This BMW E38 740IL restoration might be the cleanest 7 series on the planet

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I want one but only thing I'm concerned about is maintenance. Living in NY trying to work on your car on the side of the street is a pain in the ass. I need a crib with a personal garage :francis:

I'd also have to budget for that interior upholstery upgrade. It's a must. I'm BIG on car interior. Made me look past a lot of mechanical BS in my last whip because the interior was pristine and luxurious. No regrets in the end :wow: I wanted all the bells and whistles.

Fcpeuro has prices that are sometimes better than what I get through my friend's supplier and they're not really that hard to work on as long as you don't need to tackle any undercarriage repairs. While an independent bmw shop would be the preferred place to have bigger jobs done on it, at the end of the day any one can do a good service as long as they're halfway competent. With that being said, these cars aren't getting any younger and parts are getting harder to come by, so I would keep my eyes peeled for one that has had a new transmission already installed and maybe the timing guide cover gaskets serviced already.

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You mutha fukkers are bad influences, I spent hours now looking at E36 convertibles. Didn't know I need an old bimmer until now. I've owned a 540i 6 speed and 97 M3 and both cars whipped my ass with shyt breaking but I figure it won't be so bad this go around because this won't be my daily. Plus I know the value is not going to drop on these cars. Cruising in an old skool on a nice day with the top down blasting music :blessed:

The key on old bimmers is just replacing the entire cooling system off the bat. The cooling system was 90% of the issues on both cars.

boxfullofjoel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love the idea of finding one of the classics in decent shape and just restoring to the image I want over time. I've always wanted to do this with an E28 in particular. :mjcry:

19xaz1zo2pvg8osiwt93.jpg
Yeah I was going to pick up an 535is e28 too last year as a project, But TBH I am leaning more towards an e36 M3. I had a 325is back in the day and the handling/steering in that car has never been match IMO.:ohlawd:

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I was going to pick up an 535is e28 too last year as a project, But TBH I am leaning more towards an e36 M3. I had a 325is back in the day and the handling/steering in that car has never been match IMO.:ohlawd:
Yea the ownership of the m3 was a nightmare to me but all my issues were coolant related. So If I get another e36 I'm doing an entire coolant overhaul (radiator, thermostat, hoses, expansion tank) off the rip.