Training Day really doesn't have any wasted scenes

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'm watching this Double Toasted review of it and they're breaking down just how brilliant the script is. Just about every one of Alonzo's actions throughout the film are done to execute his plan.

Even the scene in the café where he's asking Jake if he smashed the suspect he arrested is just a way for him to dig dirt on him that he could potentially use. A big reason why Training Day is such a rewatchable movie is all the little details in it that you don't notice during your first watch when you're not exactly sure if Alonzo is telling the truth or not.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

I'm watching this Double Toasted review of it and they're breaking down just how brilliant the script is. Just about every one of Alonzo's actions throughout the film are done to execute his plan.

Even the scene in the café where he's asking Jake if he smashed the suspect he arrested is just a way for him to dig dirt on him that he could potentially use. A big reason why Training Day is such a rewatchable movie is all the little details in it that you don't notice during your first watch when you're not exactly sure if Alonzo is telling the truth or not.

He asked him if he smashed his partner, not the suspect.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The random tryst in the middle of the day isn't necessarily a bad scene, though maybe gratuitous, I always felt it conveyed the listlessness of a long day, a small apartment, staring at the tv, into the abyss. But, as far as furthering Alonzo's plan, it probably doesn't really work.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The random tryst in the middle of the day isn't necessarily a bad scene, though maybe gratuitous, I always felt it conveyed the listlessness of a long day, a small apartment, staring at the tv, into the abyss. But, as far as furthering Alonzo's plan, it probably doesn't really work.

I think it makes the ending more impactful though. We see how ruthless Alonzo really is when he's shooting at Jake while his son is close by, then after his "King Kong" speech we see his mistress and kid turn away from him. Don't think either of those scenes have the same impact without the earlier scene.