Tupac, Glocks and In-N-Out: A Football Team's Run-in with the Rapper, Revealed

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
In N Out press release in time for the movie hype

I never heard Tupac mention no In N Out. I'm skeptical. Show me pics or it didn't happen.

Now this whole football team from 20 years ago is all back together, singing kumbiya and telling stories? Who do you know from 20 years ago?

kingdizzy01

ATXBBOY
Daps
Reppin
ATX x Jersey Devil x Little Caribbean/Flatbush MF
tumblr_ofqdfmU8IW1vakv0po1_400.gif

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
So the Long Beach Poly kids played in Vegas. Lost unexpectedly. On the way back they stopped at the In and Out (you know the one) in Barstow.

Let me save everyone 20 min of their time.

After the two buses pulled into the allotted parking spaces along the northern side of the In-N-Out, players wearily rose from the green vinyl seats, when Robert Hollie, the Jackrabbits’ backup quarterback, gazed out a window and said, softly at first, “Yo, it’s Pac!”

“He was right in front of us,” Lara says.

"You can’t miss someone like Suge Knight. He ordered a bunch of hamburgers."

Outside, meanwhile, the remaining players split up. About half went to the nearby outlet shops. Hollie and Gary Barnes, a nose tackle, led a dozen or so teammates toward Tupac. According to multiple witnesses, the rapper had his back toward the players and was speaking loudly—and animatedly, with his hands—tAfter the two buses pulled into the allotted parking spaces along the northern side of the In-N-Out, players wearily rose from the green vinyl seats, when Robert Hollie, the Jackrabbits’ backup quarterback, gazed out a window and said, softly at first, “Yo, it’s Pac!” to the small number of Knight’s Mob Piru members beside him. They were leaning against the black SUVs. At one point, Tupac heard the approaching footsteps and spun. Meanwhile, two of his colleagues pulled out what looked to be Glocks. Hollie, Barnes and the others stopped in their tracks. “Bloods, you can’t be walking up on me like that!” Tupac yelled. “You don’t know me like that!”

“He was extremely paranoid,” Croom says. “He started cursing—he was irate. We were just kids, so it was definitely an overreaction.”

“He yelled, ‘Don’t run up on me!’” Lewis says. “The guys with him were big dudes. Really big.”

According to Rideaux, Tupac looked over the Long Beach Poly group, noted the collective youth and seemed to calm down. Around this point Knight had returned from inside the In-N-Out, and the players were equally shocked to be in his presence. “It was crazy,” Lewis says. “Not your ordinary rest stop break.” Tupac realized the teenage boys did not pose a threat.

“Where are all y’all little nikkas from?” he asked.

“We’re from Long Beach,” Hollie replied.

“Oh, so y’all know my homie Snoop?” Tupac said.

A few nodded. They did indeed.

Everyone seemed to take a deep breath. The Glocks were put away.

“When we first approached Tupac, I wasn’t star-struck—I was scared,” recalled Rideaux. “There was this feeling of anxiety and unease. Growing up in Long Beach, you had these moments when the police would pass you and slow down to question you, even though you did nothing wrong. And you get that anxious feeling in your stomach. That’s how this felt at first.

“But because of the way Tupac embraced our group, it got a little lighter. A couple of guys peeled off as soon as they saw the guns and heard him talk angrily. But those of us who stayed around connected with him. It was brief, but it was a little connection. So that was nice.”

052d724ba95cc7dcdb48a87d73d506bb_crop_exact.jpg

(Chris Kindred for B/R Mag)

All told, the exchange lasted four or five minutes. Some of the players who immediately bolted the scene informed the coaches of the guns, and the remaining Jackrabbits were ordered back to the buses. “We had to shoo them away from Tupac,” recalls Richmond. “School trip, the kids are your responsibility.”

With that, the Long Beach Poly entourage set off on its way back home. As the buses pulled out from the In-N-Out lot, a couple of players yelled toward Tupac, who was well out of shouting distance.

“Yeah, go fukk yourself, Pac!” a Jackrabbit said.

“fukk you, Pac!” said another.

“There was one guy coming on our bus, and I won’t give up his name,” Croom says. “But he screamed, ‘That’s why you got shot! And the next time I hope you die!’”

A pause.

“That stuck with me,” Croom says. “It really stuck with me.”

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Good story, I want to say I've been to that In N Out in Barstow, though it may have been Bakersfield, when I was a kid with my Mom, we always stopped there. I loved the imagery and symbolism, and fusion of the mundane (Fast Food, football games) with life, death and celebrity in mid 90's Southern Cali, you can feel the heat in Barstow and smell the In N Out. I do think it's believable, mostly, no real reason to doubt much of it, as it's remembered by several former coaches. Though, it could very well be some interpretation of creative non-fiction, as in most of that happened. I mean, dozens of people must have had interactions with Pac in the years before his death, and even the week of. Though, I want to say they drove out to Vegas in a convoy of cars, including the BMW.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
people always assume his darker song lyrics were just romanticizing doom and gloom, but he was in fact pouring his soul into them songs. They mistake Pac talking about the struggle as some poetic 'woe is me' theatrics but he really was suffering that much. He really was that paranoid. He really cared that much. His music was autobiographical to the point I almost wish he was just making it up. Dude lived an intense life.