This forum's unappreciation of Tony Montana unappreciation thread

Daps
Reppin
NYC
everytime the topic of scarface comes up there's always a few dudes who try and sneak jab pacino's performance as if they don't acknowledge that it's one of the most captivating and entertaining performances of all time.

not many films come to mind where a lead actor carries the entire fukkin movie like that. without pacino tony is just some cuban drug dealer. pacino made the dude a fukkin superhero. the fukkin energy in that performance is second to none. you naturally gravitate towards his presence and his aura. he MAKES that fukkin movie.

and then they'll say some shyt like "oh the only people that idolize tony montana are rappers and wannabee husters"... nah muthafukka. the people that identify with tony montana are the ones lookin to make it in life, the ones willing to do whatever it takes to rise to the top. and it was pacino's performance that made the character feel larger than life and be that symbol.

filepicker%2FDdnyfEIRyqs1xryV8AQG_tony_montana.jpg

fact is you don't see al pacino in this picture. you see tony montana.

now tell me why you think it was a bad performance.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I never thought Pacino's performance as Tony Montana was bad. It is very hammy and full of copious amounts of scenery chewing that bordered on camp. It is very entertaining.
It also is definitely not his best acting performance by any stretch of the imagination.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I never thought Pacino's performance as Tony Montana was bad. It is very hammy and full of copious amounts of scenery chewing that bordered on camp. It is very entertaining.
It also is definitely not his best acting performance by any stretch of the imagination.
But how would grounding that performance in any way help the movie? Why cast Al Pacino if all you want is just some regular performance?

Al played it big because he understood that the CHARACTER was big. Tony is not your average dude. He's a fukkin super alpha. The type of dude you can't ignore in a room. This is why he was able to go from raggedy dishwasher to drug empire kingpin. Sosa saw it in him from the moment they met that this guy was special.

The performance needed to be majestic. It needed to be exaggerated. That's who Tony is. Larger than life.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
But how would grounding that performance in any way help the movie? Why cast Al Pacino if all you want is just some regular performance?

Al played it big because he understood that the CHARACTER was big. Tony is not your average dude. He's a fukkin super alpha. The type of dude you can't ignore in a room. This is why he was able to go from raggedy dishwasher to drug empire kingpin. Sosa saw it in him from the moment they met that this guy was special.

The performance needed to be majestic. It needed to be exaggerated. That's who Tony is. Larger than life.
Who was arguing with you? Not me.
I said it was a good performance just not the best of Pacino's work in my estimation.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
on some real shyt
Scarface was probably the first MOVIE I ever seen
and some jamaican shyt my pops watched
i love Scarface
its just muthafukkin cornball hip hop nikkas fukked it up by making people believe it was "the shyt that made them get to hustlin" :stopitslime:
i been living in new york city damn near all my life
not nan muthafukka i know/knew gonna tell you "yo i saw Scarface and it changed my life!"
no
LIFE changed muthafukkas lives :deadmanny:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Love the performance but don't like the movie...also, don't like people's reactions:ohhh: when I tell them they don't like it. As if every black man is genetically predisposed to liking Scarface :beli:

it goes hand in hand with having 2Pac in your top 3.

You do it cause you're black and it's what you're supposed to do.

With that being said, Scarface is overrated as fukk.

But I will admit

scarface-movie-characte.jpg

will forever be one of the illest visual concepts ever conceived.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
it goes hand in hand with having 2Pac in your top 3.

You do it cause you're black and it's what you're supposed to do.

With that being said, Scarface is overrated as fukk.

But I will admit

scarface-movie-characte.jpg

will forever be one of the illest visual concepts ever conceived.

Poster is dope...and guess who ain't in my top 3?:sas1: