Tony Yayo Says G-Unit Got Backlash For Working With Eminem

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Tony Yayo has recalled the time when G-Unit received racial backlash because of their affiliation with Eminem in their heyday.

In an interview with VladTV, the G-Unit soldier started by speaking about his relationship with Benzino and the Hip Hop group Made Men. He then spoke about Eminem’s cerebral ability to process conflicts in music before revisiting the hate they received for working with him.

“We even got called house n-ggas for fukking with Eminem,” Yayo said. “The Source, they would take it to a whole ‘nother level. That’s when the disrespect for me was like, well damn, what does color have to do with anything with music? What does color have to do with anything with people? I don’t care what color or religion you are. That’s just me. We from New York. It’s a melting pot of people.”

He continued: “We grew up around all kinds of people, so I don’t give a fukk what color you are. I don’t look at you as a culture vulture ’cause you white. That could be somebody else’s opinion. It’s not mine. Melle Mel said something about Eminem. [Eminem] did more for me, him and 50, than anybody has ever done in my career.

“Till the day it’s all said and done, I’ma shout-out Eminem. But everybody always blow shots at Eminem. He wouldn’t be on [Billboard‘s Top 50 Greatest Rappers of All Time] list … if he wasn’t a fukking lyrical tyrant. If he wasn’t fukking nice with it, they wouldn’t be mad at him.”

Watch the interview clip below:

Tony Yayo’s recollection of G-Unit’s relationship with Eminem mirrors others forms of criticism the Detroit rap icon faced early in his career.
In a revealing op-ed for XXL in 2022, Slim Shady reflected on his iconic career, which he explained started out a bit rocky due to the color of his skin.

“When things started happening for me, I was getting a lot of heat, being a white rapper, and XXL wrote something about that,” Eminem wrote. “I remember going to one of those newsstands in New York when the magazine had just started out, and I bought that and a couple of other rap magazines. I flipped to the last page first and XXL was dissing me. What the fukk?

“I don’t even know if I read the whole article — I was used to reading things like that about me — but it hurt because I felt they didn’t know me to make that kind of judgment,” he added. “Coming up, I had to deal with that a lot. I wanted to be respectful because what I do is Black music. I knew I was coming into it as a guest in the house. And XXL, The Source, Rap Pages and VIBE were Hip Hop bibles at the time.

“I understood, at the same time, everybody’s perception of a white guy coming into Hip Hop and all of a sudden things start happening for him. So, if XXL would’ve even had a conversation with me, maybe they would’ve understood me more.”

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
fukk Eminem's crying a$$, he benefitted from being white far more than it hurt him

tired of Eminem and his stans acting like Em is the rap Jackie Robinson or some sh*t

if Eminem was Black nobody would even know who dude is in 2023, and definitely wouldn't be on any goat list

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
After hearing him talk about it on Drink Champs, I get it. I get it completely.

They were having sit downs with people acknowledging how good 50 was, but wouldn't sign him because of the street issues he had. Em, a white dude who had everything to lose, took the heat and brought him to Dre and knowing Dre, he too probably didnt want the heat with how he left DR. 50 was blackballed for real for real. As he said, he could have stayed on Columbia, but with the Irv Gotti connections he would have starved to death.

Jefferson Jackson

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Wave Rider
bro you can't post this without the Drink Champs clip where Yayo imitates Em trying to pull up on Suge....

security holding Em back:

Yayo imitating Em's white boy voice"I don't give a fukk man!"

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
fukk Eminem's crying a$$, he benefitted from being white far more than it hurt him

tired of Eminem and his stans acting like Em is the rap Jackie Robinson or some sh*t

if Eminem was Black nobody would even know who dude is in 2023, and definitely wouldn't be on any goat list
I agree. He's elite on a technical level as an mc but so are other black rappers. If he was black, he would be Pharoah Munch status

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps

He rapped about this already.. he knows :heh:

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches

If he was black, he coulda oretended to be a kingpin and probably be in most n1ggaz top 5

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They were having sit downs with people acknowledging how good 50 was, but wouldn't sign him because of the street issues he had. Em, a white dude who had everything to lose, took the heat and brought him to Dre and knowing Dre, he too probably didnt want the heat with how he left DR. 50 was blackballed for real for real. As he said, he could have stayed on Columbia, but with the Irv Gotti connections he would have starved to death.

:ehh:

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Exactly. That is why Eminen signed him under Shady if there was any blowback.

I don’t understand why folks don’t get this. This is why 50 stays loyal to him. Without Em going to bat for him, respectfully, where would 50 be now?

Last edited:

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

My man here acting like he is posting a hot take. Eminem has acknowledged this several times.