Tony Allen's No. 9 to Be Retired by Memphis Grizzlies

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
As I told @ISO, 'recognition because a player wasn't good for the HOF'-type reasons will have this franchise running out of space in the rafters quick.

If they retire Allen, ZBo and Marc (and possibly Pau) how are they running out of space quick? It's just 3-4 guys and who knows when they'll have a group of guys like that again. If the Staples Center has space for a ton of Lakers jerseys plus Kings jerseys plus title banners from various teams i dont see why any other arena wouldn't have the space for some jerseys. shyt they even gave taylor swift a banner in the rafters at staples center :dead:

Daps
If they retire Allen, ZBo and Marc (and possibly Pau) how are they running out of space quick? It's just 3-4 guys and who knows when they'll have a group of guys like that again.
You can't look at it like this. And don't speak as if Allen, Z-Bo, Marc and Conley are some type of special players that don't come around too often. Apart from M.Gasol (who at his peak was floating in and out of top-10 players in the game conversations), they're either outcasts (Allen/Z-Bo) or really good NBA players (Conley) - Memphis will stumble on these type of players again in the future. And even better ones.
If the Staples Center has space for a ton of Lakers jerseys plus Kings jerseys plus title banners from various teams i dont see why any other arena wouldn't have the space for some jerseys. shyt they even gave taylor swift a banner in the rafters at staples center :dead:
I'm using 'running out of space in the rafters' as a figure of speech, to highlight the bar that's set for the future.

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
So Fisher & Horry jerseys deserve to be up there with Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Kareem, Jerry West & Wilt?! :dahell:

The Lakers would have won rings without Fish & Horry. They were key pieces but they weren't worthy of having their numbers retired
The Lakers would not have won it in 2002 without Horry

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
Knowing the Grizzlies draft history , there will not be many players with the impact of TA/Zach/Mike/Marc in the near future for the Grizz

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The team makes one fluke WCF appearance because every team they played was horribly injured and we are talking about retiring jerseys for most of that roster now. Again, I get that they don't have much history but this move says they aren't planning to have much future either.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
Once a Celtics player; always a Celtics player

TA was easily one of the best (if not the best) perimeter/wing defenders in his day. Memphis was fortunate to have him as a player. Imagine if he, Gasol, Randolph, and Conley all managed to stay healthy/available in the playoffs in the past 5 or so years :ohlawd:

Salute to Mr. First Team All Defense! :salute:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Memphis will stumble on these type of players again in the future. And even better ones.
I don't think they'll have a group like this for awhile with the success, cultural impact, and longevity. This is the NBA.

I wish the Knicks just stumbled upon a core four that lasted a decade, took us to 6 playoffs and past the first round three times, several 50 win seasons, etc.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
You can't look at it like this. And don't speak as if Allen, Z-Bo, Marc and Conley are some type of special players that don't come around too often. Apart from M.Gasol (who at his peak was floating in and out of top-10 players in the game conversations), they're either outcasts (Allen/Z-Bo) or really good NBA players (Conley) - Memphis will stumble on these type of players again in the future. And even better ones.

I'm using 'running out of space in the rafters' as a figure of speech, to highlight the bar that's set for the future.

You a hating ass nikka. Before them Memphis was an NBA afterthought, they gave them a culture and fave birth to the Memphis grind house. The Grizzlies officially went from an expansion team to apart of the NBA fabric due to them.