Trade school or College for IT?

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Edit* or certs

Trying to see which one would be a better option.

Last edited:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
When it jobs ask for diplomas, is it usually general? Or does it have to be tech specific. Because I'm about to go into stem now because my semester is coming up, but if I can't do stem. I'll just get a degree In what I can and go from there.

Start with trade school first, go to college once the jobs start requiring diplomas

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Trying to see which one would be a better option.
Community College/JUCO. A lot of stuff thought at trade schools are also thought at Community Colleges/JUCOs. But the classes are usually way cheaper at Community College/JUCO than they would cost at a trade school.

The BasedFather

Task Force
Daps
Reppin
Bltch Mob
Trade school because I’m in HVAC and you’ll always need tradesmen. Jobs are abundant and you make cake:myman:

I was going into IT and gonna take the comptia, but dropped it :manny:

IT is cool tho and you get paid the more certs and experience you obtain, which could take years.

Lots of people in IT tho. Trade jobs are open because people wanna be white collar.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I have an AA already and am going to university. Think it wouldn't be wise to drop out and go back to cc for an associates in IT? I was gonna major in it for uni, but idk if I'll pass, so I was just gonna get whatever degree I can and get certs.

Community College/JUCO. A lot of stuff thought at trade schools are also thought at Community Colleges/JUCOs. But the classes are usually way cheaper at Community College/JUCO than they would cost at a trade school.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I have an AA already and am going to university. Think it wouldn't be wise to drop out and go back to cc for an associates in IT? I was gonna major in it for uni, but idk if I'll pass, so I was just gonna get whatever degree I can and get certs.
If you already have an Associate's Degree, just focus on certs.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Does it matter if it's a general one? I was told to do that to get into uni easier. Also what certs you recommend ?

If you already have an Associate's Degree, just focus on certs.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
If you're looking into getting into IT, I only recommend college if you think you'll be interested in getting into management I have multiple acquaintances in the field, including a friend from high school that currently makes over 75k at Ft. Rucker in cyber security. He went from Air Force ---> civilian. He never finished college. Experience, good interviewing skills, and certs can get you in the door into an entry level position. Further expierence + continued education can put you in the position to make a good living beyond entry level work. You have to really be self motivated but once you get past the entry positions, the field is what you make of it. I won't advise against a degree because having it won't hurt, but again, it's more essential if you're looking into managerial slots. I'm not in IT, but I know our department auto screens for degrees when it comes to lead positions. Regardless, If you know your stuff, you'll never starve. Also be aware that the market matter considerably. You'll be in more demand in say D.C. or Atlanta, GA than you would in Dothan, Alabama or Tifton, GA.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Depends what you want to get into. You honestly don't need college or a trade school to study for certs. The internet has every tool you need.