Daps
Reppin
Chi
Look at these moronic CACs going to such length for college :mjlol:

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Look at these moronic CACs going to such length for college :mjlol:
It is not any college. Those schools are legacy institutions. There are stories that most of the California state schools are running at 300% filled with Asians. For a white family to have their child there is like planting a flag on the moon. There is a certain prestige that comes with saying my child goes to USC.

Dr. Dre really believes his daughter earned her spot arbor USC based solely on her merits. Dr. Dre and the other guy gave $77 million to the school. Dr. Dre is a fukking idiot.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I dont care. I think the parents should be freed, and paying to get into "elite" universities should be legalized.

They literally harmed no one, and the whole higher education system is a scam to begin with.
Yep those four years I went to school for a specialized field and then earn a good salary was a complete waste of time. Quite frankly only the rich and well connected should be able to attend college. Anyone else desiring to pursue education and get a job beyond a call center job is wasting their time.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I think about that all the time, and all the ways my life would be different, if I came from a different class, even just 1/3 more towards the "real" middle class in the late 90's, and even then, I am not quite in the realistic category for an Ivy league education, no matter what my intelligence, because of all the other dynamics against it, money, class, opportunity. I don't know anyone who went from poverty class/lower middle class to Ivy league, not one person, I know they exist, but it is extremely uncommon.

In regards to the case, they filed more charges, because they are the defendants who wouldn't plea, (which is why the other ones did, so quickly) now, only the most arrogant and wealthy will take it to trial, the rest will plea shortly.
I just heard about this concept.

Cumulative Disadvantage Theory
social structures shape human behavior and interpersonal relations. Furthermore, cumulation in childhood experiences shape life outcomes sometimes in negative ways. Inequality is, therefore, not a randomly determined misfortune, but rather a predestined state that one is born into. Although it is possible for inequality to come from an individual's own actions consequences, that is not always true. One's childhood experiences and conditions should also be taken into consideration since these experiences help mold a young individual into an adult.
Basically over the course of a lifetime, people born into well off setting tend to reap the benefits from being born in a great situation, whereas individuals born in a less fortunate situation, are constantly at a unique disadvantage.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think about that all the time, and all the ways my life would be different, if I came from a different class, even just 1/3 more towards the "real" middle class in the late 90's, and even then, I am not quite in the realistic category for an Ivy league education, no matter what my intelligence, because of all the other dynamics against it, money, class, opportunity. I don't know anyone who went from poverty class/lower middle class to Ivy league, not one person, I know they exist, but it is extremely uncommon.
I did, I guess. My dad was earning mid-20g in the 80s and low 30g in the 90s. Until I got to high school that was our family's only income, then my moms started working part-time. I won't be specific about where I went but outside of the state school I applied to be safe, the other four schools were all either Ivy League or Ivy League-equivalent (in terms of academic rigor and acceptance levels), and I got into three of them.

But your statement still holds. I was lower-middle class but I had SO many advantages compared to damn near everyone else in my situation. My parents didn't make a lot but both had a college degree. My dad had purposely moved to a place with really low housing costs where we could afford a mortgage and have our own home, even though it meant we were far separated from family. My dad was never out of a job from probably when I was about 2 years old onwards. My parents never got in any debt and were extremely thrifty with money. The local school sucked but not as bad as a lot of schools, about 10% of the kids went to college and some of those were good schools (though they were mostly all the better-off kids). And I was just born with a head that can just do shyt better than 99.999% of those out there.

And I was lucky to have those opportunities, cause I didn't get shyt others. Our school didn't even have AP courses. I didn't even know that "test prep" was a thing. I applied for an internship once in high school, but I learned later that all the slots were given out to people who were basically pre-selected by their connections even before the applications had come in. When I did my college applications I worked on them completely alone except for asking my dad a couple questions, and the advice he gave me was terrible (he had just gone to state schools). In fact I think part of the reason that I failed to get into that one school was because my dad's advice on the essay was so bad. When I went for interviews I was completely out of my depth, and one interview in particular (same place I didn't get into) made me feel the interviewer was just a privileged a$$hole and I was a piece of shyt.

And like I said, when I got to school there was pretty much no one else there. That one Latina girl I mentioned had come from a much rougher life, she was smart but she had to drop out sophomore year when she got knocked up. Incredibly, she re-enrolled 3 years later and graduated with a math degree. There wasn't one other person in my class who I would say had less than the average US income, in fact not one other person I can remember whose parents weren't either professionals, businessmen or wealthy. In later classes I met a few exception students who came in, this one Black dude from Philly who had a scholarship to one of the elite private schools there, this one Native American kid from Arizona. I'm sure there were others whose backstory I just didn't learn cause they blended in. But there weren't many.

In a few schools it's slightly different - I think Harvard and Brown soak up most of the low-income Black and Brown geniuses in the country. But the numbers who make it to that point are still ridiculously low.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Yep those four years I went to school for a specialized field and then earn a good salary was a complete waste of time. Quite frankly only the rich and well connected should be able to attend college. Anyone else desiring to pursue education and get a job beyond a call center job is wasting their time.
exactly, @DEAD7 , then we wouldn't have the student loan crisis.

@thekingsmen are you shocked that Harvard is using its endowment to invest in private prisons and soak up the debt for Puerto Rico.

:ohhh: It's crazy how when we try to play to @The Devil's Advocate the truth and reality of life is still fukked up.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly, @DEAD7 , then we wouldn't have the student loan crisis.

@thekingsmen are you shocked that Harvard is using its endowment to invest in private prisons and soak up the debt for Puerto Rico.

:ohhh: It's crazy how when we try to play to @The Devil's Advocate the truth and reality of life is still fukked up.

Im not surprised since Harvard had a involvement in slavery.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
They've thrown additional charges at 15 of the defendants, including money laundering (cause they were trying to pass off the payments as charitable donations).