To the older folks here, ever think about this?

dbp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's almost 2015. We still talk about Austin/Rock and the attitude era all the time. It still gets referenced a ton by WWE.

How do you think the 6-15 year olds currently watching feel about it? Do you think they view old clips as lame or cool?

I remember watching is a kid in 1995, and stuff from the 70s seemed to dated and lame to me. I have a much greater appreciation for it now but it seemed very un-hip as a kid. I wonder if kids how think all of the 90s glory era stuff like NWO, austin, rock, DX etc... was any good.

That's basically the same timeline youngins view the attitude era now. In a few years, it'll officially be 20 years since it started. Crazy to think about..

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
I think it's different now than it was when we were growing up. For one nostalgia is a big selling point for the WWE, guys like Austin and Rock are heralded as being legends that should be revered.

Especially in comparison to the mid-90s when the older vets were pretty much called :flabbynsick: by Vince and Co. Also the stuff from the 90s is a lot closer to what the kids of today are use to watching in-ring wise. If you go back and watch stuff from the 60s and 70s, from an in-ring standpoint, for a kid use to the wrestling style of the late 80s/90s it would be pretty much unwatchable.

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
it's different I think. there's a better connection now then there was when we were kids. literally everyone that was a star in the 90s has had some type of impact on wrestling in the last 5 years.

DocZulu

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The stuff from the 70's and early 80's that was slow and plodding still seems boring to me. Yet I am inspired by the intense matches, particularly those with wild crowds.

Those matches are based on smart booking designed to enthrall viewers. Promotions created clearly demarcated rules and sharply defined characters.

So, even though a lot of the product has changed, there are aspects of it that were superior. The booking was better in the 70's and 80's, and the bookers in the 90's adapted storylines to fit the staging, music and pageantry of the latter 20th century.

Let's forget the WWF for the moment.

The NWA of Rhodes, Windham and Flair is far superior to anything WWE put out in the last 5 years. Hell, the tag scene alone defecates on WWE's 2013 & 2014 World Title scene...and that is the only championship that WWE cares about.

The Attitude Era is like the Golden Age of Hip Hop. It serves as a model for future generations of fans, wrestlers and bookers. I am quite glad I witnessed both.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
To a extent, although WWE puts too much hype into the Attitude Era. To be honest it was just the Era when Vince beat WCW. Although the problem WWE tries to hard, is that they are also trying to move away back into a place where 3 Black Men can Jigaboo into white peoples hearts.

The Attitude era destroyed the Hogan era of wrestling. When you had clear cut faces and heels, and not who the fans admired. Austin was a face and heel because people could love the Rock more. Where in Hogan's era, if he fukked someone over with a chairshot for a DQ against a heel he still be cheered.

WWE cannot escape it no matter what. They don't need to do everything, but people want to see real wrestlers with real gripes.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
They probably aren't too familiar with it, i'm 24 and dont ever watch anything before 97

Daps
Actually, i could see a 00' kid looking at the Attitude Era like :wtf: solely based off the the dingy camera work compared to the 1080HD WWE programming is in nowadays

That is funny you said this because i used to watch "WCW Slamboree" when WCW would bring back legends and be like...

Vader's fat manager, Harley Race, was a big deal at a time along with Magnum TA, The Varsity Club, Abdullah The butcher, etc

Who are these old fukks :beli:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It's almost 2015. We still talk about Austin/Rock and the attitude era all the time. It still gets referenced a ton by WWE.

How do you think the 6-15 year olds currently watching feel about it? Do you think they view old clips as lame or cool?

I remember watching is a kid in 1995, and stuff from the 70s seemed to dated and lame to me. I have a much greater appreciation for it now but it seemed very un-hip as a kid. I wonder if kids how think all of the 90s glory era stuff like NWO, austin, rock, DX etc... was any good.

That's basically the same timeline youngins view the attitude era now. In a few years, it'll officially be 20 years since it started. Crazy to think about..
Just go to youtube..they worship Steve Austin and the Rock and constantly say things like this "I wish I could of been around when the crowds were that insane every single show" What the young and teenage viewers notice about the Austin/Rock/N W O years is that the crowds were SO fukking absurd and loud for every segment there was...D LO Brown getting HUGE D LO SUCKS chants at Rock Bottom 98 and shyt like that. They notice that shyt..that's the one big stand out that is always commented on.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Probably...

