Those of you trying to copy fast food fried chicken, but can't get it, come in here.

Lambent55

All Star
Daps
Whether it's fried chicken, fried chicken sandwiches, tenders whatever,

This is general a message for those who fry their chicken in 100% wheat flour. (all purpose flour)

Stop that. (unless you're fine with the taste, most people are)

These places do not fry their stuff in 100% "flour" (technically they are, depending on how you look at it, but they always word it in the way that makes it seem like they're using wheat flour.) The vast majority of "copycat "recipes only list All purpose flour as an ingredient, and that's why those copycats never work.

Minus the spices, the breading they use is typically a mix of Wheat flour, corn starch, and potato starch, plus some other stuff, but those three can be easily purchased. You can even experiment with adding almond flour. The big secret is the ratio of breading they use. Flour has a taste to it, and the blends you use will largely determine how your chicken taste.

I actually haven't tried potato starch, I normally fry with about 70/30 or 60/40 Corn starch/Flour I really don't like the taste of wheat flour breading, so I go heavy with the starch.