TravelBrehs when you travel over seas...

L2014

Banned
Daps
How do you put the racism out of your mind?

I always imagine myself on the plane like
triple-h-angry.gif
on my way to a vacation n shyt:dahell:

Does traveling help your world view and erase the bad feelings or experiences you had with the people before going?

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC

triple-h-angry.gif

Does traveling help your world view and erase the bad feelings or experiences you had with the people before going?
How you like that on the plane and nothings happened to you yet?

generic-username

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
The only countries i have traveled to are African countries. I have an uncle in Germany who i have haven't seen since the late 90s, he is married to a German woman and he is always inviting me to come visit him in Germany and see my cousins that i have never met. I keep putting it off, reality is i have no interest in visiting any European country.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
The most racist country in the world is the USA so you got nothing to fear

It's really not...

There are far more racist countries...to the point that racism isn't even seen as a problem...it just doesn't exist...

Black Americans and Black people in America need to stop repeating this...cause I am sure you can find non-White people in South America and Europe that will give you the :hhh:

I mean...we got White people in Europe trying to sink refugee rafts and shyt...

We got White people destroying AmerIndian and Maroon homelands...

As a Black American...overseas you are treated as an American...

You are assumed to have money and the status of American gives you power and status over your fellow non-White citizens in their own country...

Especially if you are lightskinned...that's just how racism and classism works...

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps

triple-h-angry.gif

Depending on where you're going, you might find you may instinctively react to something you would deem racist in the USA but can then use rationale to put your experience into context.

For example, had a young girl I was talking to in Asia say "what's up my nikka" to me one day. Had to tell her that despite what she sees in American movies, Black Americans don't all appreciate being addressed like that. She apologized. When she said the phrase, though, I found in the instant, my body reacted but I felt no anger because I understood I was in a homogenous country, talking to a young girl who had never met a Black person in her whole life, American or otherwise. I didn't mind teaching her. She was truly ignorant.

The same thing happened to me when I lived in North Africa, this time, on the street while I walked past some young boys who didn't even speak English but who seemed to be able to tell I was American, perhaps. That was the first and only time Ive ever been called nikka in public - so ironic it wasnt even on American soil. I was angry initially, even tried to hold on to my anger but soon let it go when I realized it was similar to the first situation. They didn't know any better and because of the language barrier, I couldn't really explain it to them. They were so young, though, it was obvious to me they were just repeating something they had probably heard somewhere and weren't using it the way someone might here towards a black person.

Found when I'm traveling somewhere where the people either are dark like me or at least have color, I'm more willing to relax and even try to talk to someone who is curious, even when their behavior initially strikes me as odd.

Never been or had the desire to go anywhere where the population is majority white though...at least not outside of a layover. I imagine I would be as on edge as you described in your OP.

Where are you traveling to, btw?

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Europe dope

Western Europe for the most part ain't any more racist than USA

Most people either gone ignore your black ass or admire your American style if you dress somewhat decent and/or are a hip hop head

If anything you'll get even less racism since as an American you'll be given damn the same status as whites

L2014

Banned
Daps
How you like that on the plane and nothings happened to you yet?
:pachaha:

Growin up in the states happened to me:francis:

Depending on where you're going, you might find you may instinctively react to something you would deem racist in the USA but can then use rationale to put your experience into context.

For example, had a young girl I was talking to in Asia say "what's up my nikka" to me one day. Had to tell her that despite what she sees in American movies, Black Americans don't all appreciate being addressed like that. She apologized. When she said the phrase, though, I found in the instant, my body reacted but I felt no anger because I understood I was in a homogenous country, talking to a young girl who had never met a Black person in her whole life, American or otherwise. I didn't mind teaching her. She was truly ignorant.

The same thing happened to me when I lived in North Africa, this time, on the street while I walked past some young boys who didn't even speak English but who seemed to be able to tell I was American, perhaps. That was the first and only time Ive ever been called nikka in public - so ironic it wasnt even on American soil. I was angry initially, even tried to hold on to my anger but soon let it go when I realized it was similar to the first situation. They didn't know any better and because of the language barrier, I couldn't really explain it to them. They were so young, though, it was obvious to me they were just repeating something they had probably heard somewhere and weren't using it the way someone might here towards a black person.

Found when I'm traveling somewhere where the people either are dark like me or at least have color, I'm more willing to relax and even try to talk to someone who is curious, even when their behavior initially strikes me as odd.

Never been or had the desire to go anywhere where the population is majority white though...at least not outside of a layover. I imagine I would be as on edge as you described in your OP.

Where are you traveling to, btw?
I need to see the world. I'll never find peace if I don't try to look.