THIS is HUGE: Gbagbo goes free at ICC court in The Hague

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Wife of a dictator is a pretty sweet deal. They enjoy the fruits when the goings good and don't face the consequences when shyt hits the fan. Gaddafi's wife toured the Middle East in exile and now back to her native town in Libya.
Not always

Jean-Claude Duvalier returned to Haiti after 30+ years and wasnt touched. Even tho rumors are that his death after his return wasnt of natural causes (rumors that he was poisoned) but still the outraged wasnt as bad.

If his wife Michelle Benett-Duvalier was to set foot in Port Au Prince my money would be on the whole city burning down. She is far more hated than he was and trust me he was hated. From the top of my head i could repeat the lyrics to so many street protest songs cursing that woman that I used to hear as a child when i lived in Haiti. More songs cursing that woman in Haitian circles than probably anyone in history. Not many cursing Jean-Claude (her husband) or Francois (Jean-Claude's father) . But her.....

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Man im FB friends with a bunch of Ivorians who are living over there right now. From th vids i'm seeing on FB the place is LIT!

thekyuke

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
CIV is a polarized nation, I know Ivorians who hated him :manny: Your boy most likely shares his ethnic group or from his region. The celebrations are also polarized along ethnic and regional lines.

Its not true that Ouattara is unpopular. The whole crisis started because he was inevitably going to win the Presidency, but the constitution was rigged over and over to ensure he doesnt get a chance to hold office. Then when he finally won, Gbagbo didnt accept the result and tried to force a Government of National Unity. Theres nothing easier than for African Presidents to don the cloth of anti-imperialist when all goes wrong. The story is far more complex than that.

As for this ruling, it was clear this was going to happen considering all the delays. But politics in CIV has already moved past the civil war fault lines. The current president pardoned Gbagbo's wife months ago, and his party was already in the clear to run again. The current President also cannot run for another term, and theres already splinters in the ruling coalition to succeed him. Its highly unlikely that things will revert back to square one, not immediately at least.

Gbagbo won the election!

he CACI-USA is convinced that Laurent Gbagbo’s arrest and transfer to the International Criminal Court (ICC) is a political decision that perpetuates France’s maneuvers to keep the Ivory Coast in her sphere of influence. The truth is that Laurent Gbagbo’s philosophy and actions seriously threatened France’s geo-strategic interests and hegemony in Africa. It is because of these interests that NATO supported France-initiated UN Resolution 1975, the ultimate goal of which was to defeat and kill Laurent Gbagbo.
Why do Ivorians demand the release of Laurent Gbagbo? | Pambazuka News

The whole piece explains what happened-its a long read but worth it.