 he could've got them. He and his writing staff decided they only need 10 episodes. If he wanted more episodes for season 5 HBO would've gave him more episodes. Straight from Simon's mouth.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It never got officially cancelled nikka. Facts only! It ended. Season 5, Simon wanted to end the show. Facts only.

It got officially cancelled after season 3. If you want to shoot David Simon an email and argue with him, knock yourself out:

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/23/david_simon_most_tv_is_unwatchable/

David Simon: “The Wire” was supposed to be canceled; in fact it was cancelled after three seasons. And I went in and I wrapped my arms around Chris Albrecht’s legs and begged. And to his great credit, he listened to the story and he said OK. And then I begged again after Season 4, and to his great credit he said OK again.

HBO no longer wanted the show after season 3. He couldn't have gotten a season 6 even if he wanted it. This has nothing to do with the quality of the show, but let's not rewrite history.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have to dig up the article. But Simon states emphatically, he ended the show. He said he had no stories left to tell.

And that not officially cancelled if it had a season 4. You know what I mean nikka. And Simon determined that season 5 only needed 10 episodes.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I have to dig up the article. But Simon states emphatically, he ended the show. He said he had no stories left to tell.

And that not officially cancelled if it had a season 4. You know what I mean nikka. And Simon determined that season 5 only needed 10 episodes.

I dunno what interview you seen, but David Simon just did a "The Wire" reunion interview at Paley Fest in October, I posted it on here. He said they wanted to do a season on immigration, but it wasn't possible because they barely got to season 5, as is.

I'm sure he did end it how he wanted, given what he had at the time. But no show runner in history would want to have to beg to keep their show on the air, multiple times. Imagine if you were writing a novel and had to beg your publisher to print each chapter....it would impact the story at some point.

Fred.

jaydolf spitler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
Just finished season 1 :whew: almost thought I wasn't gonna continue after the first episode cuz I haven't gotten thru a whole tv series since breaking bad. This shyt was good tho