I mean there are some people from the late-90s that are still recognized to a kid who may have been watching for the last 5 years. But a lot of them are probably just "old guys". You got ur certain kids here and there who like lookin' at some of the old stuff just to see what was there before we got here, but I can't imagine that the average 10-year-old has any particular interest in the Attitude Era.

Speaking for myself, I eventually got interested in knowing who the greats were before my time... but most of it was and still is unwatchable. I acknowledge Bruno for who he is, and acknowledge that he def. deserves to be Hall of Fame and all. But I can't tell you I've ever watched a Bruno match in its entirety. When I would watch older stuff, it was more like :ohhh: "so Harley Race was the shyt before he turned into the fake king" :ohhh: "so that was Steamboat before he was the Dragon" :ohhh: "oh, so that's who was the champion before Hogan came"... good to watch for references' sake, but it took til way later before I was able to appreciate it better. Like right now, there's probably a kid lookin' at the Network and might laugh at seeing Mark Henry before he was "Hall of Pain" or Triple H as "Hunter"... but interested enough to watch a PPV all the way thru? Probably not. Sad as it is, a Raw from 1997 is likely super-old to them. No member of the Hart Foundation or even Austin or Foley is presently relevant to a kid who's only been watching for 5 years.

I wonder this some times about TV shows like 'Martin'... it likely looks just as old to a kid as "the Jeffersons" looked to me. The humor's still there, but even some of that references things they won't even get.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
To a extent, although WWE puts too much hype into the Attitude Era. To be honest it was just the Era when Vince beat WCW. Although the problem WWE tries to hard, is that they are also trying to move away back into a place where 3 Black Men can Jigaboo into white peoples hearts.

The Attitude era destroyed the Hogan era of wrestling. When you had clear cut faces and heels, and not who the fans admired. Austin was a face and heel because people could love the Rock more. Where in Hogan's era, if he fukked someone over with a chairshot for a DQ against a heel he still be cheered.

WWE cannot escape it no matter what. They don't need to do everything, but people want to see real wrestlers with real gripes.

Nah...it was more than that. The material was better and more complex..more thought out...the feuds, the mic work was MUCH, MUCH more natural. The theme songs were better..everyone was trying and everyone found a spot and weren't utterly jobbed out like slaves on a field looking for the hope of cold water. It mattered back then. These days? Everyone is lazy and really have no balls. John Cena, the one they prop up the most, is one of the laziest pieces of trash in wrestling history. Mails it in without thinking every week. Same typical promo. Doesn't step it up in the ring unless he's around a Bryan or Cesaro. That's not good. That's average and something a midcarder like a Owen Hart would never be like.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Nah...it was more than that. The material was better and more complex..more thought out...the feuds, the mic work was MUCH, MUCH more natural. The theme songs were better..everyone was trying and everyone found a spot and weren't utterly jobbed out like slaves on a field looking for the hope of cold water. It mattered back then. These days? Everyone is lazy and really have no balls. John Cena, the one they prop up the most, is one of the laziest pieces of trash in wrestling history. Mails it in without thinking every week. Same typical promo. Doesn't step it up in the ring unless he's around a Bryan or Cesaro. That's not good. That's average and something a midcarder like a Owen Hart would never be like.

I agree with most of this aside from "the material was better and more complex" - a lot of Attitude Era stuff was straight garbage that suited the Crash TV style

Val Venis's dikk getting "chopped off"
Terri faking a miscarriage after D'Lo knocked her off the apron
Beaver Cleavage
MEAT
Chaz the woman beater
Bossman driving Show's dad's coffin around a cemetery
Mark Henry & Mae Young

etc etc etc

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I agree with most of this aside from "the material was better and more complex" - a lot of Attitude Era stuff was straight garbage that suited the Crash TV style

Val Venis's dikk getting "chopped off"
Terri faking a miscarriage after D'Lo knocked her off the apron
Beaver Cleavage
MEAT
Chaz the woman beater
Bossman driving Show's dad's coffin around a cemetery
Mark Henry & Mae Young

etc etc etc
That's not the majority..that's just the worst of the worst. The stuff was adult/teen oriented...the sex factor was pushed, tag teams had rivalries, factions had wars, people truly gave a fukk about the IC title, the IC Champion(Rock) was treated like that next top guy..as was Austin(97). Shamrock was the only real botch on that level and they apparently had some thing against Jericho or should I say Cripple H did by 2000 when he was easily the next guy who should of went to the top. It never made sense for Angle to get the title before Jericho but that's how they did it and it all worked out because they could be sheltered from any bad decisions or fall out because the Austin/Rock fanbase was through the roof.