Troy Ave starts a scholarship in Ronald "Edgar Banga" McPhatter's name

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

- 8ball Investments™ CEO -
Daps
Reppin
Myself
Troy Ave Launches $2k Scholarship in Ronald "Banga" McPhatter's Name

Troy Ave Launches $2k Scholarship in Ronald "Banga" McPhatter's Name

Despite being incarcerated, Troy Ave is continuing to prove a presence out in the world on Monday [June 13], when friends and family gathered to announce a scholarship the Brooklyn rapper has set up in his fallen friend's name. Tracey Collins, who is the mother of Troy [Roland Collins], convened with the coaching staff of the New Utrecht High School football team to present the Ronald McPhatter award to senior defensive end Gianni Penso. The scholarship has been funded through 2020 to promise $2,000 each year to a student athlete who keeps good grades while excelling on the field.

“When my son suggested [the scholarship] from jail I thought it was brilliant,” said Mrs. Collins before referring to McPhatter by his nickname, Edgar. “Edgar would love it, it’s such a good way to represent him.”

Both Troy Ave and McPhatter attended and played for New Utrecht, bringing their friendship, which went back to childhood, all the more closer. Before presenting the award, Mrs. Collins spoke on having viewed McPhatter as another one of her sons, recalling his loyal friendship with Troy and how devastated he was over McPhatter's death. Head coach Alan Balkan shared commonalities between McPhatter and Penso, who will be attending Pace University in the fall. “Both Penso and McPhatter came to New Utrecht a little later in their careers and proved themselves as dynamite athletes and dynamite players,” he said.

“I just want to thank this family,” Penso said from beside the life sized $2,000 check. “Football has taught me a lot, you guys taught me how to be a man, and I’m just so thankful.”

Troy remains behind bars at Rikers Island where he awaits his June 22 court date without bail. Last week it was announced that a grand jury had selected to indict him, but the charges, which were last reported to be for attempted murder and weapons possession, remained sealed. While police have mentioned that they are investigating the possibility of the involvement of another suspect in the May 25 Irving Plaza shooting, Troy is the only person in custody at this time. He faces the potential that charges may be upgraded to murder.

Tone Are - Contributing Writer
Source: dnainfo.com

Free Troy Ave! Dude was probably doing other things before this too. But you know Hip Hop, we always about that negative shyt until its take 2 go 2 court :troll:

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
Good shyt (wasnt his moms just upset with Troy? Looks like it got hashed out maybe)

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

Daps
Reppin
Myself
Good shyt (wasnt his moms just upset with Troy? Looks like it got hashed out maybe)

Probably so. If they were Friends like He and Others close to both of them have said then I don't see why she wouldn't atleast find peace wit him. Especially considering the fact that he wasnt the one who killed him.

Im sure once Troy Ave gets out that they'll be Best Friends. It usually happens that way to people who are close like that

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It's dope but a bit off-topic, an athlete? Brehs need to be able to succeed in life without being handy with balls or bars. There's enough scholarships for athletes, it should've been academic.

But then again the personal and financial ROI of being a part of an nba ballers career
Is higher than of an average computer geek.

Meh you should never complain about charity though. All charity is dope.

Max Goonberg

Superstar
Daps
It's dope but a bit off-topic, an athlete? Brehs need to be able to succeed in life without being handy with balls or bars. There's enough scholarships for athletes, it should've been academic.

But then again the personal and financial ROI of being a part of an nba ballers career
Is higher than of an average computer geek.

Meh you should never complain about charity though. All charity is dope.

The scholarship is in banga's name n he played ball so...

That's like having kobe bryant scholarship for weightlifting

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Troy music glorifies the very things that led to this situation in the first place. I mean, if he comes out reformed that's cool, but I'm cynical enough to think this will be used by his lawyer to paint him in a better light.

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

Daps
Reppin
Myself
Troy music glorifies the very things that led to this situation in the first place. I mean, if he comes out reformed that's cool, but I'm cynical enough to think this will be used by his lawyer to paint him in a better light.

Being cynical doesn't mean that youre right. Regardless of his circumstances, if his friend would've passed away that night then he more than likely would've done this anyway.

And I don't know too much about his music but I know he doesn't go around glorifying violence and drug use in his music. He actually does the opposite when he's interviewed

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

Daps
Reppin
Myself
nikkaz like: "but I wanted 6 sliced pickles on my cheeseburger instead of 5! U fake piece of shyt"