Tim Duncan officially retires after 19 seasons with the Spurs.

BodieBroadus

You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW
Farewell to the Big Fundamental
BLAKE GRIFFIN
FORWARD / LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

The first NBA game I ever went to was in San Antonio. I was like eight or nine years old. I happened to be in town for an AAU tournament, and my friend’s family took us to a Spurs game. We were seated way up in the third level, almost in the very last row of the Alamodome.

I have this vivid memory of looking way, way, way down to the floor and seeing Tim Duncan and David Robinson warming up. Tim was doing his whole routine — all the classics. The hook shot, the bank shot, the reverse pivot, everything that made him the Big Fundamental.

So fast-forward to 10 years later, and I’m playing in one of my first NBA preseason games with the Clippers. I’m shooting, doing layups, going through my whole routine, and then at a certain point I turn and look down the court.

I see Tim warming up, practicing his bank shot.

He was right there, 50 feet away, raining buckets. Silky smooth. No facial expression. Just totally about his business. Hook shot, hook shot, bank.

I genuinely geeked out.
I stopped in my tracks and just watched him doing his thing for a good 30 seconds.

I had to tell myself, “I’m about to literally line up across from this guy. I’m about to guard Tim Duncan. This is happening.”

When you get to the NBA, you’re all about your pride. You have blinders on. You want to prove that nothing fazes you. But everybody has that one “holy shyt” moment, when you realize how fortunate you are to be on that floor going up against somebody you grew up idolizing.

Thanks for giving me that moment, Tim.

It was so surreal to go from my first NBA game ever — sitting way up near the roof of the Alamodome, to actually being on the floor with you, about to tip it off.

It was a pleasure to battle against you throughout the years. Best of luck in whatever’s next.

BLAKE GRIFFIN / SENIOR EDITOR
BG_Black_Athlete_Signature-230x110.png

:to:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Spurs GM RC Buford on Tim Duncan

:mjcry::sadbron::to:

I think Pop and Buford emptied out half the wine collection

The assistant coaches and gm better be ready:sadcam:

Buford and Pop sound like they are ready to pack up and bounce...:wow:

Interesting that he openly said trade discussion/roster moves most of the time happen between Pop, TD, Manu and Parker.

Spurs still have a good roster, the bench is the question mark with the new younger pieces from Europe, if Patty Mills is trying to get paid, and if Ginobili can still perform

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
Interesting that he openly said trade discussion/roster moves most of the time happen between Pop, TD, Manu and Parker.

Spurs still have a good roster, the bench is the question mark with the new younger pieces from Europe, if Patty Mills is trying to get paid, and if Ginobili can still perform

I dunno:francis:

Imagine being next to the same person at your job for almost 20 years and then they leave:francis:

The car isnt in the parking lot anymore

The pictures on the desk are gone

The morning coffee for 2 is only for 1 now

the on schedule words of encouragement when you need it the most are silent

the lil inside jokes that are only understood by you 2

You get used to certain things and when that comfort is gone, its hard to start over

Its little things like that that makes it hard to even care the same...

I think Pop/Buford/Manu/Tony are pretty much shell shocked and want to pretty much say fukk it:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

Its up to everyone else besides them from here on out

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wrote a thank you letter to Duncan I will post it on here when I get a reply. Mods go ahead and close this thread, I'm the only one worthy to speak about Duncan on here

BodieBroadus

You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW
Spurs GM RC Buford on Tim Duncan

:mjcry::sadbron::to:

I think Pop and Buford emptied out half the wine collection

The assistant coaches and gm better be ready:sadcam:

Buford and Pop sound like they are ready to pack up and bounce...:wow:

Wow. The end. Fukk.