This woman is the lunch lady, school bus driver, & tutor due to staff shortages in CO

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Feb 12, 2024

SAN LUIS — By 6 a.m. most weekdays, Crystal Quintana is walking through the kitchen doors of Centennial School District R-1 to tackle the first tasks of the morning, which sometimes means molding homemade dough into cinnamon rolls or wrestling that same dough into slabs for square pizzas. Other times, dozens of chicken patties wait to be laid across sheet pans while 7-pound cans of baked beans sit ready to be opened and emptied.

Twelve or 13 hours later, she’ll head home to tend to her family’s pigs, cows and horses.

The minutes in between hurl Quintana in a blur of different directions: As the food service director for the rural district, she feeds about 160 students with as many meals made from scratch as her team can manage. She also oversees an after-school tutoring program for kids falling behind in at least one class and runs a Friday learning program for students who are trying to make up credits. And Quintana, who lives about 8 miles away in San Acacio, usually then shuttles several kids home, driving into remote stretches of the southern Colorado district to drop them off one by one.

And that’s all if the day goes as planned.

“I just help wherever they need me,” said Quintana, who also takes over bus routes when no one else can.

Stretching across multiple jobs has become a kind of chaotic norm for her and many other educators and school employees in Colorado, where chronic staff shortages have spread more work across fewer people. While Colorado continues to face teacher shortages, many schools also desperately need more school bus drivers, food service workers, counselors and paraprofessionals.

Last edited:

King Poetic

A.K.A. Reasonable Doubt
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County , California
It’s Crazy the amount of shortages we have in this country among all fields and we have the people to do it, but not even the most broke individuals wants to work but complain

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
There is no way she is being properly compensated for all that.
I think she is. The budget is there, just not the employees to fill the jobs. There is money to pay the ones who pick up the slack.

To not exacerbate the shortages, those districts have to do whatever they can to retain current employees.

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Naw that’s how they would get over, count them as 3 separate jobs, probably part time too.

They need to pay her like she full time at the rate of the highest paid job, and give her OT for going over 40 hours.
Either way, that check needs to be fat

She should be clearing 6 figures or fukk that

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There is no way she is being properly compensated for all that.
Uncle ruckus would be proud :pachaha:

e57e5cb5-d7ca-4fb0-8f70-63ff53f45d1b_text.gif

I think ruckus actually worked two out of those three jobs. Instead of tutoring, he was the janitor at the school, in addition to being the bus driver , and lunch staff.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Either way, that check needs to be fat

She should be clearing 6 figures or fukk that
That’s not how corporate works. They want you to do the most they can get out of you for a flat rate at best.

My first jobs used to jerk me on OT. I learned how the real works and why my parents always had a full liquor cabinet dedicated to after work drinking.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
That’s not how corporate works. They want you to do the most they can get out of you for a flat rate at best.

My first jobs used to jerk me on OT. I learned how the real works and why my parents always had a full liquor cabinet dedicated to after work drinking.
I don’t really care how corporate works

And she’s not corporate

I’m saying what she should be making 6 figures for the amount of work she is putting in, and if she’s not, fukk that

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
She also joins other teachers in tutoring students after school. And she gives some of the district’s Filipino teachers a ride to and from school and even drives them an hour away to get groceries on weekends.

so the local government is inept, they can't attract enough people to work in their schools and the foreign teachers they could attract can't earn enough to buy a car to travel in the local area. poor infrastructure and a food desert from what it sounds like. :francis: