TRIPLE G won the fight..but LOST 28 MILLION DOLLARS by not waiting out the Canelo suspension

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Gennady Golovkin risks $28M for refusing to wait for Canelo Alvarez
Martin Rogers, USA TODAY SportsPublished 6:00 p.m. ET May 2, 2018
TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
If Gennady Golovkin cared only for money, the mere fact that he is stepping into the ring on Saturday night would be an act of stupidity.

For Golovkin, the Kazakhstan fighter known as “GGG,” is putting a whole lot more than the WBA and WBC world middleweight title belts on the line when he fights Vanes Martirosyan. He will be taking a financial risk to the tune of $28 million.

But Golovkin isn’t stupid, he just has priorities that are different from most of the money-hungry masses in the fight game.

“I do not think so much about the business side of it,” Golovkin told reporters on Wednesday. “I suggest (people) change their frame of mind about money. Money is not the most important thing. This is (sports).”
:childplease:

Golovkin’s spring plans were upturned when Mexico’s Canelo Alvarez tested positive for the banned substance Clenbuterol in February and thereby caused their scheduled May 5 rematch to be scrapped, for now at least.

Had Golovkin sat tight until September and waited for Alvarez to serve out his six-month ban from the Nevada Athletic Commission, Golovkin could have guaranteed himself a payday that is expected to land at around $30 million, by the time pay per view revenues are calculated. That pair fought to a controversial draw last September and a repeat battle would be arguably boxing’s biggest fight of the year.

More: Golovkin accuses Canelo Alvarez of being long-term drug cheat

Instead, he decided that having completed so much of training camp already before Alvarez’s indiscretion was unearthed, that he wanted to “remain active.” Yet for his bout with Martirosyan, who will be buoyed by intense support from Los Angeles’ Armenian community, he will receive an estimated $2 million and certainly no greater than $3 million, as the fight will be shown on regular HBO and not pay per view.

And, because this is boxing, simply taking part comes with an inherent risk.

“It is a huge financial risk,” Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler told USA TODAY Sports. “The safe thing would have been to go to September and reschedule the fight. But GGG is not that type of guy. He feels he shouldn’t be penalized with not fighting because his opponent got suspended.

“But he knows that if he doesn’t win on May 5 then there is no Canelo fight. One punch could change his career.”

In truth, it is hard to find any kind of legitimate reason why Martirosyan should become the man to inflict Golovkin’s first defeat as a professional. The challenger is moving up in weight, having boxed his entire career at junior middleweight. Martirosyan has not fought for two years, his last outing coming in a May 2016 defeat to Erislandy Lara. His pro record is 36-3-1 but lacks a big-name victory.

“People can say what they want about the fight,” said Martirosyan, who is trained by Ronda Rousey’s much-maligned former coach Edmond Tarverdyan. “I know that I can give him a lot more trouble that people expect, and a lot more trouble than other people he has fought.”

Yet the unspoken fear in the Golovkin promotional camp has less to do with the prospect of a shock defeat and more around the possibility that their boxer could suffer some kind of unfortunate mishap that would rule him out beyond September — such as a deep cut requiring stitches or a hand injury.

However, once Golovkin’s mind was made up, that was that.

“If you have followed Gennady’s career you will realize that it is always about the sport for him,” his coach Abel Sanchez said. “If money comes with it that is good, but it is boxing first.”

There are significant differences between Golovkin and many of today’s crop of fighters, several of whom have copied the Floyd Mayweather approach of money-first, often at the expense of entertainment and competitive (or risky) fights.

Yet, if all goes to plan and the challenge of Martirosyan is handled as comfortably as expected, without injury or drama, then Golovkin may find himself in an ideal position. Not only will he have had a valuable tune-up and gained some extra money, he will have shown the Alvarez camp that he is not obsessed over the rematch at the expense of all else, which may assist in contract negotiations.

“I just want to fight,” Golovkin said, and this weekend he will, with an approach that is refreshing for the sport, even if it somewhat less than financially prudent.

Gennady Golovkin risks $28M for refusing to wait for Canelo Alvarez

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
this article as stupid as it is would have some relevance IF GGG didnt get in the ring last night and pick up a quick bag lol

tell a 36 year old champion fighter to be inactive on his own merit because of his opponents shortcomings for a year brehs :hhh:

some fight better than no fight

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
GGG likes to stay active, this is probably longest time he has gone between fights for about 7-8 years.

While Canelo is the money fight, its not like GGG isnt without options within his division and GGG isnt going to wait around for Canelo, like Canelo is going to wait for him to become :flabbynsick:, so he has a better chance to beat him.

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
this article as stupid as it is would have some relevance IF GGG didnt get in the ring last night and pick up a quick bag lol

tell a 36 year old champion fighter to be inactive on his own merit because of his opponents shortcomings for a year brehs :hhh:

some fight better than no fight

you call that shyt a "FIGHT" ?? :mjlol:

look at all the responses to the GGG vs MARTIROSYAN about how much of a WASTE OF TIME it was

GGGoodBoys Presents: "Look at what Clenelo caused.." Gennady Golovkin vs Vanes Martirosyan HBO 5/5

boxing fans were disgusted to see this "hustle" take place on Cinco De Mayo....

and if GGG sole intention was to pick up a "quick bag" instead of holding out for a REAL FIGHT and PAYDAY with Canelo or Jacobs

then he just contradicted all that talk he did in that article about .."im about the sport ..not about the money"

:camby: yeah right.......

these are PRIZEFIGHTERS.......and fans want to see GREAT PRIZEFIGHTS!!!

thats why they had to move that shyt off PPV to regular HBO cause NOBODY was trying to see that SHAM OF A FIGHT...

INCLUDING YOURSELF :umad:

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
you call that shyt a "FIGHT" ?? :mjlol:

look at all the responses to the GGG vs MARTIROSYAN about how much of a WASTE OF TIME it was

boxing fans were disgusted to see this "hustle" take place on Cinco De Mayo....

and if GGG sole intention was to pick up a "quick bag" instead of holding out for a REAL FIGHT and PAYDAY with Canelo or Jacobs

then he just contradicted all that talk he did in that article about .."im about the sport ..not about the money"

:camby: yeah right.......

these are PRIZEFIGHTERS.......and fans want to see GREAT PRIZEFIGHTS!!!

thats why they had to move that shyt off PPV to regular HBO cause NOBODY was trying to see that SHAM OF A FIGHT...

INCLUDING YOURSELF :umad:

were punches thrown? did a knockout not occur? i believe that is a fight :russ:

boxing is a hustle....you with your pseudo haymon-esque business babble should understand that but you dont understand the boxing side of things :umad:....seeing great prizefights which would actually contradict what you post...not minelol

GGG is 36 hes not stupid...he likes being active and he knows that canelo fight is on the table...he made the appropriate decision to him for the time table he got and the training camp he had

he got in some work picked up a milly for his efforts and kept it movin towards other pertinent business at hand

jacobs had his shot...he missed a weigh in, he fought scared, got dropped, and sunk to his knees at the end of the fight...and what great prize fights has he been in since to make his case for a rematch that ppl want to see? :patrice:

to wait a year would make him no better than cats in haymons stable that do this willingly and not necessarily with having great prizefights in mind

didnt like the vanes fight because vanes was inactive...i have nothing against vanes the fighter...hes a good fighter just not who i wanted him to face..but he is a "prizefighter" he fought for money (don king all but confirmed this) and got a title opportunity to boot..sound familiar?

but because i am a fan of boxing (not just follow whoever haymon has in his stable :umad:) and of GGG i sat down on my lounger full of mexican food and liquor at 11 pm at night in front of my TV watch 2 women fight in a co main and GGG put in some work...no losses there

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
were punches thrown? did a knockout not occur? i believe that is a fight :russ:

boxing is a hustle....you with your pseudo haymon-esque business babble should understand that but you dont understand the boxing side of things :umad:....seeing great prizefights which would actually contradict what you post...not minelol

GGG is 36 hes not stupid...he likes being active and he knows that canelo fight is on the table...he made the appropriate decision to him for the time table he got and the training camp he had

he got in some work picked up a milly for his efforts and kept it movin towards other pertinent business at hand

jacobs had his shot...he missed a weigh in, he fought scared, got dropped, and sunk to his knees at the end of the fight...and what great prize fights has he been in since to make his case for a rematch that ppl want to see? :patrice:

to wait a year would make him no better than cats in haymons stable that do this willingly and not necessarily with having great prizefights in mind

didnt like the vanes fight because vanes was inactive...i have nothing against vanes the fighter...hes a good fighter just not who i wanted him to face..but he is a "prizefighter" he fought for money (don king all but confirmed this) and got a title opportunity to boot..sound familiar?

but because i am a fan of boxing (not just follow whoever haymon has in his stable :umad:) and of GGG i sat down on my lounger full of mexican food and liquor at 11 pm at night in front of my TV watch 2 women fight in a co main and GGG put in some work...no losses there

okay i see you taking this shyt personal..............cause you up here pulling "HAYMON'S" name out yo azz :lolbron:

Hey playboy this shyt ain't got nothing do with that LAME AZZ SHAME OF A FIGHT that occured saturday night or my personal "bias" in regards to Mr. Haymon's business model which i highly admire and im mature and intelligent enough to criticize as i have done on a number of occasions...

i don't :cape: for every boxer in the Haymon's camp..you can ask @Newzz when i use to shyt on Broner as being nothing more than a "mixtape boxer" who was an embarrasment to not only the Haymon brand but boxing in general.....

and for the record VANES himself was a Haymon Boxer until recently when he decided to hop his azz in that Don King frying pan cause he was "upset" he wasn't getting the "look" he felt he deserved...truth of the matter is VANES didn't deserve a good look...he was always a "wash" and it showed saturday

\

the subject is whether the "fight" was worth anybody's time.....and the general consensus is that it wasn't :manny:

I could have attended that fight as well

Hell I didn't even turn on my Tv to watch the bullshyt

i get press credentials to a number of bouts within a year not only due to my past profession but my relationship to a former golden gloves boxer and professional champion out of New York whom i've pretty sure you were a FAN of yourself.....youngman if you're such a boxing connoisseur

i attended my first live match in 1994..on what Ring magazine has considered one of the best boxing cards put together of all time....

so im proud of my experiences with LIVE BOXING and will continue to have many more...

maybe one day i'll bless you and your RINGRADIO staff with some the fringe "benifits" of attending some world class fights :obama:

i highly respect fellow media personality in the world of boxing ...we really keep the sport alive... :salute:

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
nikkas talking about this is prizefighting..LSC got paid 750K by Haymon to fight his sparring partner with a full fukking camp and no alternate opponent..but talking about great prizefights :heh: nah :camby:

:rudy: HAYMON is his MANAGER....

A manager's job is to work in his client's best intrest and get him the BIG PAYOUTS

Do you even know the difference between a MANAGER and a PROMOTER breh? :patrice:

you keep throwing HAYMON'S name out in this thread when it has nothing to do with this fight that was being PROMOTED by K2 PROMOTIONS (ggg's promoter) and DON KING (Vanes promote) in association with HBO (which according to many boxing experts should NOT be involved in set up of bouts.....and should just strictly stick to the broadcasting lane of the business)

Its a number of dynamics involved sir that you obviously aren't familiar with ...if Haymon promoted LSC along with the hundred plus fighters under the Haymon MANAGEMENT llc. banner...he would have been found GUILTY of violating the ALI BOXING REFORM act that De La Homo and Bob Azzhole Arum tried UNSUCCESFULLY to have Haymon persecuted because of thier claims he violated antitrust laws by blurring the line between Manager and Promoter...but they just got salty cause of Haymon's ability to lock down all these outlets on television and secure these boxers from thier oppressive regimes....

Federal judge dismisses Golden Boy monopoly lawsuit against boxing manager Al Haymon

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:rudy: HAYMON is his MANAGER....

A manager's job is to work in his client's best intrest and get him the BIG PAYOUTS
haymon paid LSC 750k to fight a sparring partner with a full camp and no change in opponent...sounds like prizefighting to me....what part of that example went over your head? :heh: .better start paying attention to the boxing side of this so contradictions dont get pointed out when you reiterate google searches about haymon's practices breh

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
GGG hate has ppl all over the place :what:
Yall mad he took a stay busy fight on short notice cause HIS OPPONENT CHEATED?
This fight wasn't going be a big deal for a number of reasons yet GGG got a bigger bag than the majority of Haymon managed fighters in 2018 *Gervonta meager ass purse* :patrice:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GGG hate has ppl all over the place :what:
Yall mad he took a stay busy fight on short notice cause HIS OPPONENT CHEATED?
This fight wasn't going be a big deal for a number of reasons yet GGG got a bigger bag than the majority of Haymon managed fighters in 2018 *Gervonta meager ass purse* :patrice:

another contradiction pointed out

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
haymon paid LSC 750k to fight a sparring partner with a full camp and no change in opponent...sounds like prizefighting to me....what part of that example went over your head? :heh: .better start paying attention to the boxing side of this so contradictions dont get pointed out when you reiterate google searches about haymon's practices breh

i never denied the PRIZEFIGHTING aspect of boxing ....but you fail to realize HAYMON is NOT THE PROMOTER WHO PUT THE BOUT TOGETHER

haymon works via various promoters to see what's the best opportunity FINANCIALLY for his fighter ....it's cut and dry breh

you don't know the difference betwen a boxer and a promoter......

where did you learn Business??..

JOB CORP?? :why:

the problem is when you have crakkers like GGG just like De Lo Hoya talking all this LEGACY SHYT about boxing but they are just as much capitilists as Haymon is...

THEY CHERRYPICKED THIS BULLSHYT OPPONENT in effort to keep him in line for bigger paydays down the line with HBO....

it is what it is...THEY ALL GUILTY OF IT......(haymon....ggg camp....don king...arum)

THAT'S PRIZEFIGHTING...WE AIN'T IN THE GLADIATOR DAYS..NO BODY IS FIGHTING FOR HONOR OR GLORY

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
when Canelo sees ggg having empty arena matches for 1 milli :picard:. If im Canelo I tell em 70/30 or go back to fighting for ECW sized crowds :picard:

it definitly is hilarous ..... :mjlol:

and to think they billed this as "MEXICAN STYLE" part 2.....

aint a gottdamn thing about this shyt was mexican .....you had one fighter from Kakistan and the other an Armenian

gggvanesposter.jpg