Thoughts on unknown rappers taking already used beats, putting them out & writing "produced by...."

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Any thoughts on this?

For example, I searched "produced by 9th Wonder" on youtube, and found this on the 1st page. Probably because it's only a few months old. You can do this with most well known producers. 9th made this beat, but he did not produce this song. 9th Wonder produced a song for David Banner called Slow Down, and this was the beat that 9th Wonder made for it.

I'm not trying to pick on Shaun Miller here. He's just the first artist that came up in the results that I knew 9th didn't actually produce for. I guess I could've just used the Charles Hamilton/Dilla example.

Thoughts on this? It definitely misleads people. Especially if it's a more obscure beat. I bet a lot of people heard this and wouldn't know that 9th didn't cosign this at all, and that this type of stuff can burn bridges before you even build them.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Just curious.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
shyt is definitely wack. Also when up and coming artists use one of those throwaway verses from a well known artist and say featuring (insert big artist) like they really worked with them. Charles Hamilton was catchin a bunch of heat over that Dilla shyt lmao.

Yeah man. It was especially worse with him because I think he tried to say Dilla's ghost was actually helping him and executive produced the album.

:skip:

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Is it worst than somebody freestyling over a beat but not crediting the producer:patrice:? Its a slippery slope

worse. They aren't doing it to give the producer credit, they're doing it to leech off the producers name. Thread starter was looking for 9th wonder produced stuff and this kid pops up. That was the whole point of putting produced by 9th Wonder.

Its another rap version of clickbait

Whole thing is funny cause today my homeboy was trying to put me on to Vinny Chase and I saw he had a song produced by DJ Premier so I clicked on that and it was this nikka rhyming over the Bring it On instrumental :beli:

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
As someone who blogged about underground/unknown/unsigned artists, I fukking HATED when rappers did this. This shyt just screams someone who has no social graces or creativity to actually get in or create a makeshift bedroom studio, get involved locally with their scene to produce some original shyt.

I respected the dudes who'd spit some shyt over like sound collages or lo-fi noise structured instrumentals than that shyt.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
As someone who blogged about underground/unknown/unsigned artists, I fukking HATED when rappers did this. This shyt just screams someone who has no social graces or creativity to actually get in or create a makeshift bedroom studio, get involved locally with their scene to produce some original shyt.

I respected the dudes who'd spit some shyt over like sound collages or lo-fi noise structured instrumentals than that shyt.

Yep. Same guys FLOOD inboxes of some of your favorite producers with requests like "I know you're well known, but could I please get like 1 or 2 beats for free, or even an EP? I love the culture and I know I'll do them justice. I just need a shot!"

C'mon man. You think your favorite producers were out there asking for hand outs and leeching off other people's names?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
worse. They aren't doing it to give the producer credit, they're doing it to leech off the producers name. Thread starter was looking for 9th wonder produced stuff and this kid pops up. That was the whole point of putting produced by 9th Wonder.

Its another rap version of clickbait

Whole thing is funny cause today my homeboy was trying to put me on to Vinny Chase and I saw he had a song produced by DJ Premier so I clicked on that and it was this nikka rhyming over the Bring it On instrumental :beli:

Are you against rappers rapping over other peoples beats at all:lupe:?Cuz im torn on this,i do agree its probaly clever click bait where the artist can play it off by simply saying "I just wanted to give credit to the producer yall:troll:"

Personally i do think the producer of the beat should be credited.....even in thag tweet above 9th wonder says "if i didnt produce your song dont say i did"....but in alot of peoples minds when you say "produced",its only speaking of the beat....so many would say he did actually produce the song if he made the beat:lolbron:

9th being a oldachool producer knows the difference between making a beat and really producing though...but many dont share that thinking anynore.

i think the person who made the beat should get credit in sum way....saying freestyle lets you knkw it may be over sumbody elses beat,but fails to give credit...im curious to know how other producers feel.....taking beats is part of hiphop,but do they reject that idea?

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Are you against rappers rapping over other peoples beats at all:lupe:?Cuz im torn on this,i do agree its probaly clever click bait where the artist can play it off by simply saying "I just wanted to give credit to the producer yall:troll:"

Personally i do think the producer of the beat should be credited.....even in thag tweet above 9th wonder says "if i didnt produce your song dont say i did"....but in alot of peoples minds when you say "produced",its only speaking of the beat....so many would say he did actually produce the song if he made the beat:lolbron:

9th being a oldachool producer knows the difference between making a beat and really producing though...but many dont share that thinking anynore.

i think the person who made the beat should get credit in sum way....saying freestyle lets you knkw it may be over sumbody elses beat,but fails to give credit...im curious to know how other producers feel.....taking beats is part of hiphop,but do they reject that idea?

Rapping over other peoples beats is the reason we're able to have this conversation right now. Old cats wasn't saying putting produced by James Brown.

Producers should be credited for their work that the put in but if you rapping over a beat they made for someone else and calling it anything but a freestyle and saying it was produced by such-n-such you're being dishonest. Click bait doesn't work. You'll get one click from one person and they'll never check for you again unless you sucker them in with another click bait title. Then you become 'one of those guys" and people know you for the wrong reasons and will never take you serious. I'll never click that link in the 1st post again because dishonesty is what lead me there. Dude used 9th wonders name for views.

If you put a video of you freestyling over a beat not given to you on youtube, put the producer credit in the description.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I think it's corny but I now know that it's done so I don't get burned like in the past.

Like when I see a Hus Kingpin song called 'Run' produced by Rza I already know the deal.