Therapy, Podcasts and Books for Black Males

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
This is a very interesting topic, an essential one even but there are huge issues involved because of the nature of the field, the people involved and the various approaches.

Not all modalities are equal and neither are all practitioners. People don't turn away business and few still admit they aren't equipped to deal with a certain issue because to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail. Taking it to a deeper level the presenting problem may in fact be a masking device for an underlying issue and so on but they won't know till they've opened the tin and then they can't shove it all back in.

Most people are totally unaware of the potential pitfalls involved when it comes to the inside of their minds and many practitioners have the approach of early tomb raiders blowing up the pyramids with dynamite to gain access. Their approach has the same level of finesse and most of them don't know because of their own ignorance of the higher intellect that built the edifice in the first place.

To put it to you visually, remember this game:

kerplunk_product_4.jpg

Thats an accurate representation of most peoples inner worlds. They are artfully broken and suspended in an uneasy balance. Now if someone comes along and starts poking and prodding, moving and shaking without a full comprehension of whats under the surface (not just personal but multi generational traumatic inheritance which is uniformly ignored) then you can imagine what happens.

The entire field is a minefield because of factors outlined above that are based on institutional ignorance. Sure it offers some solutions, I don't deny that and its better than nothing but it really is something you need to tread carefully with for reasons outlined and even more I haven't got into here.

I've been working on a self directed protocol (ie you do it to you at your own pace) that utilizes the bodies innate wisdom to heal itself as I was so dissatisfied with what I found in the field that I knew I wold have to invent another way. After all, who knows your mind better than your body because its been with you literally each step of the way.

It's the main reason why I've been trying to find only Black therapists to work with, period.

Becky from the subs isn't going to even begin to understand the generational pain and trauma we face everyday.

If you are going to be prodded, should be someone who doesn't need a dissertation on why you feel the way you feel.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
This thread should do numbers.. But people have a tendency to keep shyt bottled up.. Then seek help only after shyt explodes and its even harder or too late to help..
Nobody keeps things bottled up more than black men. And for real for real we are the last group of people who can afford to do that. I did therapy on the low years back when I was going thru a divorce and I realized I was messed up from shyt starting with child hood all the way up to that point. It made a world of difference

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
It's the main reason why I've been trying to find only Black therapists to work with, period.

Becky from the subs isn't going to even begin to understand the generational pain and trauma we face everyday.

If you are going to be prodded, should be someone who doesn't need a dissertation on why you feel the way you feel.

I don't deny that but in reality this transcends race entirely. Walk with me:

One who is from a race that is traumatized and attempts to treat another suffering the same social PTSD will often misread cues based on their own experiences and overlay them to their client. This creates confusion instead of clarity is one is lead by another into a place that isn't where they were headed or intended as what one vibration resonates as in the practitioners mind may in fact relate to something totally different in the clients life but because they think they know due to shared heritage they project their own suffering onto another and walk them away from the solution they're seeking. Pain is always personal as are the interpretations and manifestations.

Flip it to someone who comes from privilege and has never heard so much as "No" and they in turn miss the subtle nuance and lay on the empathy too hard for something they can never truly feel as the indulge the projections you present and in turn also lead you away from the truth. There are levels of self deception at play, always.

Two person therapy is like looking into a mirror with a lens in front of your eyes. If you're not 20/20 (and most people aren't, psychologically speaking) the distortion they provide equates to clarity because its better than it was before but you are still not seeing what was there. Worse still you're actually taking in an inverted reflection which doesn't match reality at all. People accept it as they think thats all there is but there is a reason why talk therapy very rarely generates any lasting beneficial effects and pill popping just numbs/dumbs as its all about going under the surface and to go there in another you have to have been there in self.

It gets deep but you should get the picture from the sketch I've outlined. I'm going to let you into a "trade secret":

Almost without exception every single person involved in the mental health field is damaged.
That was what motivated them to get into the realm in the first place. To better make sense of themselves. The side effect is that the internal levels of tension they feel (ie the sticks keeping the marbles in place) are temporarily offset when they move anothers pieces (often influenced by their own unconscious inner patterns) without actually bringing any lasting benefit or change to their own issues.

There is a reason why substance abuse and lifestyle issues fly so high in the mental health field because these folks are mostly broken and can't walk the talk as they haven't done the deep healing required or the insight it generates into the human plight before they set out to sit front row at the the big mind show.

If you do decide to do the 2 person thing ask the right questions, do the research, go with your gut feeling and most of all be honest.

Personally I find the entire field as it stands something to avoid entirely as its plagued with ignorance as to the true nature of man. A statement that is backed up with its statistical inefficiency and the various points raised in my replies.

On the flip, sometimes you can just have a conversation with someone and vibe and an arrangement of words you'd never heard before can cause a light bulb to click and then its just like getting the straight line in Tetris and a whole load of what was blocked melts in an instant.

tenor.gif

Good luck.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nobody keeps things bottled up more than black men. And for real for real we are the last group of people who can afford to do that. I did therapy on the low years back when I was going thru a divorce and I realized I was messed up from shyt starting with child hood all the way up to that point. It made a world of difference

Hell yeah breh.. All a therapist does is place you center stage a make you talk about whats bothering you.. Then that weight is lifted.. :blessed:

You ultimately gotta realize you can't change whats dones, and vow to move differently going forward, according to what you've just learned about yourself via communication.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don’t go to therapy or nothing like that. But my moms got sick like a year and a half ago and man, shyt had me thinking about my moms mortality and shyt was tough. I got group of 3 homies and we all been friends for over 15 years. We can tell each other anything. Man just sharing my feelings with the homies was so helpful no homo lol. But afterwards I realized, I a super strong minded person, but everyone needs an outlet. I’m blessed to have a group of friends where we can tell each other anything and not be judged and people actually feel your pain. And we are ignorant and obnoxious as hell. But when it’s time to be serious we got each other. Without that, I would have probably went to talk to someone. So people should not be ashamed of seeing a therapist or talking to someone. I’m the most toxic masculinity ass nikka there is and I would definitely do it if needed.

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Home - Therapy for Black Men

Therapists For Black Males | About Me in Brooklyn NY

Two different websites.

The second one offers free consolations, does not take insurance, but the rates are cheaper than average ($50-$175 depending on the therapist)

Booked a session for next week with a Black male therapist for the first time.

Everything is online.

Do it for yourself and your future children.

Sidenote: There is a sister site Home

In case you know of a woman who is looking for a similar service.

Preemptively adding @YaThreadFloppedB!
Judging by your posts in here you need more therapy

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I don’t go to therapy or nothing like that. But my moms got sick like a year and a half ago and man, shyt had me thinking about my moms mortality and shyt was tough. I got group of 3 homies and we all been friends for over 15 years. We can tell each other anything. Man just sharing my feelings with the homies was so helpful no homo lol. But afterwards I realized, I a super strong minded person, but everyone needs an outlet. I’m blessed to have a group of friends where we can tell each other anything and not be judged and people actually feel your pain. And we are ignorant and obnoxious as hell. But when it’s time to be serious we got each other. Without that, I would have probably went to talk to someone. So people should not be ashamed of seeing a therapist or talking to someone. I’m the most toxic masculinity ass nikka there is and I would definitely do it if needed.

Owe you Rep breh, it's good to have that kind of support system.

Most important thing is you used it :salute: