Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I mean, everyone knows it, but he is straight saying it now. :gucci:

"Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please.' Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed. ...

So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’

He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’

I said, ‘Well, in that case I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check because I can’t believe it."

In fundraising speech, Trump says he made up trade claim in meeting with Justin Trudeau

:why:

This is the president of the United States speaking to our closest neighbor, his own personal #1 foreign policy issue is trade deficits, he's starting a trade war, and he doesn't even know whether we have a trade deficit with Canada or not? And when confronted about that by prime minister of Canada he just bullshyts him to his face?"

And then he admits it publicly cause he knows his base doesn't even care. :snoop:

World leaders have to be treating Trump with the respect they'd give a toddler at this point. They speak slowly and sweetly because they know that he doesn't understand much yet and is prone to tantrums, but they know there's no use in engaging as if he were a rational, informed adult.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That’s why he’s successful in business.:ehh:

But he isn't. :gucci:

He's had like 50 companies fail, declared bankruptcy six times, and has constant issues finding funding sources because he's such a toxic asset. :francis:

If he was actually good, he would secure funding easily, because he'd be a good bet. The fact that he's been shut out by every American bank and most foreign ones as well is proof that betting on Trump's business acumen is not a smart bet.

The only reason he's "successful" is that he started out millions of dollars ahead of everyone else and had a daddy who was closely connected to the NY mayor and other political and mafia connections. So he got bids for lucrative government projects even though other groups underbid him, screwed over his clients and his subcontractors in the final product in order to pocket more money for himself, and then used his superior legal resources (due to money and political influence) to screw them over in the courts over and over again. Rinse and repeat.

And even with all that, he made so many mistakes that he'd be straight broke right now if it wasn't for name branding, his reality show, sweetheart loans from Russia, and his refusal to pay the debts he owed. His income stream is solely off his image and connections now, not off of any competence.

Literally his entire career has been leveraging his wealth and connections to prop up his own name, and then using the advantages he was born with to screw over any more competent competitor.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Aaron Blake points out why this is an especially troubling, idiotic admission:

a) because it shows that Trump has no clue what he's talking about on the one issue where he's supposed to know what he's talking about

b) because it shows that he engages in pointless, stupid lies even with people who certainly know he's lying

But the fact that Trump would make up this particular fact is especially remarkable and ominous.

The first reason is that this is perhaps the one issue Trump has focused on for decades: trade. It would be more understandable for him to make things up on guns and immigration, but trade is supposedly the issue on which Trump has been entirely consistent for many years. The idea that other countries are taking advantage of the United States was a talking point long before he became a politician.

President Trump criticized the North American Free Trade Agreement in Phoenix on Aug. 23, saying he would "probably end up terminating NAFTA at some point." (Reuters)

Trump for years has talked about how the North American Free Trade Agreement is such a bad deal. And he threatened Canada with new steel and aluminum tariffs, before he decided to exempt them, for now, as long as the NAFTA negotiations go his way. Yet he didn't even know that the United States runs a trade surplus with Canada!? If he doesn't have that basic a level of background knowledge on an issue he apparently cares deeply about, what does he study?

The second reason is that it was a rather pointless invention. Trudeau knows the truth: He has been involved in policymaking for years and knows these things, because it's very important to his job as a world leader. Why Trump would feel the need to make something up that is of such consequence to Trudeau doesn't even make sense for strategic reasons. It's not as if Trump was going to pull one over on the prime minister and have the Canadians suddenly cave on NAFTA negotiations.

Analysis | Why Trump’s admission that he made stuff up to Justin Trudeau is particularly bad